Mike Gamble leads the way out of public schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentientsynth

Free public schools is one of the basic tenets of communism. It's the perfect vehicle to indoctrinate the young. Read a first grade science book sometime. I guess if you're going to teach ridiculous ideas such as abiogenesis, macroevolution, and big bang cosmology, then you must start at a very young age.

I myself was taught at public schools my whole life. But I consider myself lucky, as the schools I attended always had some form of gifted program geared toward accelerated learners, and which taught the subjects on a much broader and deeper level, with teachers who actually enjoyed engaging the students in critical thought. The other students were always very interested in what we were taught, and wished that they too could be in those classes. I'll never forget telling my fellow third graders what a dictator was. They didn't seem too interested in memorizing the Gettysburg Address, however.

The problems facing public schools seem to me insurmountable only due to the world-view that governs them. Pluralism leads to privatization, which in turn leads to alienation from our peers. The final result is a broken society. It will only be when our educational leaders see that the knowledge of God is the essential aim of all education and understanding that the school system, and country in general, will once again be on the right track.

SS

Balder

SentientSynth,

I don't quite follow what you're saying. You seem to be dismissing public schooling as a communist propaganda vehicle in one breath, then undermining that argument in the next by showing that you were not indoctrinated in them and actually had a chance to learn to think critically.

You also suggest that complete privatization may lead to fragmentation and other problems (with which I agree).

Can you state more clearly what your position is?

sentientsynth

Balder,

I mention that public schools are one of the tenets of communism not to mean that they're primarily, necessarily propaganda machines (though they very well may be.) I mention it to show that this is one of the many ways that America is becoming more communistic.

I think a lot of good could come of public schools. They aren't necessarily bad in themselves. But the public school system is in some trouble, if I follow the news right. And with so much controversy surrounding the very curriculum taught to the youth, public schools aren't the way to go for Christians, I don't think.

It's a complicated matter. Much more could be said, I guess. I'm no expert in this matter. Just my two cents.

SS

Balder

As a person with religious and moral sensibilities, and with a young son, I am very concerned about the quality of public schools. I do not have a problem with modern scientific theories being taught there (I do not find them ridiculous, just incomplete), but I am concerned in particular about the "culture" of public schools in other ways, both in terms of guiding philosophy and in terms of the strong imprint of violent and vulgar popular culture there.

I participate on another forum dedicated exclusively to the discussion of the reformation of education. I am deeply interested in this topic, although I am not an expert in the area by any means. At present, I see more "hope" in small private schools than public ones, in terms of getting a decent education, but I am also not fond of the idea of getting rid of public schooling altogether. Doing that may place education out of the reach of many. I also have accrued a very large debt on my own end, finishing my higher education at a private institution, and that is a difficult way to start out life, saddled already with such financial burdens. I have friends in Europe who received excellent higher educations and who are able to enter society productively, without being saddled to a mortgage-sized debt at the outset.

It's a tough issue, though. One we all need to think through.

Hasan_ibn_Sabah

You are a liar...so all those rabbi's who educated Jewish children like Jesus for free were communist, so
those Christians who taught slaves how to read and write were communist...free education has been around long before the advent of communism and long before Karl Marx was even born...your thinking is flawed...I smell the stench of Ayn Rand on you.

Balder

I also think the equation of free public education and communism is fallacious. More narrow propaganda of the kind that gets voiced around here frequently.

Justin (Wiccan)

sentientsynth said:
Free public schools is one of the basic tenets of communism.

Says who--first and foremost, public schools are not "free." Secondly, the concept started in the Christian church, not with Marx.

History ... what a concept! ;)

It will only be when our educational leaders see that the knowledge of God is the essential aim of all education and understanding that the school system, and country in general, will once again be on the right track.

Cool ... which God? Or would you want to remove non-Christians from your schools, thus making them your untermensch?

Justin (Wiccan)

Hasan_ibn_Sabah said:
...so all those rabbi's who educated Jewish children like Jesus for free were communist....

Um, Hasan, 1st century Jewish schools were not free: they were payed for by the parents, because that's how the teachers supported themselves, kept the building up, and bought supplies.

Hasan_ibn_Sabah

Justin (Wiccan) said:
Um, Hasan, 1st century Jewish schools were not free: they were payed for by the parents, because that's how the teachers supported themselves, kept the building up, and bought supplies.
In Babylon they were free, it was a matter of survival

Justin (Wiccan)

Hasan_ibn_Sabah said:
In Babylon they were free, it was a matter of survival

I'd love to see a contemporary reference to that, but nonetheless, if accurate it is an exception to the rule. Teachers need to buy their bread, too.

Hasan_ibn_Sabah

Justin (Wiccan) said:
I'd love to see a contemporary reference to that, but nonetheless, if accurate it is an exception to the rule. Teachers need to buy their bread, too.

Synagogue fed them, they were paid like any other Rabbi's, educating the children was part of the synagogues duties, parents didn't pay for the education but maintained the synagogue has a whole, like we pay taxes to city hall to maintain certain services

Justin (Wiccan)

Hasan_ibn_Sabah said:
Synagogue fed them, they were paid like any other Rabbi's, educating the children was part of the synagogues duties, parents didn't pay for the education but maintained the synagogue has a whole, like we pay taxes to city hall to maintain certain services

Um, Hasan, that qualifies as "Supported schools," just like our schools are not free, but supported by property taxes. (I know, I'm being pedantic about it, but it's an important distinction to make. ;) )

Hasan_ibn_Sabah

Free education is an important economic strategy, if we are going to maintain leadership and high competitiveness in the world market , we better ensure that the best minds out there get an education, and not only the best minds but we also have to sharpen the minds of those less endowed

sentientsynth

Communism is only a sliver of the spectrum of political philosophy which has been around since man has. America shows inclings of this political philosophy, and is leaning more in this direction as time progresses. I don't recall saying either that communism was bad in itself or that communism began with Marx. Isn't this political philosophy part of my Church history? (And sold their posessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. Acts 2:45)

How about indoctrinating the young? Is that bad? No. Not in itself. Just as long as they're indoctrinated in the truth. Opposing views ought to be voiced with accuracy and precision, along with clear critical discussion around the table.

This would represent the ideal scenario.

So let us ask ourselves: Do this world conform to the ideal scenario?

Not by a long shot.
There is nothing of such integrity that man cannot twist it to his own foul ends. And when corrupted, power hungry men operate the machine of government, the populace is enslaved by the dimming of their wits and the quickening of their blood; the beast which is man is loosed upon his fellow man. Much flesh is destroyed.

Do you understand the meaning of the Georgia Guidestones? Can you read the signs of the times? The rulers are banging the drums of war. ANNUIT OECCEPTIS NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM

Has anyone here ever read anything by G. Edward Griffin?

SS

Status
Not open for further replies.