Militias and armed citizens taking post at recruiting stations

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I think if you accidentally shoot off your gun
while on guard duty, you have disqualified yourself
for guard duty, until you take another training course.

It's called "basic training." Takes a few weeks. And most of those wannabees wouldn't make it.

Just saying.

zoo22

A brave Knight Templar standing at his post at the Marine recruitment center. He doesn't have a gun permit, so he uses his homemade bow & arrows.

Recruiting Station Defended By Knight In Full Regalia

Nutcase_Militia_Knight_Templar.jpg

Nothing says "Join the Marines" "crazy" like a Knight Templar.

I worry that if the Muslims show up on horses, with sabres, he might wind up in a world of pain. I wonder if he brings a homemade battle axe or something, for close combat.

Quetzal

A brave Knight Templar standing at his post at the Marine recruitment center. He doesn't have a gun permit, so he uses his homemade bow & arrows.

Recruiting Station Defended By Knight In Full Regalia

Nutcase_Militia_Knight_Templar.jpg

Nothing says "Join the Marines" "crazy" like a Knight Templar.

I worry that if the Muslims show up on horses, with sabres, he might wind up in a world of pain. I wonder if he brings a homemade battle axe or something, for close combat.
I find the chubby girl in the corset to be a sight as well.

fool

Hall of Fame
The few, the proud, the bat guano crazy.

Nutcase_Militia_whichoneis_Nick_M.jpg

After "guard duty" is over they go home, get drunk, pose in the mirror with their "uniforms" and guns, post on TOL, and accidentally fire a few rounds into the neighbor's house.

What a freakshow.

I'd be friends with them.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Probably not. No matter, they are willing to defend your homeland.

I would prefer that be done by professionals who are less likely to shoot themselves or innocent bystanders. If there are more these attacks, the Marines have many extremely competent and deadly riflemen who have experience in dealing with terrorists in an urban environment.

And we can be sure that they won't panic or do massive damage to innocent people when the balloon goes up.

rexlunae

:AMR: Are we both reading the same Oath?

The oath of enlistment, which says that they'll follow the orders of the President. Otherwise known as the head of the government. Officers take a different oath, but enlisted soldiers swear an oath to obey the government in that sense.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
The oath of enlistment, which says that they'll follow the orders of the President. Otherwise known as the head of the government. Officers take a different oath, but enlisted soldiers swear an oath to obey the government in that sense.

They swear an oath to obey the President and their commanding officers insofar as their orders fall under lawful circumstances as defined by the UCMJ....Not exactly the same thing. :nono:

:plain: The "Government" is a whole lot bigger than the Chief Executive and the US Military command structure.

They "defend" and swear allegiance ONLY to the U.S. Constitution.

rexlunae

They swear an oath to obey the President and their commanding officers insofar as their orders fall under lawful circumstances as defined by the UCMJ....Not exactly the same thing. :nono:

The UCMJ...passed by Congress, signed by the President, reviewed by the Supreme Court? That code of justice?

:plain: The "Government" is a whole lot bigger than the Chief Executive and the US Military command structure.

They "defend" and swear allegiance ONLY to the U.S. Constitution.

Sure. And they obviously aren't bound to follow an unlawful order. But that just draws in more of the government, and the fact of the matter is that the Constitution isn't a stand-alone document. Honoring the Constitution implies honoring all sort of other laws and executive authorities. If the government were tyrannical, as was suggested, then there's going to be an immediate conflict with the oath. Somehow, large numbers of people still figure out how to serve.

The truth is, calling the government tyrannical isn't really a statement of fact, but rather a pro-forma signifier of conservative identity.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Probably not. No matter, they are willing to defend your homeland.

The military doesn't want them there. Do you even care what the military makes of this?

Support our troops, unless you disagree with what they actually say.:bang:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
If the government were tyrannical, as was suggested, then there's going to be an immediate conflict with the oath.

Well....Actually that was my point in a greater sense. :plain:

The truth is, calling the government tyrannical isn't really a statement of fact, but rather a pro-forma signifier of conservative identity.

:think: Well.....I don't really consider our current government tyrannical....Obnoxious and annoying perhaps, becoming larger and more burdensome by the day definitely, but still a long way from tyranny. My problem was with the oddly persistent foolish idea that the U.S. Military takes and Oath to defend the Government (Kind of like the equally foolish and persistent idea about the job of the police being to "protect" people).

....But either way I have a feeling that this will be an exercise in the two of us just trading semantics. :chuckle:

rexlunae

Well....Actually that was my point in a greater sense. :plain:

:think: Well.....I don't really consider our current government tyrannical....Obnoxious and annoying perhaps, becoming larger and more burdensome by the day definitely, but still a long way from tyranny. My problem was with the oddly persistent foolish idea that the U.S. Military takes and Oath to defend the Government (Kind of like the equally foolish and persistent idea about the job of the police being to "protect" people).

....But either way I have a feeling that this will be an exercise in the two of us just trading semantics. :chuckle:

I think protecting the government is essentially entailed by the oath, with a few caveats. But I will, of course, grant that this requires a bit of interpretation.