Liberal political bias in the academy

kmoney

Hall of Fame
A short article by Michael Shermer that's in the current issue of Scientific American.
http://www.michaelshermer.com/2016/03/political-bias-in-the-academy/

In the past couple of years imbroglios erupted on college campuses across the U.S. over trigger warnings (for example, alerting students to scenes of abuse and violence in The Great Gatsby before assigning it), microaggressions (saying “I believe the most qualified person should get the job”), cultural appropriation (a white woman wearing her hair in cornrows), speaker disinvitations (Brandeis University canceling plans to award Ayaan Hirsi Ali an honorary degree because of her criticism of Islam’s treatment of women), safe spaces (such as rooms where students can go after a talk that upset them), and social justice advocates competing to signal their moral outrage over such issues as Halloween costumes (for example, at Yale University). Why such unrest in the most liberal institutions in the country?

Although there are many proximate causes, there is but one ultimate cause—lack of political diversity to provide checks on protests going too far. A 2014 study conducted by the University of California, Los Angeles, Higher Education Research Institute found that 59.8 percent of all undergraduate faculty nationwide identify as far left or liberal, compared with only 12.8 percent as far right or conservative. The asymmetry is much worse in the social sciences. A 2015 study by psychologist José Duarte, then at Arizona State University, and his colleagues in Behavioral and Brain Sciences, entitled “Political Diversity Will Improve Social Psychological Science,” found that 58 to 66 percent of social scientists are liberal and only 5 to 8 percent conservative and that there are eight Democrats for every Republican. And the problem is most relavent to the study of areas “related to the political concerns of the Left— areas such as race, gender, stereotyping, environmentalism, power, and inequality.” The very things these students are protesting.

How does this political asymmetry corrupt social science? It begins with what subjects are studied and the descriptive language employed. Consider a 2003 paper by social psychologist John Jost, now at New York University, and his colleagues, entitled “Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition.” Conservatives are described as having “uncertainty avoidance,” “needs for order, structure, and closure,” and “dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity,” as if these constitute a mental disease that leads to “resistance to change” and “endorsement of inequality.” Yet one could just as easily characterize liberals as suffering from a host of equally malfunctioning cognitive states: a lack of moral compass that leads to an inability to make clear ethical choices, a pathological fear of clarity that leads to indecisiveness, a naive belief that all people are equally talented, and a blind adherence in the teeth of contradictory evidence from behavior genetics that culture and environment exclusively determine one’s lot in life.

Duarte et al. find similar distortive language across the social sciences, where, for instance, certain words are used to suggest pernicious motives when confronting contradictory evidence— “deny,” “legitimize,” “rationalize,” “justify,” “defend,” “trivialize”— with conservatives as examples, as if liberals are always objective and rational. In one test item, for example, the “endorsement of the efficacy of hard work” was interpreted as an example of “rationalization of inequality.” Imagine a study in which conservative values were assumed to be scientific facts and disagreement with them was treated as irrational, the authors conjecture counterfactually. “In this field, scholars might regularly publish studies on … ‘the denial of the benefits of a strong military’ or ‘the denial of the benefits of church attendance.’ ” The authors present evidence that “embedding any type of ideological values into measures is dangerous to science” and is “much more likely to happen—and to go unchallenged by dissenters—in a politically homogeneous field.”

Political bias also twists how data are interpreted. For instance, Duarte’s study discusses a paper in which subjects scoring high in “right-wing authoritarianism” were found to be “more likely to go along with the unethical decisions of leaders.” Example: “not formally taking a female colleague’s side in her sexual harassment complaint against her subordinate (given little information about the case).” Maybe what this finding really means is that conservatives believe in examining evidence first, instead of prejudging by gender. Call it “left-wing authoritarianism.”

The authors’ solution to the political bias problem is right out of the liberal playbook: diversity. Not just ethnic, race and gender but viewpoint diversity. All of us are biased, and few of us can see it in ourselves, so we depend on others to challenge us. As John Stuart Mill noted in that greatest defense of free speech, On Liberty, “He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that.”

Colleges being liberal is talked about all the time but most of what I've seen is anecdotal, if that. I can't recall seeing actual studies about it like Shermer mentions here.

Insulating yourself to opposing viewpoints is bad all around and it may be happening with bad effects within higher education. Shermer also highlights the infantilization of college students that was so evident in some of the controversies last year.

So liberals, you like affirmative action, how about affirmative action for conservatives. :chuckle:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
"Why such unrest in the most liberal institutions in the country?"

because liberalism is a mental disorder :duh:

Jose Fly

The problem is, Shermer doesn't ask why there are so few conservatives in these areas. From what I've seen, it's not like there are all sorts of highly qualified conservatives applying for these positions and being turned down, rather it's more that conservatives aren't going into these fields in the first place.

This also lines up with some other things we see among conservatives, such as their negative overall views of higher education. I can't tell you how many times I've seen and heard conservatives promote the "don't send your kids to college" idea. Right-wing talk radio rails against universities and higher education all the time as well.

Also, let's keep in mind that the "social sciences" are a field of science, and science requires a certain level of objectivity and prioritizes accuracy. However, psychological profiles of liberals and conservatives have shown stark differences in what the two groups value. In general, liberals place higher value on objectivity and accuracy, whereas conservatives place higher value on loyalty and sanctity. So another factor could be that many conservatives simply don't have the proper mindset to work in the sciences.

Finally, let's face it....if you listen to and/or read right-wing media, they aren't exactly keen on science are they? Shoot, look at this board.

Put all those things together and IMO you have a pretty good picture of what's behind the numbers Shermer cites.

brewmama

The problem is, Shermer doesn't ask why there are so few conservatives in these areas. From what I've seen, it's not like there are all sorts of highly qualified conservatives applying for these positions and being turned down, rather it's more that conservatives aren't going into these fields in the first place.

This also lines up with some other things we see among conservatives, such as their negative overall views of higher education. I can't tell you how many times I've seen and heard conservatives promote the "don't send your kids to college" idea. Right-wing talk radio rails against universities and higher education all the time as well.

Also, let's keep in mind that the "social sciences" are a field of science, and science requires a certain level of objectivity and prioritizes accuracy. However, psychological profiles of liberals and conservatives have shown stark differences in what the two groups value. In general, liberals place higher value on objectivity and accuracy, whereas conservatives place higher value on loyalty and sanctity. So another factor could be that many conservatives simply don't have the proper mindset to work in the sciences.

Finally, let's face it....if you listen to and/or read right-wing media, they aren't exactly keen on science are they? Shoot, look at this board.

Put all those things together and IMO you have a pretty good picture of what's behind the numbers Shermer cites.

As usual, your analysis comes up short. First, you put the cart before the horse by saying that enough conservatives aren't applying for positions in certain fields dominated by liberal pap, but OF COURSE they aren't going into those fields, BECAUSE they are dominated by liberal pap. They would have to suffer through the indoctrination period.
Second, "social sciences" are anything BUT real science, they are just wannabes, so that not thought out point also falls flat. Your attempt to conflate them with real science and imply that conservatives "aren't keen on science" or "don't have the proper mindset" is just too stupid and biased for words.

And I guess you totally missed the point of why right wing pundits might "rail against universities" , since that is the point of the OP. Every argument I've heard against higher education from them has been spot on, from being cesspools of failed liberal ideas to excessive costs to being an extremely bad investment.

And you appear clueless about what conservatives actually face in academia, such as Mike Adams having to take UNC to court (and winning) over the treatment lib feminists gave him. You also seem ignorant about the history of why we have universities in the first place, which is all about Christian "conservatives" trying to conserve and pass on the higher ideals of living life well in the Western, Christian tradition. Sadly, they have fallen very far from those ideals to the slime pit they are today.

Jose Fly

First, you put the cart before the horse by saying that enough conservatives aren't applying for positions in certain fields dominated by liberal pap, but OF COURSE they aren't going into those fields, BECAUSE they are dominated by liberal pap. They would have to suffer through the indoctrination period.

So these hypothetical conservatives who would go into the social sciences are what....scared? And exactly what sort of "indoctrination" are you referring to?

Second, "social sciences" are anything BUT real science, they are just wannabes, so that not thought out point also falls flat. Your attempt to conflate them with real science and imply that conservatives "aren't keen on science" or "don't have the proper mindset" is just too stupid and biased for words.

See, it's one thing for someone to say "conservatives tend to have a dim view of science, especially the social sciences". However, it's much, much more powerful when a conservative comes in and actually demonstrates the point in person. I guess what I'm saying is...thanks for illustrating my point for me! :up:

And I guess you totally missed the point of why right wing pundits might "rail against universities" , since that is the point of the OP. Every argument I've heard against higher education from them has been spot on, from being cesspools of failed liberal ideas to excessive costs to being an extremely bad investment.

Yet again, thanks for illustrating my point for me.

And you appear clueless about what conservatives actually face in academia, such as Mike Adams having to take UNC to court (and winning) over the treatment lib feminists gave him.

Do you think conservatives are the only people to ever have a case like that?

You also seem ignorant about the history of why we have universities in the first place, which is all about Christian "conservatives" trying to conserve and pass on the higher ideals of living life well in the Western, Christian tradition. Sadly, they have fallen very far from those ideals to the slime pit they are today.

And now conservatives...especially conservative Christians...are removing themselves from academia and the sciences. IOW, you folks are ceding higher education and science to liberals.

Fine by me.

brewmama

So these hypothetical conservatives who would go into the social sciences are what....scared? And exactly what sort of "indoctrination" are you referring to?

See, it's one thing for someone to say "conservatives tend to have a dim view of science, especially the social sciences". However, it's much, much more powerful when a conservative comes in and actually demonstrates the point in person. I guess what I'm saying is...thanks for illustrating my point for me! :up:

Yet again, thanks for illustrating my point for me.

Do you think conservatives are the only people to ever have a case like that?

And now conservatives...especially conservative Christians...are removing themselves from academia and the sciences. IOW, you folks are ceding higher education and science to liberals.

Fine by me.

Your unwillingness or inability to tell the difference between science and social science makes you unable to converse on this topic. Do you actually think you are making points?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

You're right that Shermer doesn't go into the causes of the numbers and you provide some plausible reasons for it. However, that doesn't really defeat or make meaningless his article or the study that his article was about. Their focus was about whether or not the lack of diversity should concern us. I think they give some good arguments for it. If a problem is established then you can look at the causes and what potential solutions there are.

Also, I'd just like to reiterate what brewmama already said about your comment here:

Conservatives aren't railing against higher education because they hate education. Their criticism is about the strong bias against them and their views that they see in higher education. Having said that, there can still be some element of a cycle or a self-fulling prophecy because if conservatives exclude themselves from the institutions they criticize then the problem they perceive is only going to get worse.

Jose Fly

You're right that Shermer doesn't go into the causes of the numbers and you provide some plausible reasons for it. However, that doesn't really defeat or make meaningless his article or the study that his article was about. Their focus was about whether or not the lack of diversity should concern us. I think they give some good arguments for it. If a problem is established then you can look at the causes and what potential solutions there are.

So Shermer identifies a problem but doesn't look for a cause or propose solutions.

Conservatives aren't railing against higher education because they hate education. Their criticism is about the strong bias against them and their views that they see in higher education.

Well yeah, look at these "views" conservatives tend to hold. Global warming is a myth, evolution is a hoax, gays need to be converted back to heterosexuals, the social sciences aren't real science, science in general isn't to be trusted, and so on.

In my years of watching, I've seen the right move further and further away from reality on a number of fronts. Academia, especially the sciences, is about objectively taking reality as it is. Given that, of course conservatives feel like higher education isn't for them, or is even actively against them. But it's not because academia has a problem, it's because modern conservatism has a problem with reality.

Having said that, there can still be some element of a cycle or a self-fulling prophecy because if conservatives exclude themselves from the institutions they criticize then the problem they perceive is only going to get worse.

That's exactly what I've been seeing.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So Shermer identifies a problem but doesn't look for a cause or propose solutions.
And?
Shermer does a short piece in every issue of SA. Perhaps in a longer format he'd talk more about solutions. In this he only mentioned the one from the study he was talking about: diversity.

Well yeah, look at these "views" conservatives tend to hold. Global warming is a myth, evolution is a hoax, gays need to be converted back to heterosexuals, the social sciences aren't real science, science in general isn't to be trusted, and so on.

In my years of watching, I've seen the right move further and further away from reality on a number of fronts. Academia, especially the sciences, is about objectively taking reality as it is. Given that, of course conservatives feel like higher education isn't for them, or is even actively against them. But it's not because academia has a problem, it's because modern conservatism has a problem with reality.
I think what you're doing here is similar, if not the same, to what Shermer was talking about.

Jose Fly

If you look at the article, the data Shermer cites was collected and analyzed by others before him. That means the problem had already been identified. So with the absence of a cause or solution from Shermer, I'm not sure what his article offers.

I guess one could say he's just getting the message to a wider audience.

Shermer does a short piece in every issue of SA. Perhaps in a longer format he'd talk more about solutions. In this he only mentioned the one from the study he was talking about: diversity.

Fair enough, but I get the feeling that wondering why there are so few conservatives in the social sciences is like asking why there aren't very many Amish electricians. In both cases, it's just not something their culture believes in.

I think what you're doing here is similar, if not the same, to what Shermer was talking about.

How so?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
If you look at the article, the data Shermer cites was collected and analyzed by others before him. That means the problem had already been identified. So with the absence of a cause or solution from Shermer, I'm not sure what his article offers.

I guess one could say he's just getting the message to a wider audience.
That's mostly what it is. He's not doing original research. At least not in this monthly article he does.
In fact, that's basically all SA is. Making research and scientific news available to a wider audience.

Fair enough, but I get the feeling that wondering why there are so few conservatives in the social sciences is like asking why there aren't very many Amish electricians. In both cases, it's just not something their culture believes in.
I get that view but I don't think it's completely accurate. And again, regardless of the cause, if the case can be made that sufficient damage is being done then we should probably still try to do something about it. Ultimately no one can force conservatives to try for these jobs. And I don't know how many actually do.

Because you talk about conservatives denying reality. That's part of what Shermer talked about.
Conservatives deny global warming. They deny evolution. They deny the morality/acceptability of homosexuality. You presuppose that your view is right and conservatives are denying reality.

Jose Fly

I get that view but I don't think it's completely accurate.

Based on what?

And again, regardless of the cause, if the case can be made that sufficient damage is being done then we should probably still try to do something about it.

That assumes "we" are the cause of the problem. That hasn't been established at all.

Ultimately no one can force conservatives to try for these jobs. And I don't know how many actually do.

Well there's Step 1...figure out the nature of the problem, IOW is it conservative applicants being rejected because of their viewpoint, or are conservatives just not interested in social science?

Because you talk about conservatives denying reality. That's part of what Shermer talked about.
Conservatives deny global warming. They deny evolution. They deny the morality/acceptability of homosexuality. You presuppose that your view is right and conservatives are denying reality.

Those things are true, and denying them is most definitely part of modern conservatism.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Based on what?
After reading your post again I see that you restricted it to conservatives not believing in social science. In that narrower area I will agree that many conservatives, particularly theists, will stay away because there can be some pretty dramatic differences in how one views people and they may not see the great need for it.

That assumes "we" are the cause of the problem. That hasn't been established at all.
Shermer didn't place the blame on liberals. Neither am I. We don't know what the root cause is but you don't have to be causing the problem in order to attempt to solve it.

Well there's Step 1...figure out the nature of the problem, IOW is it conservative applicants being rejected because of their viewpoint, or are conservatives just not interested in social science?
Right. Now you're talking.

Those things are true, and denying them is most definitely part of modern conservatism.
You believe those things are true.

I'm not trying to get into a debate over particular issues. The primary thing is that when you are isolated from opposing and diverse viewpoints then radicalism is a risk.

Jose Fly

After reading your post again I see that you restricted it to conservatives not believing in social science. In that narrower area I will agree that many conservatives, particularly theists, will stay away because there can be some pretty dramatic differences in how one views people and they may not see the great need for it.

Agreed.

Shermer didn't place the blame on liberals. Neither am I. We don't know what the root cause is but you don't have to be causing the problem in order to attempt to solve it.

True.

You believe those things are true.

They are in any sense of the word.

I'm not trying to get into a debate over particular issues. The primary thing is that when you are isolated from opposing and diverse viewpoints then radicalism is a risk.

Agreed.

PureX

A short article by Michael Shermer that's in the current issue of Scientific American.
http://www.michaelshermer.com/2016/03/political-bias-in-the-academy/

Colleges being liberal is talked about all the time but most of what I've seen is anecdotal, if that. I can't recall seeing actual studies about it like Shermer mentions here.

Insulating yourself to opposing viewpoints is bad all around and it may be happening with bad effects within higher education. Shermer also highlights the infantilization of college students that was so evident in some of the controversies last year.

So liberals, you like affirmative action, how about affirmative action for conservatives. :chuckle:
I think the problem is that american conservatism isn't conservatism, anymore. It's radical extremism calling itself conservatism when it's not. Thus forcing traditional moderately conservative intellectuals to relabel themselves, or be relabeled and loathed by these radical conservatives as 'liberal intellectuals'.

It's not the people who have changed. It's that the labels are being warped by radical extremism.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
right

because.... reasons

Lol

This is part of the insanity of liberal ideology- they've only been around for a short time. In fact, only in the past thirty years has it shaped public opinion.
It is, in itself, a radicalization.

Because they are in a state of mania, they fail to see that conservatism in America is as it always has been. It's rather liberals who have grown absurd.

Arthur Brain

Lol

This is part of the insanity of liberal ideology- they've only been around for a short time. In fact, only in the past thirty years has it shaped public opinion.
It is, in itself, a radicalization.

Because they are in a state of mania, they fail to see that conservatism in America is as it always has been. It's rather liberals who have grown absurd.

How do you grow absurd then?

Compost? Redundant memes?

:idunno: