ECT Let's Discuss Spiritual Death

Jerry Shugart

Is there such a thing as spiritual death?

What death did Adam and Eve experience on the day when they ate of the forbidden tree?:

"And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die"
(Gen.2:16-17).​

What kind of death is being spoken of in the following passage?:

"What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death...For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
(Ro.6:21,23).​

glorydaz

What death did Adam and Eve experience on the day when they ate of the forbidden tree?:

"And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die"

"What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death...For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"

I think it's a death sentence....condemned to die and awaiting the judgment for it to be carried out.

dodge

I think it's a death sentence....condemned to die and awaiting the judgment for it to be carried out.

Spiritual death= separation from God.

Mat 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

glorydaz

Spiritual death= separation from God.

Mat 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Yeah, I think the best analogy is the sinner is locked in a prison cell awaiting judgment for the sentence to be carried out. When Jesus died on the Cross, the prison door was unlocked and opened.....the grace of God. Those who access that grace through faith (believing) come out and receive a full pardon and live.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;​

glorydaz

There are some who say a man is so dead spiritually that he cannot hear the Gospel being preached.

I say that isn't true, so being spiritually dead is not what many might think when they hear the term "dead".

Interplanner

Feeling evasive, Jerry? You need to talk about whether Israel would have known Messiah would suffer from Ps 22, Is 53 and Dan 9? Once knowing that, did they suppress/deny it? Huge questions.