Mandating Same-Sex Marriage Would Put the US at Odds with the Western World

noguru

Western World? The West is the only part of the world that recognizes gay marriage. If anything, mandating SSM would put us at odds with Africa and Asia.

Not exactly true in spirit. There a few cultures in Micronesia that recognize 3 genders, but they may or may not allow marriage between all 3 genders.

Lexington'96

Not exactly true in spirit. There a few cultures in Micronesia that recognize 3 genders, but they may or may not allow marriage between all 3 genders.

I have heard of that, but I was generalizing. South Africa allows same-sex marriage while Michigan doesn't. There are always exceptions.

noguru

I have heard of that, but I was generalizing. South Africa allows same-sex marriage while Michigan doesn't. There are always exceptions.

Yep. Personally I am not so keen on gender confusion. I would prefer a world where this was not the case, and genders (for mammals this is certainly a rule with very few exceptions) were clear cut. But reality is not always in line with what I desire.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Isn't the typical right wing knee jerk reaction something along the lines of "who cares what the rest of the world does, we're America"?

GFR7

Most of the countries that treat gay people equally in marriage rights are western countries, either part of western Europe, or in the Western hemisphere. Strange, and frankly flat-out dishonest, then, that she uses world-wide statistics to try to make the case that we're at odds with the Western World. It is, in fact, an emerging consensus in the West, and only growing.
You may be right on that. Or, she may be deceiving herself as well.

noguru

This is great news!

I never think, "you know what would make this country better? More people."

I'm all for lowering the birthrate voluntarily like this.

That is another thing that has puzzled me about people on the far right. In one breath they are complaining about the effects of the increased population pressures in the world, and in the next breath they complain about any attempts (whether humane or not) to limit population growth.

GFR7

This is great news!

I never think, "you know what would make this country better? More people."

I'm all for lowering the birthrate voluntarily like this.
I think you're missing the point. The emphasis will continue to be to crowd the world with older people, who pay low taxes, draw on pensions, and get many social benefits, while the young people's numbers - those who can be creative and productive - will continue to dwindle. It will be crowded, but not with new generations, but with millions and millions of infirm people. I would rather not live until 98 or 110, myself, but want to make room for new generations.....

shagster01

I think you're missing the point. The emphasis will continue to be to crowd the world with older people, who pay low taxes, draw on pensions, and get many social benefits, while the young people's numbers - those who can be creative and productive - will continue to dwindle. It will be crowded, but not with new generations, but with millions and millions of infirm people. I would rather not live until 98 or 110, myself, but want to make room for new generations.....

So what? We can't allow gay marriage because we created a top heavy system?

Your argument here is, "you two love birds can't get married because old people don't pay taxes."

Plus, even young heterosexual couples are choosing to have less kids. Do you want to mandate that couples have at least 3 kids too?

Granite

Hall of Fame
That is another thing that has puzzled me about people on the far right. In one breath they are complaining about the effects of the increased population pressures in the world, and in the next breath they complain about any attempts (whether humane or not) to limit population growth.

Because their priority is limiting sexual activity they don't approve of, which skews their entire thinking.

GFR7

So what? We can't allow gay marriage because we created a top heavy system?

Your argument here is, "you two love birds can't get married because old people don't pay taxes."

Plus, even young heterosexual couples are choosing to have less kids. Do you want to mandate that couples have at least 3 kids too?
I agree with the author of the Public Discourse brief, yes.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It is. My concerns are for different reasons than sex. There is far more at stake here.

For the last time, there is not. And you've decided to act against millions of Americans and their rights based purely on their physical attraction. That's not just puerile and asinine and self-righteous, that's borderline psychotic.

GFR7

For the last time, there is not. And you've decided to act against millions of Americans and their rights based purely on their physical attraction. That's not just puerile and asinine and self-righteous, that's borderline psychotic.
No, it's not. You've got it all wrong, dear. :nono: