ECT Matthew 12:40

oatmeal

The evening of Saturday was the beginning of the third day.

and He was raised on the third day, sometime between sunset of Saturday and sunday morning.

that period of time was a night, the first part of the third day.

Up until 6pm of Saturday it was the second day.

Up until Friday 6pm was the first day.

The first day began Thursday at 6pm.

This is the only way which satisfies ALL scripture.

LA

PS.

I think Jesus was resurrected from the dead just after Midnight, Saturday night, but before dawn would still fit.

For that culture, the new day started at sunset, not after sunset.

Where is your third day and night?

Where is the 72 hours?

He was raised before sunset on Saturday, before the onset of the first day of the week, counting 72 hours backwards puts you at Wednesday.

Was Jesus Christ right, accurate, literal and serious in Matthew 12:40?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Would the second day begin Friday at 6 PM?
Would the third day begin Saturday at 6 PM?

At 6 PM Saturday a new day began.

Jesus asked, "Are there not twelve hours in the day?" (John 11:9 KJV)

If we agree that Jesus was right then three twelve hour days would be 36 hours. Three twelve hour nights would be another 36 hours. So three days and three nights would be 72 hours.

oatmeal

Would the second day begin Friday at 6 PM?
Would the third day begin Saturday at 6 PM?

At 6 PM Saturday a new day began.

Jesus asked, "Are there not twelve hours in the day?" (John 11:9 KJV)

If we agree that Jesus was right then three twelve hour days would be 36 hours. Three twelve hour nights would be another 36 hours. So three days and three nights would be 72 hours.

Yes, that would be the most appropriate conclusion.

Jesus was speaking of daylight

The word "day" when used alone could mean various time periods, but when "evening and morning" or "day and night" is used it is referring to 24 hour periods of time.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The evening of Saturday was the beginning of the third day.

and He was raised on the third day, sometime between sunset of Saturday and sunday morning.

that period of time was a night, the first part of the third day.

Up until 6pm of Saturday it was the second day.

Up until Friday 6pm was the first day.

This is the only way which satisfies ALL scripture.

LA

For that culture, the new day started at sunset, not after sunset.

Where is your third day and night?

Where is the 72 hours?

He was raised before sunset on Saturday, before the onset of the first day of the week, counting 72 hours backwards puts you at Wednesday.

Was Jesus Christ right, accurate, literal and serious in Matthew 12:40?

Your view makes Sunday from 6pm Saturday onward, not to be the third day.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

etc.

Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

Just explain that and you would have it.

Christ was raised ON the third day.

Also--

The only sign given the unbelieving Jew was the sign of Jonah.

What you have to show is that being in the belly of the earth refers only to the time of Christs death in the grave.

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Mat 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

The timeline does not fit.. Jesus was not in the grave before He preached repentance to the Jews.

Jonah preached nothing before He was in the whale.

There are two other answers but I withhold them for now.

Scripture can not be broken.

Christ was raised from the dead ON the third day and He revealed Himself to His disciples ON the third day.
LA

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

Jesus was entombed as Thursday began.

It was the day of Preparation and the Sabbath was beginning. (Luke 23:54 RSV)​

That day was a high (Greek megas) day, i.e. an annual Sabbath.

So Jesus was in the tomb Thursday, Friday, Saturday, a period of 72 hours with Sunday being the third day since these things were done.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus was entombed as Thursday began.

It was the day of Preparation and the Sabbath was beginning. (Luke 23:54 RSV)​

That day was a high (Greek megas) day, i.e. an annual Sabbath.

So Jesus was in the tomb Thursday, Friday, Saturday, a period of 72 hours with Sunday being the third day since these things were done.

I think it fits quite well too, except for the third day being sunday from 6pm Saturday on.

oatmeal

Your view makes Sunday from 6pm Saturday onward, not to be the third day.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

etc.

Just explain that and you would have it.

Christ was raised ON the third day.

Also--

The only sign given the unbelieving Jew was the sign of Jonah.

What you have to show is that being in the belly of the earth refers only to the time of Christs death in the grave.

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Mat 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

The timeline does not fit.. Jesus was not in the grave before He preached repentance to the Jews.

Jonah preached nothing before He was in the whale.

There are two other answers but I withhold them for now.

Scripture can not be broken.

Christ was raised from the dead ON the third day and He revealed Himself to His disciples ON the third day.
LA

Your verse brings up another wonderful truth and further substantiates Matthew 12:40

How? I thought you'd never ask!

The word "since" is better translated "away from".

Going back to the tape measure concept of starting with zero, say you are traveling and stop for gas. Someone asks how far you have traveled. You say, you have driven 300 miles away from your starting point. By saying that, you have actually already traveled 300 miles and are in the process of approaching 400 miles.

That is the clearer meaning of that passage, three days have passed thus indicating that they are in the fourth day.

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
That is the clearer meaning of that passage, three day have passed thus indicating that they are in the fourth day.

But the men said the third day not the fourth day.

...and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done. Luke 24:21 KJV)​

Jesus said he would arise on the third day.

And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, "The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men and they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again." (Matthew 17:23 KJV)​

oatmeal

But the men said the third day not the fourth day.

...and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done. Luke 24:21 KJV)​

Jesus said he would arise on the third day.

And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, "The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men and they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again." (Matthew 17:23 KJV)​

Yes, they said third day.

and they meant third day, but third day from what?

Three days had passed thus they are in the fourth day.

The key is the translation of since, as I pointed out, "away from" is the correct translation of the Greek word apo. Away from as away from the circumference of a circle. Not from within the circle but from the edge or circumference of the circle

If you jump up in the air, you are no longer on the earth, you are away from the earth, though for a short time.

When your first birthday occurred, you attained the age of one year, but as soon as you are one year old, the next second you were one year old, the one year is passed, the next day you are no longer one year old, you are one year and one day old.

Someone asks how old you are and your parents say one year old, but you are actually in your second year, not your first year. You are moving away from being one year old, you are in your second year

We must rightly divide passages like this.

If we do not believe that Matthew 12:40 is true and literal then what is true and literal? Is any of scripture true and literal or is it all figures of speech? It is both. Some passages are literal some are figurative, our job as workmen of the word is to learn the difference.

Matthew 12:40 Jesus is speaking literally about the time, but not about the location. "heart of the earth" in the English is figurative, the earth has no organ within that is called the heart. But he could be interrred under the surface of the earth even as the heart is beneath the surface of our bodies.

There is no contradiction between what Jesus spoke and what Cleopas and the other spoke.

Jesus was speaking of the time within the three days but the two were speaking of past, away from, beyond three days

You might have to reread what was written to see the difference

oatmeal

How do you figure? Can you explain?

the key is the word "since"

It is the Greek word "apo" which is defined as "away from" as in a line that starts at the circumference of a circle and goes away from the circle.

The three days and nights of Matthew 12:40 is the circle.

Luke 24:21 it has been three days away from the crucifixion. Three days have passed, thus indicating it it the fourth day.

As stated above, but I will state it differently, if you are in a four mile race, zero miles is the starting line.

You are in the first mile until you are in the second mile, the first mile ends as soon as you are in the second mile. The second mile ends once you are in the third mile, the third mile ends as soon as you are in the fourth mile.

When you are in the fourth mile, you can say, it has been three miles away from the starting line, indicating that the first three miles have been covered, you are now in the fourth mile.

That is the correct principle to use to teach Luke 24:21, in time, they are three days away from the starting point, thus they are in the fourth day, even as having completed the first three miles of the race you are now in the fourth mile.

achduke

If they showed up, they would have known it.

Wednesday evening burial and Saturday evening resurrection, there are three days and nights between the two evenings.

Have you ever used a tape measure or a yardstick to measure a distance? do you start at the one foot mark to start measuring or do you start at the zero point at the beginning.

Jesus died on Wednesday evening, that is the zero starting point.

the first day ends on Thursday evening

The second day ends on Friday evening

The third day ends on Saturday evening.

He was raised the third day.

This is something I posted in another thread. I have been putting the timeline together for a while now.

Nisan 14th Wed (Day) Just before Evening (3PM-6PM Twilight) Christ Crucified and put in Tomb, Preparation Day.
Nisan 15th Wed(Night)/Thu(Morning) (Christ in the Ground 1st Night) Passover Night
Nisan 15th Thu (Day) (Christ in the Ground 1st Day) 1st Day of Unleaven Bread. (Special Sabbath John 19:31)
Nisan 16th Thu(Night)/Fri (Morning) (Christ in the Ground 2nd Night) 2nd Day of Unleaven Bread
Nisan 16th Fri (Day) (Christ in the Ground 2nd Day) 2nd Day of Unleaven Bread. (Mark 16:1) After Sabbath Mary and Mary buy spices.
Nisan 17th Fri(Night)/Sat (Morning) (Christ in the Ground 3rd Night) 3rd Day of Unleaven Bread and Weekly Sabbath.
Nisan 17th Sat (Day) (Christ in the Ground 3rd Day) 3rd Day of Unleaven Bread and Weekly Sabbath
Nisan 18th Sat(Night)/Sun(Morning) Night 4th Day of Unleaven Bread (Christ Risen Toward end of Sabbath) Mary and Mary Visit Tomb. Matt 28:1-6 Just after Dawn.
Nisan 18th Sun(Day) First Fruits (waving of sheaf) Christ is gone to be presented to God.

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
(Mark 16:1) After Sabbath Mary and Mary buy spices.

After the Sabbath the women buy and prepare their spices and then rest on the weekly Sabbath.

And they returned and prepared spices and ointments and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment. (Luke 23:56 KJV)

achduke

After the Sabbath the women buy and prepare their spices and then rest on the weekly Sabbath.

And they returned and prepared spices and ointments and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment. (Luke 23:56 KJV)

They bought the Spices the day (Nissan 16th) after the high Sabbath which is on (Nissan 15th) and then rested on the Weekly Sabbath (Nissan 17th) and then on (Nissan 18th) Early Sunday Morning Visit the tomb.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Jesus did not say He would be in the heart of the earth the same length of time as Jonah was in the belly of the whale.

He said as Jonah was in etc so shall the Son of man be in the heart of the earth 3 days and 3 nights....many commentators [and I agree with them] take the 3 days and 3 nights to mean 3 years of ministry.

oatmeal

But that is not the sign of Jonah.

That is correct. Jonah is not mentioned in Luke 24:21

Matthew 12:40 speaks of Jonah.

Those two verses though related in the same general time frame are not speaking on identical subjects.

The two on the road to Emmaus are not aware of Jesus' resurrection, only his death. They speak of the past.

Jesus, in Matthew 12:40, in speaking of future events in his life, was well aware of his upcoming death and his resurrection.

oatmeal

This is something I posted in another thread. I have been putting the timeline together for a while now.

Nisan 14th Wed (Day) Just before Evening (3PM-6PM Twilight) Christ Crucified and put in Tomb, Preparation Day.
Nisan 15th Wed(Night)/Thu(Morning) (Christ in the Ground 1st Night) Passover Night
Nisan 15th Thu (Day) (Christ in the Ground 1st Day) 1st Day of Unleaven Bread. (Special Sabbath John 19:31)
Nisan 16th Thu(Night)/Fri (Morning) (Christ in the Ground 2nd Night) 2nd Day of Unleaven Bread
Nisan 16th Fri (Day) (Christ in the Ground 2nd Day) 2nd Day of Unleaven Bread. (Mark 16:1) After Sabbath Mary and Mary buy spices.
Nisan 17th Fri(Night)/Sat (Morning) (Christ in the Ground 3rd Night) 3rd Day of Unleaven Bread and Weekly Sabbath.
Nisan 17th Sat (Day) (Christ in the Ground 3rd Day) 3rd Day of Unleaven Bread and Weekly Sabbath
Nisan 18th Sat(Night)/Sun(Morning) Night 4th Day of Unleaven Bread (Christ Risen Toward end of Sabbath) Mary and Mary Visit Tomb. Matt 28:1-6 Just after Dawn.
Nisan 18th Sun(Day) First Fruits (waving of sheaf) Christ is gone to be presented to God.

Yes, that is how I understand it as well according to what I was taught and reviewed in my own studies.

oatmeal

Jesus did not say He would be in the heart of the earth the same length of time as Jonah was in the belly of the whale.

He said as Jonah was in etc so shall the Son of man be in the heart of the earth 3 days and 3 nights....many commentators [and I agree with them] take the 3 days and 3 nights to mean 3 years of ministry.

So then, you do not believe that Jesus was true and literal and serious and accurate about the length of time of his interment?

Would you rather say that Jesus is correct and the commentators are simply commenting?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
So then, you do not believe that Jesus was true and literal and serious and accurate about the length of time of his interment?

Would you rather say that Jesus is correct and the commentators are simply commenting?

The commentators can always be wrong...I think they often are regarding matters concerning the Holy Ghost, I may be wrong, but that is how I have always understood it. I should of course said imho

Last edited: