Judging for DUMMIES...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Can anyone spell "trademark infringement"?

Just a friendly quesition; I trust you have permission from Wiley and Sons to modify their trademark and sell it?

(Just trying to help you hold onto your hard-earned resources...)

Freak

Originally posted by Zakath
Can anyone spell "trademark infringement"?

Just a friendly quesition; I trust you have permission from Wiley and Sons to modify their trademark and sell it?

(Just trying to help you hold onto your hard-earned resources...)

Big bad Zakath has spoken. You better run.....

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Goose
oh please
Just trying to be a helpful netizen.

When Company A uses Comany B's trademarked material for Company A's commercial goods you've got to pay the trademark owner, or at least get permission.

Unless, of course, Knight is giving away the shirts. Then the rules are a bit different...

Freak

Originally posted by Goose
And we know that about 3 of these will sell and profit HUGE rewards....

For you must understand my dear friend Goose, atheists like being cruel and Zakath is acting out his anger that is deep within him.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Zakath
. . . quesition . . .
Not to go off topic but this brings to mind a question I've had about dyslexia. Do dyslexic people also read numbers backwards?

When they pay a bill for $27 do they sometimes write the check out for $72 instead? Does anyone know a dyslexic person who can answer this?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
I have a child who is dyslexic. There are a number of forms of this cognitive processing disorder. This individual's improves when on certain medication.

Some forms of it are treatable with medication, some do not appear to respond to any known meds.

I'm not a cognitive psychologist, but IIRC, dyslexia is an apparent temporary disconnect between the recognition of written symbols (letters, numbers, etc.) or language sounds (phonemes) and the processing order of the symbols. Thus dyslexia can be observed with written language and numbers as well as words. When the person is asked to reproduce a string of symbols or phonemes they do so out of the original order.

Some people, myself included, have what can probably described as weak or mild dyslexia. It manifests mostly when I'm stressed or not paying full time and attention to what I am typing. It is not usually treated with medication, but requires the individual to pay particular attention to handling words or strings of numbers.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Freak
For you must understand my dear friend Goose, atheists like being cruel and Zakath is acting out his anger that is deep within him.

"atheists like being cruel"? "acting out his anger"?:crackup:

Interesting characterizations, Jay. You sound like another "wannabe shrink" without the cojones or intellect to endure the study required for certification or licensing...

Sorry to bust your amateur bubble, Jay my lad. No anger here. Just a concern for Knight's well-being. If I didn't care, I wouldn't have posted.

I'm sure he has things well in hand.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Thanks for the info on dyslexia Zak. I was wondering why I've never heard of any lawsuits from dyslexic people who have accidently written checks out for the wrong amount and then tried to recover the difference in court.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Jefferson
Thanks for the info Zak.
You're very welcome.

I was wondering why I've never heard of any lawsuits from dyslexic people who have accidently written checks out for the wrong amount and then tried to recover the amount in court.
In a country as diverse as the U.S. I'd be willing to wager there probably have been a few such suits. :rolleyes:

Most of the suits involving dyslexia that I'm familiar with are Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) violation suits for alleged discrimination in hiring or promotion or suits by parents or guardians to have government schools provide special services for their dyslexic students.

shilohproject

Thanks for the info on dyslexia Zak. I was wondering why I've never heard of any lawsuits from dyslexic people who have accidently written checks out for the wrong amount and then tried to recover the amount in court.

I would think that the redundancy involved in writing out the number in words on the amount line would act as a buffer in this situation. The dyslexic check writer might transpose a 7 for a 2, as in your earlier example, but he/she doesn't necessarily think wrongly about the amount due. They might tear up a lot of miswritten checks, though.

BTW, do you not think the trademark question is valid? My wife is a litigator, perhaps I could ask her for you...

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not to go off topic but this brings to mind a question I've had about dyslexia. Do dyslexic people also read numbers backwards?

When they pay a bill for $27 do they sometimes write the check out for $72 instead? Does anyone know a dyslexic person who can answer this?

I'm dyslexic. And, the answer to your question is yes. That's why I always check everything four or five times when I do my bills.