Knight's pick 11-07-2012

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would say this is an excellent assessment.

Much of the problem is that many Americans today are into things. They want a nominee that can give them 'stuff'. This is especially true of urban areas. People want stuff without working for it. The work ethic is in decline. It's now steal from those who have worked hard and earned money to feed the lazy bums. It's how Rome collapsed.
:first:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
And the voters, many of them, feel that the economic system is stacked against them and they want stuff. You are going to see a tremendous Hispanic vote for President Obama. Overwhelming black vote for President Obama. And women will probably break President Obama's way. People feel that they are entitled to things and which candidate, between the two, is going to give them things?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media...establishment-is-now-the-minority-148705.html

All that free stuff and the only work involved was checking a box in a voting booth...

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It was posted in private, and Knight liked it. I have no objection to it being made into a POTD.

WizardofOz

Good post, Bill O'Reilly

“And the voters, many of them, feel that the economic system is stacked against them and they want stuff. People feel that they are entitled to things and which candidate, between the two, is going to give them things?” O’Reilly said 50 percent of the voting public are people who “want stuff. They want things. And who is going to give them things? President Obama.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good post, Bill O'Reilly

“And the voters, many of them, feel that the economic system is stacked against them and they want stuff. People feel that they are entitled to things and which candidate, between the two, is going to give them things?” O’Reilly said 50 percent of the voting public are people who “want stuff. They want things. And who is going to give them things? President Obama.

So someone shares my views. I think I like this Bill O'Reilly. However--I think it is plain lazieness. People have lost their work ethic. I have even heard them rail against 'workaholicism'.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:mock: :granite:

My rant is about lazy folks wanting a President--(Romney included) who will rob from hard working Americans. They want Robin Hood for President--only it isn't Robin Hood--it more like a bandit taking someone's hard earned money and throwing it to a wino.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite---->:allsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BTW the concept isn't new. I heard it in a sermon in 2008.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Lame. Is this the liberal censorship Jeff is always going on about?:think:

Or what about people being told not to plagiarize?

Just a thought.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by Inzl Kett
Much of the problem is that many Americans today are into things.
Same thing was said in the roaring 20s. A culture that nearly worships the free enterprise model and a government that is frequently only seen as being truly useful in facilitating it kind of breeds that attitude, celebrates it. Heck, the Reagan "Miracle" wasn't loaves and fishes or a surge in national character. It was about an economic boom.

So today has nothing to do with it. The American dream has been predicated on things and money and the leisure that goes hand in hand for much of our national existence. I mean, we threw tea into a harbor to protest over paying for second rate service. :eek:

They want a nominee that can give them 'stuff'. This is especially true of urban areas.
I'd expect the hardest hit areas to produce the most need. So sure.

People want stuff without working for it.
Some. Some always have. Most people work.

The work ethic is in decline.
That's what my great grandparents said about the next generation. But we field one of the most if not the most productive workforces in the world.

It's now steal from those who have worked hard and earned money to feed the lazy bums.
If you're talking about taxes then we all steal from one another to get stuff we can't afford to buy ourselves, like roads. And we rush out in our cars to use that free stuff to buy ourselves things.

It's how Rome collapsed.
Nah. Rome collapsed because of bad plumbing and inbreeding. It had a class system that kept a minority of very rich and powerful people around long after the generation that warranted the power by virtue of activity and contribution to the compact had died out. They kept the lower classes enthralled with games and public hand outs for a while, but eventually they just weren't even a shadow of being fit to rule and the wolves descended.

I agree we've created that class, but its too early to sing a lamentation.

Else, congrats on the nod. :e4e:

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you TH--you gave reasonable response instead of just slapping up mud and hoping it sticks. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thank you TH--you gave reasonable response instead of just slapping up mud and hoping it sticks. :e4e:
My pleasure, IK. :cheers: Friends should be able to disagree without resorting to fisticuffs or name calling. And I mostly meant my offering as a hopeful one. Sometimes in our disappointment things can seem harder and worse than they really are. I suspect that's the case here.