Justice Kennedy needs a reminder about his own fear of harm from gay marriage

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For the second time, adoptees aren't orphans! Also, the church has a sketchy record on just what they constitute as "good" homes. Lastly, the church closed the division of their own accord, they weren't forcefully shut down.

From the article:

Catholic Charities affiliates in Illinois are closing down rather than comply with a new requirement that says they can no longer receive state money if they turn away same-sex couples as potential foster care and adoptive parents.

That's not forcing them to shut down. They can stay open, they just won't be receiving state money if they don't comply with the new requirements.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
From the article:

Catholic Charities affiliates in Illinois are closing down rather than comply with a new requirement that says they can no longer receive state money if they turn away same-sex couples as potential foster care and adoptive parents.

That's not forcing them to shut down. They can stay open, they just won't be receiving state money if they don't comply with the new requirements.

they can no longer fund it on their own because of the homosexual priest scandal

it cost over a billion

GFR7

why did they close?
I think they were forced to close. To punish them by withdrawing state funding, simply due to the fact that they were adhering to centuries of Church teaching and doctrine, is mean-spirited. There are plenty of secular agencies which cater to the LGBT crowd.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
They chose to close themselves.

they were forced to close
they lost their funding because they would not accept same sex marriage
they needed this funding
because
the church lost over a billion dollars due to the homosexual priest scandal

Sitamun

The fact that the church could not continue to carry on without government funds is no ones fault, but the church's.
Also, isn't it the PEDOPHILE priest scandal? That scandal lays ONLY at the feet of the Church. We all know it so I won't go into it.
If the Church was FORCED to close, who forced them?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The fact that the church could not continue to carry on without government funds is no ones fault, but the church's.
Also, isn't it the PEDOPHILE priest scandal? That scandal lays ONLY at the feet of the Church. We all know it so I won't go into it.
If the Church was FORCED to close, who forced them?

the church took a chance with homosexual priests thinking they would be celibate
and
we found out they could not be trusted in this environment

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
they were forced to close
they lost their funding because they would not accept same sex marriage
they needed this funding
because
the church lost over a billion dollars due to the homosexual priest scandal

the church took a chance with homosexual priests thinking they would be celibate
and
we found out they could not be trusted in this environment

This doesn't even make sense. On one hand, you say they lost funding for not accepting homosexual marriage ...

BUT they accept homosexual priests? When will you ever admit to the fact that anything that happens under the watch of the church is their fault?

TrakeM

Well, it is an amicus brief by 100 people, but I'm not so sure I'd call them scholars. Has their arguments printed in the brief been published in a peer reviewed journal? I'm not just talking about some of the facts they reference, but the argument they are making in full. Their methods seem a bit questionable at best (comparing marriage drops of states with gay marriage to those without gay marriage).

GFR7

Well, it is an amicus brief by 100 people, but I'm not so sure I'd call them scholars. Has their arguments printed in the brief been published in a peer reviewed journal? I'm not just talking about some of the facts they reference, but the argument they are making in full. Their methods seem a bit questionable at best (comparing marriage drops of states with gay marriage to those without gay marriage).
Well, if these deficiencies are true, I am certain it will be noted and taken under advisement by the Supreme Court justices.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
This doesn't even make sense. On one hand, you say they lost funding for not accepting homosexual marriage ...

BUT they accept homosexual priests? When will you ever admit to the fact that anything that happens under the watch of the church is their fault?

they did accept homsexual priests in good faith thinking they would be celibate
they no longer do
now that they know homosexuals cannot be trusted in that environment