Law v. Order

quip

BANNED
Banned
If you think that Democrats would do anything different if the roles were reversed then I'd say you are naive.

Perhaps.

Though, can you conflate the fight for equality to that of the fight to maintain the current power structure?

"self-interest" to "social justice"?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Oh, didn't you get a bit emotional about the poor reporter?

No man worth his salts, would whine about this story and promote abortion in the same breadth.

You can only connect the two by emotional retort.
This argument is about the right's morally relative abuse of power in maintaining this power. The reporter incident is just an incidental illustration of it.

Eagles Wings

You can only connect the two by emotional retort.
This argument is about the right's morally relative abuse of power in maintaining this power. The reporter incident is just an incidental illustration of it.
Nothing right or left about it.

Abuse of power...you are absolutely right.

rexlunae

I feel bad for the voters. I imagine there were some Republicans that didn't really want to vote for a guy who assaults a reporter but when the alternative is a Democrat winning, with all the policy issue differences, it's not hard to understand still voting for him.

Given what those policies are, I don't feel a bit badly for them. 'We have to vote for the guy who attacks reporters so that the rich can have tax cuts' isn't a real sympathetic position for me. Aside from which, he's one of their own. He got elected because he reflects the values of his voters, who turn out to be pretty receptive to fascism and pretty ok with violence, as long as it's directed at the right people. If you liked this guy before the attack, I'd say you should have been paying attention, and if you don't like his actions now, I'd say pay attention to how his colleges receive him in Congress. I suspect that as long as he only attacks reporters, he'll be embraced with open arms, one more vote to screw the poor and protect the traitors to Russia.

I don't know what power the Republican party leaders have for something like this but I feel like this is a situation where the party should step in and produce another candidate. Delay the election. Something.

The election probably couldn't have been cancelled the day before, and really I don't think we should go about cancelling elections because one of the candidates can't control themselves. What could be done is that Republicans, particularly Paul Ryan, could decline to seat him. That is the usual Constitutional remedy enacted in situations like this, unless the party in power doesn't care, in which case, you get what's happening instead. The Republican Party is an active participant in violence against the free press. It goes beyond complicity.

What would you do if the Democrat in an election was charged with a crime the day before the election? The voters are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Depends on the stakes. I'm pretty pragmatic when it comes to political calculus, but it really says something about how little they care about the free press.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Given what those policies are, I don't feel a bit badly for them. 'We have to vote for the guy who attacks reporters so that the rich can have tax cuts' isn't a real sympathetic position for me.
Of course not, but that's irrelevant.

Aside from which, he's one of their own. He got elected because he reflects the values of his voters, who turn out to be pretty receptive to fascism and pretty ok with violence, as long as it's directed at the right people.
Some? Sure, All? I doubt it.

The election probably couldn't have been cancelled the day before, and really I don't think we should go about cancelling elections because one of the candidates can't control themselves. What could be done is that Republicans, particularly Paul Ryan, could decline to seat him. That is the usual Constitutional remedy enacted in situations like this, unless the party in power doesn't care, in which case, you get what's happening instead. The Republican Party is an active participant in violence against the free press. It goes beyond complicity.
I didn't know that Paul Ryan could do that. If he did that then would it lead to a new election? Or would it default to Quist? I did hear that Ryan was asked if Gianforte should be eligible and he said it's up to the voters to decide. I think that's a cop-out. I'd like to see more from him. Now knowing that he could refuse to give him his seat then I'd like to see that happen.

I agree that delaying elections is not a great answer and lines would have to be drawn between what justifies it and what doesn't. Maybe the current setup is the best there is. I still feel bad for the voters placed in a situation like this.

Depends on the stakes. I'm pretty pragmatic when it comes to political calculus, but it really says something about how little they care about the free press.
Maybe, maybe not. Polling could clarify the views and reasoning of the voters.