ECT Matthew 12:40

oatmeal

Matthew 12:40

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Tradition states Good Friday death and Sunday morning resurrection.

That is only three days and two nights

Jesus said three days and three nights

Who is right?

a. Jesus Christ

b. man's tradition

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Tradition states Good Friday death and Sunday morning resurrection.

That is only three days and two nights

Luke said, "And that day was the preparation and the sabbath drew on." (Luke 23:54 KJV)

The term "drew on" means began. As Jesus' body was laid in the tomb a Sabbath began. This leaves two nights and one day.

oatmeal

Luke said, "And that day was the preparation and the sabbath drew on." (Luke 23:54 KJV)

The term "drew on" means began. As Jesus' body was laid in the tomb a Sabbath began. This leaves two nights and one day.

Interestingly, the verse that solves the problem has not been read.

John 19:31

The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

It was not the Passover yet, it was still the day of preparation before the Passover,

The first day of the feast of unleavened bread was the Passover, and was a sabbath regardless of the day of the week the Passover fell on.

If Christmas falls on a Wednesday, people will go to church as if it was Sunday. Why? because that Wednesday would be considered a high day because it is Christmas.

How greatly informative the short phrase," (for that sabbath day was an high day,)" is.

That solves the problem. That sabbath was not the Saturday Sabbath. It turns out it was on Thursday.

Thus Jesus died and was interred on Wednesday evening. Three days and three nights later, he arose on Saturday evening the regular sabbath three days and three nights later.

Wednesday evening to Thursday evening is the first day and night

Thursday evening to Friday evening is the second day and night

Friday evening to Saturday evening is the third day and night.

I learned this from a man who learned to pay attention to what he was reading. VP Wierwille. His book "Jesus Christ our Passover" makes it plain.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day...

I said A Sabbath not the Sabbath as in the seventh day.

And they returned and prepared spices and ointments and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment. (Luke 23:56 KJV)​

There can be as many as three Sabbaths during the seven day Feast of Passover.

oatmeal

I said A Sabbath not the Sabbath as in the seventh day.

And they returned and prepared spices and ointments and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment. (Luke 23:56 KJV)​

There can be as many as three Sabbaths during the seven day Feast of Passover.

yes you did.

are you offended because I took it one step further?

oatmeal

Not at all, I used "a" Sabbath so as it wouldn't be confused with the Sabbath.

Good post.

Thanks, it would be great if others realized that Jesus was serious and accurate and literal when he said three days and three nights

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Interesting, Oats.

How do you deal with these verses

Mat 17:23 And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

LA

oatmeal

Interesting, Oats.

How do you deal with these verses

Mat 17:23 And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

LA

Do you believe what Jesus Christ spoke to be serious, literal and accurate?

How do I deal with those verses? I believe them

What is your question about Matthew 17:23, and Luke 24:1,21?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you believe what Jesus Christ spoke to be serious, literal and accurate?

How do I deal with those verses? I believe them

What is your question about Matthew 17:23, and Luke 24:1,21?

Come now Oats. Do not be like that.

The first day of the week (Sunday) was the third day.

That makes Saturday to be the second day.

That makes Friday to be the first day.

The first day began when?

The first day began Thursday 6 pm approx.

The timing of the three days and three nights was in reference to Him being in the earth (tomb).

They placed Him in the tomb in a hurry before the Sabbath began at 6pm Thursday.

The women could not buy the spices on any Sabbath day yet they did buy them.

On what day did they buy them?

LA

oatmeal

Come now Oats. Do not be like that.

The first day of the week (Sunday) was the third day.

That makes Saturday to be the second day.

That makes Friday to be the first day.

The first day began when?

The first day began Thursday 6 pm approx.

The timing of the three days and three nights was in reference to Him being in the earth (tomb).

They placed Him in the tomb in a hurry before the Sabbath began at 6pm Thursday.

The women could not buy the spices on any Sabbath day yet they did buy them.

On what day did they buy them?

LA

Luke 24:1 what does that tell you?

Does it tell you when God raised Jesus up from the dead?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Luke 24:1 what does that tell you?

Does it tell you when God raised Jesus up from the dead?

So when do you say Jesus rose from the dead?

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mat 27:59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
Mat 27:60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
Mat 27:61 And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre.
Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
Mar 15:43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.

oatmeal

Mat 27:59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
Mat 27:60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
Mat 27:61 And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre.
Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
Mar 15:43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.

Jesus Christ died on the day of preparation. The next day was the Passover.

He did not eat the Passover meal. He was the passover lamb that year. I Corinthians 5:7

Evidently the religious leaders visited Pilate on the Passover.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
6 pm Saturday.

Night comes before day.

Ok, let's work back. Saturday would be one day, Friday would be another day, Thursday would be another day. That's three days.

Now what about the nights? Friday night would be one night, Thursday night would be another night, Wednesday night would be another night. That's three nights.

So we have Wednesday night - Thursday, Thursday night - Friday, Friday night - Saturday. Three days and three nights.