Just war theory

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
If all the effort is to kill one murderer, it is sad if anyone else dies. But then should we be killing a murderer? Do you see why it matters to me?

What reason are you a pacifist and what does it mean to you?

Edit what matters to me is if we ever employ the death penalty. There needs to be a judge right?
Willie Horton never happened.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
When the law instructs us to Love your neighbor, you are saying that someone who is trying to murder you, isn't our neighbor, and so the command to love your neighbor as yourself, doesn't apply when somebody is trying to murder you, or your family? Are you saying that that attempted murderer, of you, or of your family, is your neighbor, or are you trying to saying that the attempted murderer is not your neighbor, and so we don't have to obey Jesus when He says to love our neighbors as ourselves, since we have just defined an attempted murderer as not our neighbor?

Interesting approach. You know, it was the Good Samaritan who was the neighbor, not the two jerks who walked by. They weren't even trying to murder the guy, they just didn't help, and Christ's lesson is that it was the Good Samaritan who was your neighbor, not the ones who didn't help you. So where is an attempted murderer of your family, on that scale? Are they more like Good Samaritans, or more like the ones who walked on by?
I have a great family. Instead of attempted murderers, talking about murderer or a murderer would be someone who has killed. The question about a neighbor is if we know to love our neighbor as ourself no one would be a murderer. Now something different. If there is family there is law about avenging that person's blood, the person murdered. Then war is intervention or meddling in someone else's affairs. But how is a murderer to die according to the law? I forget if it is by stoning or some other way.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus was given the death penalty

Christians should be more about life than death
But
A lot of posters on this site want to Pharisaic- but the Old Law was heavily abused to perform the interests of the Jews themselves rather than being a natural law.
Jesus put an end to that.
Are you against all war? And, are you for Law somehow?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I see that the religion forum here includes philosophy. When is a war just? What is the relationship or involvement of religion or God in just war? Is it a matter of governments and militaries? What is the role of a judge in rendering a death penalty? Should war be to create peace and or what is the danger of that? What about the secular world which seems to want peace? What if Christians do not go to war?

Jesus says to love your enemy. His followers should not get involved in any kind of violence.

Jesus also says His followers are not of the world. The war is of the world.

blessings.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Here is what Jesus has to say about "love your enemy":

Here is what Jesus has to say:Luke 6:27-36 King James Version)

27But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.
30Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32For if ye love them which love you what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34And if ye to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36Be ye therefore merciful, as your Fatheralso is merciful.

and some more:

Matthew 26:52
“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."
John 18:36

And His faithful disciples harmonize with Jesus' word:

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 corinthian 10:4-5)

Romans 12:17-21
17Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. 20Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head." 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

II Corinthians 10:3,4
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds."

Ephesians 6:12
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus says to love your enemy. His followers should not get involved in any kind of violence.

Jesus also says His followers are not of the world. The war is of the world.

blessings.

Here is what Jesus has to say about "love your enemy":

Here is what Jesus has to say:Luke 6:27-36 King James Version)

27But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.
30Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32For if ye love them which love you what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34And if ye to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36Be ye therefore merciful, as your Fatheralso is merciful.

and some more:

Matthew 26:52
“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."
John 18:36

And His faithful disciples harmonize with Jesus' word:

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 corinthian 10:4-5)

Romans 12:17-21
17Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. 20Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head." 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

II Corinthians 10:3,4
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds."

Ephesians 6:12
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

BTW Jacob,

There is no such thing as just war for Jesus' followers.
Very good meshak.

Am I to believe that Jesus wants me to obey God's Law?

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
that will be the day when there is no more injustice, no more evil

don't hold your breath
It's just the day that we accept the fact that the world isn't Disneyland. Attempted murderers are real. And being armed and ready to apply lethal force in defense of yourself and of other innocent people, is how we solve the problem of war right at the interpersonal level where it belongs. Si vis pacem, para bellum, applies as well to us individuals, as it does to armies and navies. We solve this at the personal level, and it will bubble up to end all wars.
There is going to be perfect and peaceful world when Jesus starts to reign.
Tomato-tomahtoe.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There is going to be perfect and peaceful world when Jesus starts to reign.
Will we meet Him in the air when He returns and Him bring us to heaven to be with God (rooms, mansions)? Then would we be experiencing peace on earth? I ask because I can think this.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Will we meet Him in the air when He returns and Him bring us to heaven to be with God (rooms, mansions)? Then would we be experiencing peace on earth? I ask because I can think this.

Remember Jesus talks about small flock? I think they are going to be with God and Jesus up in the heaven.

And the large flock of saved ones remain in peaceful earth.

This is my contextual reasoning.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Remember Jesus talks about small flock? I think they are going to be with God and Jesus up in the heaven.

Your reasoning does not make sense to me.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Who did the Lord Jesus call 'the little flock' when He was on earth?

And over who and from where did He say they would be reigning?