Justification and salvation by Jesus Christ, not the Law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Here is a question. Was anyone ever saved by the Law? I am talking about salvation meaning rescued from sin in that all sins are forgiven and you are granted the free gift of eternal life in Jesus Christ who died for you, the just for the unjust.

Galatians 2:16 NASB - 16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

Galatians 3:2, 5, 11-12, 23-24 NASB - 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? ... 5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? ... 11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH." 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM." ... 23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

My answer is that no one was ever saved by the Law.

Romans 3:31 NASB - 31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Romans 8:1-4 NASB - 1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. 3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Ben Masada

Here is a question. Was anyone ever saved by the Law? I am talking about salvation meaning rescued from sin in that all sins are forgiven and you are granted the free gift of eternal life in Jesus Christ who died for you, the just for the unjust.

Not BY the Law but THROUGH the Law. Without the Law no one can be saved because we won't know what is against the Law or according to the Law. You have the whole Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible to gorge on salvation through the Law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
My salvation is not in the Law.

My salvation is not in the Law.

Not BY the Law but THROUGH the Law. Without the Law no one can be saved because we won't know what is against the Law or according to the Law. You have the whole Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible to gorge on salvation through the Law.

I know that Jesus kept the Law perfectly and that I have not done so myself. Jesus is my only salvation. I am saved by God in Jesus Christ.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If the Israelites did not keep the law (faith plus works) they would not be justified. If they kept the law and believed keeping the law saved them, they would not be justified.

chair

Yet another thread about "The Law". Guess what?
The Law was only meant for the Israelites (Jews). It was never meant for Gentiles.
The Law is not about being "justified", "saved" or whatever. It is just what we do because we are supposed to. It is our tribal laws, if you like.
"The Law" was historically an issue in Christianity, since many of the early Christians were Jews. Paul had to deal with this issue. But that was almost 2,000 years ago. It's over. Let it go.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The Law was only meant for the Israelites (Jews). It was never meant for Gentiles.
The Law is not about being "justified", "saved" or whatever. It is just what we do because we are supposed to. It is our tribal laws, if you like.
"The Law" was historically an issue in Christianity, since many of the early Christians were Jews. Paul had to deal with this issue. But that was almost 2,000 years ago. It's over. Let it go.

I disagree . . God placed Adam under commands (Laws) in the garden, before the fall. Which means all mankind are moral agents, and therefore responsible to live according to God's Lawful and holy standards.

Christians are freed from the old bondage of the Law caused by sin, to live anew according to the Holy Spirit who raises them from death to life.

Being the temple of the Holy Spirit, means these now faithful moral agents, are able to live according to God's commands and thereby serve His righteousness.

The Law is the Word, and is eternal. Matthew 24:35

The Law is good, not bad. What is bad is being declared guilty under the Law, but Jesus Christ took care of that tragedy for His children on the cross.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I love God's Law. I know I am not saved by it.

chair

I disagree . . God placed Adam under commands (Laws) in the garden, before the fall. Which means all mankind are moral agents, and therefore responsible to live according to God's Lawful and holy standards.

Christians are freed from the old bondage of the Law caused by sin, to live anew according to the Holy Spirit who raises them from death to life.
Therefore- what exactly? Christians are not moral agents? They are not required to live properly?
Being the temple of the Holy Spirit, means these now faithful moral agents, are able to live according to God's commands and thereby serve His righteousness.
What is a "faitful moral agent"? It sounds like double-talk.
The Law is the Word, and is eternal. Matthew 24:35

The Law is good, not bad. What is bad is being declared guilty under the Law, but Jesus Christ took care of that tragedy for His children on the cross.
This actually makes sense to you. wow.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Jacob loves the law !! Now we know his problem !!

Now we know your problem . . you do not reflect or possess the heart of David.

All believers should echo the words of David as written in Psalm 119 if their hearts are right before God.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Therefore- what exactly? Christians are not moral agents? They are not required to live properly?

All men were created in the image of God and are responsible to live according to God's moral standards. Which are revealed in the commands and covenants of God.

All men being fallen in the first Adam, fail to live as they should according to God's commands and covenant.

Only those justified by faith in Jesus Christ, are renewed and enabled to do so.

Epoisses

Galatians 2:16 NASB - 16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

Galatians 3:2, 5, 11-12, 23-24 NASB - 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? ... 5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? ... 11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH." 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM." ... 23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

My answer is that no one was ever saved by the Law.

Romans 3:31 NASB - 31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Romans 8:1-4 NASB - 1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. 3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

We establish the law of the Spirit!! Paul makes a clear distinction between following the letter of the law and living in the Spirit. It's actually absurd for anyone to say they keep the law because the whole thing revolved around the temple and sacrifice and that hasn't existed in 2000 years. The Jews in Israel don't keep the law the way it was given so you definitely don't.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
We establish the law of the Spirit!! Paul makes a clear distinction between following the letter of the law and living in the Spirit. It's actually absurd for anyone to say they keep the law because the whole thing revolved around the temple and sacrifice and that hasn't existed in 2000 years. The Jews in Israel don't keep the law the way it was given so you definitely don't.
Are you attempting to combine Romans 3:31 NASB and Romans 8:2 NASB?

There is no problem with keeping the Law. It is good. No one is saved by keeping the Law.

You are saved by faith. The works of the Law do not justify anyone. Only Jesus observed the Law perfectly.

A Christian is under grace, not under the Law.

Epoisses

Are you attempting to combine Romans 3:31 NASB and Romans 8:2 NASB?

There is no problem with keeping the Law. It is good. No one is saved by keeping the Law.

You are saved by faith. The works of the Law do not justify anyone. Only Jesus observed the Law perfectly.

A Christian is under grace, not under the Law.

The 'Law' as was understood by Christ and the apostles was the Torah or the first five books of Moses. Keeping the 'Law' meant following Torah with sacrifice and offering at the temple. You don't keep the law and neither do the Jews.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The 'Law' as was understood by Christ and the apostles was the Torah or the first five books of Moses. Keeping the 'Law' meant following Torah with sacrifice and offering at the temple. You don't keep the law and neither do the Jews.

Justification and salvation are in Jesus Christ alone, not in the Law. By the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified in His sight.

See "works of the Law".

Romans 3:20 NASB - because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

Romans 3:28 NASB - For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

Galatians 2:16 NASB - nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

Galatians 3:2 NASB - This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3:5 NASB - So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3:10 NASB - For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO PERFORM THEM."

Still, it is not good to be a transgressor of the law.

Romans 2:25 NASB - For indeed circumcision is of value if you practice the Law; but if you are a transgressor of the Law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision.

Romans 2:27 NASB - And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law?

Galatians 2:18 NASB - "For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a transgressor.

James 2:11 NASB - For He who said, "DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY," also said, "DO NOT COMMIT MURDER." Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

Lawlessness is bad. Sin is lawlessness.

Matthew 7:23 NASB - "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Matthew 13:41 NASB - "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,

Matthew 23:28 NASB - "So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

Matthew 24:12 NASB - "Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold.

Romans 6:19 NASB - I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.

2 Corinthians 6:14 NASB - Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?

2 Thessalonians 2:3 NASB - Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

2 Thessalonians 2:7 NASB - For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.

Hebrews 1:9 NASB - "YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED LAWLESSNESS; THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD, HAS ANOINTED YOU WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE YOUR COMPANIONS."

1 John 3:4 NASB - Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.

If you are born again the Spirit of God dwells in you, the requirement of the Law is fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Epoisses

You don't keep the 'Law' and you never have and never will.

You're a fake or pretender or wannabe. Do I have to spell it out?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Gentiles who blessed Israel were to be circumcised and aligned with Israel.

Reactions: Lon