Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by philosophizer

It's all good. :)

There's nothing wrong with worship songs that focus on the looking at God through the perspective we have the best chance of understanding... our own. We are human beings, created by God, fallen by nature, and saved by Jesus. That's our perspective. There's nothing wrong with exploring that perspective in a worship song.

On the other hand, a worship song should be about worship. We shouldn't be singing "I bow down" or "I praise you, Lord" and then draw pride in ourselves for the "I" part of the song. But I don't really think that's as big of a problem as the author of this article makes it out to be.

There IS a good, important reason for singing things like that other than to puff up pride. That reason is to state vocally your personal submission of self to the Lord Jesus Christ. A lot of people find their convictions strengthened when they say them verbally rather than just think them. And a verbal display of one person's commitment toward Christ may help strengthen that in another person.

Personally, I like songs that are angled more towards those who might be seeking and needing Christ than those who are already saved. Those kinds of songs have always touched my mind and heart. But praise and worship songs have important roles to play too, whether they be rejoicing in the wonderous creation and power of God, or in stating the personal commitment we have made to our Lord and Savior.

context
:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.