Knight's pick 02-28-2012

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
VegasCowboy on the school shooting in Ohio....
And what I mean is (in case I wasn't clear, which I'm often not) that people blame the wrong thing.

It is the school's fault for not noticing the warning signs.

It is the parents' fault for not being supportive enough while the child grew up.

It is the fault of the peers for bullying and teasing.

It is the government's fault for not passing strict enough gun laws.

It is society's fault for not having enough programs for troubled youth.

It is EVERYONE'S fault except the person who actually pulls the trigger.
:first:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:e4e:

Thank you, sir. This sort of thing drives me to distraction. People bend over backwards to take the blame away from those actually guilty of committing a crime.

I just don't get it. :idunno:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Great answer. The media and the whole system gets it backwards. The blame everyone but the shooter himself.

zippy2006

Agreed, but I think the reason people aren't speaking about the shooter is mainly because they are speaking to the question that Knight posed: "What can we learn from this?" If all we learn is that the shooter was at fault then we haven't learned anything about how to prevent these things in the future. VC's answer is more appropriate in a scenario where the offender ought to be punished--where he is alive.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Really. So the media's already blaming everyone but this sophomore. That was quick work even by the standards of the press.

Cracked

"Above all, the prophets remind us of the moral state of a people: Few are guilty, but all are responsible."
--Abraham Heschel

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Really. So the media's already blaming everyone but this sophomore. That was quick work even by the standards of the press.

This is true of the vast majority of such cases. Other things have an influence, but they do not excuse the offense...so many try to make it seem so.