Mexicans are Dumb and Will Destroy America?

quip

BANNED
Banned
This seems plausible: immigrants tend to be poor, and poor people tend to be stupid.

Statements of asserted plausability such as this makes me wonder if Trad's (grasping his philosophy degree firmly in-hand) standing in a bread line somewhere....:think:

shagster01

Strictly speaking, I don't think that his claim is racist. It sounds racist, but in the strictest sense, it's not racist. The claim isn't that all Mexicans are stupid and are likely to destroy America, or that Mexicans genetically are predisposed to be stupid and destroy America.

What he seems to be saying is that the vast majority of the Mexicans who are immigrating to America are stupid. This seems plausible: immigrants tend to be poor, and poor people tend to be stupid. Like tends to generate like. Poor, stupid parents tend to beget poor, stupid children.

So if you have an influx of poor, stupid, unskilled people (Mexican or otherwise) into the country, people who are likely to generate poor, stupid, unskilled children...how can this not have serious consequences for the country?

I think that his analysis is just spot on. He should have stood his ground.

Stupid how? Is migrating to America stupid? Is finding a way to survive stupid?

I worked in a jail and met some really smart people in there. They would not have passed a literature test, but they could certainly come up with great and innovative ideas.

Pompous professors calling the less educated stupid means nothing. I think measuring people by IQ is stupid. It only covers a certain amount of the brain's usefulness.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
This makes no sense. They are criticizing this guy over a dissertation that he wrote at Harvard. If this guy deserves to resign, then so does his dissertation board (3-4 Ph.D.'s who read and approved the dissertation), as well as the administrators who gave him the Ph.D. based on the approval of his dissertation. What, that's retarded? Because dissertations involve a high degree of scholarship? We shouldn't be concerned about popular vs. unpopular opinions when we're doing academic research? We should let the facts be facts and face them as they come? I agree. And the facts are pretty clear to me.

Link

"A Heritage Foundation scholar has resigned after a firestorm erupted over his 2009 dissertation alleging Hispanics do not have 'IQ parity with whites' and that Hispanic immigrants to the United States will have 'low-IQ children and grandchildren'...Richwine’s Harvard University dissertation, written before his employment at Heritage, asserted that an influx of 'low-IQ' immigrants coming to the country would result in 'a lack of socioeconomic assimilation among low-IQ immigrant groups, more underclass behavior, less social trust, and an increase in the proportion of unskilled workers in the American labor market.' 'No one knows whether Hispanics will ever reach IQ parity with whites, but the prediction that new Hispanic immigrants will have low-IQ children and grandchildren is difficult to argue against,' Richwine wrote."
Mexicans are Dumb and Will Destroy America?

What makes "Traditio" think that one day American "whites" will reach an "IQ" parity of "Mexicans" - despite the best efforts of US federal and state governments to police the border, millions of undocumented Hispanics have been smart enough to bypass these obstacles when entering the country!

Christian Liberty

Strictly speaking, I don't think that his claim is racist. It sounds racist, but in the strictest sense, it's not racist. The claim isn't that all Mexicans are stupid and are likely to destroy America, or that Mexicans genetically are predisposed to be stupid and destroy America.

What he seems to be saying is that the vast majority of the Mexicans who are immigrating to America are stupid. This seems plausible: immigrants tend to be poor, and poor people tend to be stupid. Like tends to generate like. Poor, stupid parents tend to beget poor, stupid children.

So if you have an influx of poor, stupid, unskilled people (Mexican or otherwise) into the country, people who are likely to generate poor, stupid, unskilled children...how can this not have serious consequences for the country?

I think that his analysis is just spot on. He should have stood his ground.

The best way to say this would probably be that poor people tend to have lower IQs, and that the types of people who will illegally tend to be poor (thus lower IQs.) The fact that they are Mexican wouldn't actually be relevant.

I still wouldn't agree with him, mostly because I don't think unskilled labor is going to destroy America.

Morpheus

And I like to point out that the very first plausible scientific warp drive theory was posited by a Mexican physicist in 1994. :D

Trad would likely say that Alcubierre is not an immigrant coming to the US. Maybe he should consider the other consequence of his assertions if he were right. Any intelligent Mexican wouldn't come here, and in the end the rest of the world will intellectually leave us in their dust.

I don't believe that myself since I know many very bright undocumented immigrants. But the only logical conclusion, if only dumb Mexicans come here, is that the smart ones are not dumb enough to want to.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It seems to me that the opposite is true. It's not easy to come here illegally and harder to stay, particularly with more being deported. So we're getting the people with the drive and the intelligence to make it work.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
...also, is there any evidence that Jesus had a particularly high IQ?

Luke 2:40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.

42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.

43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.

44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance.

45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.

46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

shagster01

... interesting. He was asking them questions AND answering them himself.

Either way, is there a lot of religious questions on the IQ test?

resodko

BANNED
Banned

it was His jewish heritage at work

have you not heard that jews answer questions with other questions?

Morpheus

We finally agree on something. Yet Jesus closest disciples were recognized as uneducated rabble by the authorities. In fact, the best educated, the Pharisees, were actually foolish (except for those who saw and became followers themselves). Education does not assure wisdom, and lack of education does not indicate stupidity.

1) A person is either intelligent or unintelligent, falling somewhere along the spectrum.

2) A person is either wise or foolish, also falling somewhere along that spectrum.

3) A person is either educated or uneducated, achieving a particular level along that range.

Yet none of these has much to do with another. Thee are intelligent, educated fools. There are unintelligent, educated fools. There are those who are extremely wise, yet unintelligent and uneducated. Some of the most intelligent among us receive little formal education, yet they can be either wise or foolish.

We need to not confuse our perceptions about people. Doing so is delusion and only reveals our foolishness, no matter what degrees we boast of.

Morpheus

Not to be argumentative, but Socrates answered questions with questions. It did not mean he had no answer. I do so enjoy the various affective teaching methods.

Typically IQ tests are designed to measure reasoning ability, not knowledge. Some are even designed to measure the IQ of someone who is illiterate (even though IQ tests, in general, are not necessarily a good measuring tool). Having said this, the original premise portrayed in the OP is faulty since education and knowledge are not relative to intelligence.

shagster01

Not to be argumentative, but Socrates answered questions with questions. It did not mean he had no answer. I do so enjoy the various affective teaching methods.

Typically IQ tests are designed to measure reasoning ability, not knowledge. Some are even designed to measure the IQ of someone who is illiterate (even though IQ tests, in general, are not necessarily a good measuring tool). Having said this, the original premise portrayed in the OP is faulty since education and knowledge are not relative to intelligence.

Agreed. That was my point about knowing smart criminals.

The Berean

Hey Trad, some good news to share with you. :p

Starting From the Bottom: Why Mexicans are the Most Successful Immigrants in America

Who’s more successful: The child of Chinese immigrants who is now a prominent attorney, or a second-generation Mexican who completed high school and now holds a stable, blue collar job?

The answer depends on how you define success.

In fact, according to a study by University of California, Irvine, Sociology Professor Jennifer Lee and UCLA Sociology Professor Min Zhou, contrary to stereotypes, Mexican-Americans are the most successful second-generation group in the country. The reason is simple: The study considered not just where people finished, but from where they started.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not to be argumentative, but Socrates answered questions with questions.

do you think that was wise of him?

Hey Trad, some good news to share with you. :p

Starting From the Bottom: Why Mexicans are the Most Successful Immigrants in America

Who’s more successful: The child of Chinese immigrants who is now a prominent attorney, or a second-generation Mexican who completed high school and now holds a stable, blue collar job?

The answer depends on how you define success.

In fact, according to a study by University of California, Irvine, Sociology Professor Jennifer Lee and UCLA Sociology Professor Min Zhou, contrary to stereotypes, Mexican-Americans are the most successful second-generation group in the country. The reason is simple: The study considered not just where people finished, but from where they started.

ok ok

we gotta start a new study

get us some fresh chinese immigrants and some fresh mexican immigrants, start them both at the bottom and let them go

The Berean

do you think that was wise of him?

ok ok

we gotta start a new study

get us some fresh chinese immigrants and some fresh mexican immigrants, start them both at the bottom and let them go

This Chinese immigrant started at the bottom and did ok. Well, technically, he was born in San Francisco so does he still count? :p

1279705075_bruce-lee-nunchucks.gif

Last edited: