LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

The Graphite

Knew that was coming. It's already been released that he was signed to appear later in the season. Didn't know it would be tonight, tho.

yokefellow

For those folks who speculate that both Jacob & MIB are both bad (I'm not disagreeing, BTW):

Where do you think the "good" part of the island struggle lies, if you believe there is one? Do you think they're also both good?

Speculating here...perhaps the island is kind of like the Garden of Eden: God created it to be a beautiful, wonderful place, and it is inherently good. The MIB and Jacob could represent what happens when man wants to use his own power to control something, for his gain, regardless of his motive (fate, freewill, etc).

I was really hoping Richard would spill the beans in this last episode. But that could further prove the speculation of Richard being in chains on the Black Rock.

Speculating here...perhaps the island is kind of like the Garden of Eden: God created it to be a beautiful, wonderful place, and it is inherently good. The MIB and Jacob could represent what happens when man wants to use his own power to control something, for his gain, regardless of his motive (fate, freewill, etc).

I was really hoping Richard would spill the beans in this last episode. But that could further prove the speculation of Richard being in chains on the Black Rock.
As this season has progressed, I've gone from the Jacob/Esau scenario to the two men being the two trees in the garden. Not sure they can't still be both. Even if true, it's a warped representation by the writers.

The Graphite

This may be nothing, just conjecture.

I just read that this week's episode was Jack's 100th episode, which is more than any other character. He has appeared in more episodes than anyone. By itself, this means little. However, this puts his eventual, final episode count exceedingly close to the number 108.

If he fails to appear in 3 or even 2 of the remaining episodes, that would make the series finale arguablly Jack's 108th appearance exactly. Something we can keep an eye out for. Just a thought.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Here is a semi-interesting LOST timeline.

However there is one very nice tidbit in there...

The most interesting part from the link above is the audio clip from producer Damon Lindelof. That's the reason I love the show because it's based around my favorite topic freewill vs. destiny.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
WOW!!! :noway: Have any of you ever read this? It's a theory that is not totally up to date (it seems to cut off in season 5 at some point) but it's by far the most interesting theory on LOST I have ever read.

One of the most satisfying parts of the theory is why the button needed to be pushed every 108 minutes. And that satisfies me because that's the same thing I had originally thought before I had changed my theory 6-8 times. :chuckle:

Seriously....
That theory is really a fun read (even if it proves to be false).

WOW!!! :noway: Have any of you ever read this? It's a theory that is not totally up to date (it seems to cut off in season 5 at some point) but it's by far the most interesting theory on LOST I have ever read.

One of the most satisfying parts of the theory is why the button needed to be pushed every 108 minutes. And that satisfies me because that's the same thing I had originally thought before I had changed my theory 6-8 times. :chuckle:

Seriously....
Makes the show ending a bit disappointing. :(

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:doh:

I have really bad short term memory problems. I'll read it again.
Jacob's role in the theory is very minor which is probably because this theory hasn't been updated since Jacob's rise to a major character in the story.

Again, the theory is obviously flawed because it's a bit out of date but there are some parts of it that really seem to make a ton of sense.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

Seriously....

I just finished reading it...and wow!

I love the 108 minute explanation. One of the things that I don't get is from his timeline he says that Jacob was born AFTER the Black Rock landed on the Island yet we saw Jacob sitting on the beach when the ship, assuming it was Black Rock, came to the island.

Neat stuff.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I just finished reading it...and wow!

I love the 108 minute explanation.
Me too. :up:

One of the things that I don't get is from his timeline he says that Jacob was born AFTER the Black Rock landed on the Island yet we saw Jacob sitting on the beach when the ship, assuming it was Black Rock, came to the island.
I would guess that Jacob and the MIB were the very first two who time traveled which created the time loop in the first place.

Them traveling back in time made it so they wouldn't age unless the loop was eventually broken.

Therefore, Jacob and the MIB could see the ship arriving even though they hadn't been born yet.

The Graphite

It's a really interesting and entertaining theory!

And I can't even begin to list how many things in it are totally wrong. LOL :doh: But I did enjoy reading it! It is massively contrived and assumes plenty of things not in evidence, though. I would bet good money it is way off base. :cool:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's a really interesting and entertaining theory!

And I can't even begin to list how many things in it are totally wrong. LOL :doh: But I did enjoy reading it! It is massively contrived and assumes plenty of things not in evidence, though. I would bet good money it is way off base. :cool:
Noooo.... really???? Stop the presses!! :noway: :chuckle:

Dude... it's just a theory.... like all the others.... wrong? Very likely. But there are parts of it that are also likely accurate. And there are very few theories that make an attempt to cover the entire plot of the show from beginning to end which is what makes that theory so fun to read.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Noooo.... really???? Stop the presses!! :noway: :chuckle:

Dude... it's just a theory.... like all the others.... wrong? Very likely. But there are parts of it that are also likely accurate. And there are very few theories that make an attempt to cover the entire plot of the show from beginning to end which is what makes that theory so fun to read.

One thing that I was surprised that he didn't have a theory on is the anti to Black Rock. If the show has been hinting since the pilot (Locke playing backgammon) with the contrasting of Black/White what is the "White" that is the counterpart of Black Rock...assuming of course there is one. In other words...where or what is "White Rock"?