Manganese Nodules: Young or Old?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
bob b said:
In other words: does the expansion of the coordinates of space, with its effect on time, also solve the radiometric dating of rocks problem?
Interesting question. My math skills would not up to the task of evaluating the conditions during the initial expansion you describe.

aharvey

Jukia said:
Oh please, oh please, don't get him started on that. Let him get his Nobel first.
Can't wait that long. I'm just wondering if the "problem" to which he refers is the fact that radiometric dating seems to work so well, because otherwise his statement didn't make a lot of sense!

Jukia

aharvey said:
Can't wait that long. I'm just wondering if the "problem" to which he refers is the fact that radiometric dating seems to work so well, because otherwise his statement didn't make a lot of sense!
I just know that if bob b replies even my hair is going to hurt.

Jukia

aharvey said:
Uh oh, do you get migraines regularly?
No, but that is really interesting.

Is that part of the Designer's plan. Giving us an early warning of nasty debilitating head paid. But if so, how come we had to wait until drugs were available to treat? Not a very compassionate Designer.

fool

Hall of Fame
aharvey said:
What "problem" is that?
The problem with creationists sending samples that are unsuitable for certain tests to labs and having them tested and then crying when the results don't make sense and then claiming "it don't werk!" over and over and over no matter how many times you point out to them that it says right there "all samples in this study contained zenoliths" and point out the fact that Ar-Ar dateing is also needed to compliment the K-Ar dateing and if you do finally pin them in a corner they'll just say "God made them that way in The Begining".
At least I think that's the problem Bob's talking about.

fool

Hall of Fame
Jukia said:
No, but that is really interesting.

Is that part of the Designer's plan. Giving us an early warning of nasty debilitating head paid. But if so, how come we had to wait until drugs were available to treat? Not a very compassionate Designer.
Migraines are another concequence of the fall!
More evidence that Adams' sin doomed all mankind to a constant search for a Pharmacy.

aharvey

fool said:
The problem with creationists sending samples that are unsuitable for certain tests to labs and having them tested and then crying when the results don't make sense and then claiming "it don't werk!" over and over and over no matter how many times you point out to them that it says right there "all samples in this study contained zenoliths" and point out the fact that Ar-Ar dateing is also needed to compliment the K-Ar dateing and if you do finally pin them in a corner they'll just say "God made them that way in The Begining".
At least I think that's the problem Bob's talking about.
No, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure he's considering the fact that radiometric dating works to be "the problem." If the Earth's geology was pretty much formed during the Flood, (or on Creation Monday with some Flood year rearrangements), then you shouldn't see such a reliable relationship between parent and daughter products, in such a broad array of parents and daughters, such a broad array of rocks, such a broad range of stratigraphic depths. Even if radiometric decay constants aren't really constant.

Jukia

The Designer Yhvh Elohim Adonai, The Master, The One and Only Who holds your life in His Hands, Made the remedy for your condition a few years ago(about 6000).

Man screwed it up and prevents you from knowing it.

The drug lords (pharmacy industry) hate you, and will tell you everything except the truth. (I learned this working for them after going to their school. Had to leave. The drug lords won't let anyone work for them who tells the truth.)

In 1902, only 1 out of 50 people sought or needed medicine.
The drug lords didn't think that was enough to make enough money.
The drug lords wanted to make a lot more money,
so they thought to themselves (under control of hasatan) "hmmm, what can we do to sell drugs to EVERYBODY? (or at least a lot more)"
Now, in 2008/9, about 1 out of 50 people do not need nor seek drugs.
(the drug lords are trying to force them to take drugs anyway).
Almost everybody, no, everybody taking drugs has been made that way by the enemy of the Messiah.

The enemy of the Messiah does not allow the natural preventions and the natural remedies DESIGNED BY YHWH
to be used.

But they are, for a short time, still available and not totally censored yet.

the drug lords (& every pharmacy commercial, without exception) lie.
the drug lords never tell the truth.
the drug lords are children of hasatan.

and you want??? to trust them or take their advice ???

Aside from your paranoid anti pharma rant----the whole reason for this thread was Pastor Bob's claim that some TV show indicated managnese nodules could form on beer cans very quickly therefore the claims of science that deep sea manganese nodules must be very young as well, therefore a young earth, literal Genesis etc. Simply put, Pastor Bob was making an unwarrented leap of faith. As I think are you.

The idea that someone 6000 years ago screwed up and therefore billions of people must suffer cause God is keeping secrets is perhaps a good concept for big (and little) Christianity but I fear, much like Pastor Bob's concepts of science truth, it has little truth in the real world.

Jukia

yeshuaslavejeff: Were the drug lords active prior to the 1918 flu pandemic? Can you explain the relationship to that and drug companies? If you cannot, please advise as well, but if you cannot does that not punch a hole in your rant?

chair

Back to Manganese Nodules:

here is a paper that describes the methods used to date the nodules.

There is a lot of evidence for the multi-million year age of these nodules.

I invite Bob to read the paper and respond- unless he would rather avoid seeing uncomfortable evidence.

Bob?

Jukia

Back to Manganese Nodules:

here is a paper that describes the methods used to date the nodules.

There is a lot of evidence for the multi-million year age of these nodules.

I invite Bob to read the paper and respond- unless he would rather avoid seeing uncomfortable evidence.

Bob?

Don't hold your breath.

sal1

Manganese Nodules

Manganese Nodules

It's astonishing anyone would waste time arguing over manganese nodule age when the truth is that the universe was created 42 days ago by Zeus.

Theolog

Do Manganese Nodules Require Millions of Years to Form? No.

At the Enyart household, we watched a documentary on mining the oceans in which a marine geologist stated that manganese nodules, millions of which liter the ocean floor, take five to fifteen million years to form to grapefruit size. I paused the video, and said to my kids something like: “That’s not true! The Bible teaches that the earth is young, so we know that they must form quickly. . -Bob
You should say "I interpret the bible so it says the earth is young." Actually the earth is much older than science teaches and the bible does not teach a young earth at all.

The whole point of Genesis, which I assume you are getting your young earth theory from, is that there is One God and he made everything. It is not teaching about a young earth but rather it is addressing the fact to a world that worshiped many gods that there was really only one God that mattered. Genesis is simply teaching the world Monotheism. A new idea at the time and it really got their attention.

Science has produced enough evidence to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the world is ancient and not 6000 years old as your method of interpretation fantasizes. Just like the earth is not the center of the universe, (another hillbilly interpretation) the earth is nor young.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You should say "I interpret the bible so it says the earth is young." Actually the earth is much older than science teaches and the bible does not teach a young earth at all.

The whole point of Genesis, which I assume you are getting your young earth theory from, is that there is One God and he made everything. It is not teaching about a young earth but rather it is addressing the fact to a world that worshiped many gods that there was really only one God that mattered. Genesis is simply teaching the world Monotheism. A new idea at the time and it really got their attention.

Science has produced enough evidence to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the world is ancient and not 6000 years old as your method of interpretation fantasizes. Just like the earth is not the center of the universe, (another hillbilly interpretation) the earth is nor young.

There's a lot more to the creation accounts than the teaching that there is but one God. How does "Six days" teach that there is only one God? How does, "The dry land appeared" teach that there is only one God?

Sounds like you're trying to not read all the details and imagine the scripture upon which YEC is founded does not exist.

Jukia

The original issue with this Pastor Bob thread was a TV show he saw which indicated that manganese concretions formed on beer cans. He used this to claim that Scripture was accurate. My information is that managanese concretions "can" form quickly given the correct environment. But the formation of manganese concretions in parts of the deep sea floor form very slowly because of their particular environment. As with many issues, Pastor Bob, being the stalwart YEC/Genesis literalist he is simply interpreted the information to fit his particular reading of the Bible without bothering to investigate further. Color me not surprised.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is great stuff! I am sure you have heard of the fossil hat that was found in a mine in Tasmania.---->http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v17/i3/fossil_hat.asp

About Creationist and how they are treated, just read the story of Dr. Robert Gentry in his Book Creation's Tiny Mystery. The fellow was basically treated like dirt when his findings refuted the Old Earth model.