John Calvin said this....

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Whole bunch of speculation.

You have to believe some more manmade nonsense about a supposed fall.

If Adam was not a sinner he would not have sinned.

Get over it, God created a sinner.

You are on your way to hell if you do not repent.

Anyone who tells you that you're saved is selling you something.

moparguy

One major down side to starting such threads as this is giving opportunity for posts such as the one quoted above that is literally one blasphemous statement after another.

Since I started the thread, I wonder if all you Calvinists would agree with moparguy and accuse me of "creating" the blasphemy contained in moparguy's post, since without my thread his blasphemy wouldn't exist?

Ah, it's door number three: call your opponent a blasphemer and give ZERO justification for your claim.

Especially don't be berean and exegete a response out of God's word.

A great exhibition that what God says matters to you; especially that you think that God's word is capable of refuting so-called blasphemers. :think:

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Do you care about this person you're accusing of being a blasphemer? Do you think God is capable of saving someone who isn't saved?

"For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life."

Or were you honestly only starting this thread to call people names and mock those who you call heretics and blasphemers? Internet auto-da-fe?

Last edited:

Shasta

God is in control! Spiritual warfare can be tough. We know ephesians 5 says we battle spiritual forces. The passage in 2nd chronicles and many more show us the dialogue that is taking place in the spiritual realms. You have the instance in Job, you have Elijah seeing the angels all around, you have the demons begging to go in the swine and much more. 2chronicles proves when you obey the lying spirits you were actually obeying God!

Or it shows that when you refuse to listen to the truth, as Ahab had done for a long time, God finally gives you over to you over to the one you have listened to.

Shasta

Fire is very real, it can be good or evil...it is knowledge which makes the difference. The same is true of ice.

In the beginning the earth was void and without form and darkness covered the face of the deep...in short there was chaos...it was out of this chaos that God created order, out of darkness He created light, out of nothing He created matter.

I agree with the first statement. You have to have knowledge in order to sin. As for the rest I am not sure but what you are getting physical and metaphysical light and darkness confused.

While it is true that God created all things out of nothing He did not and cannot create good and evil out of nothing. For one thing, evil is not a created thing. It is not a "thing" like an object is a thing. It is merely the perversion of MORAL good. Evil does not have any existence apart from good. On the other hand Good has always existed because it is a characteristic of God who always has been.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

Shasta

It's like this.

One cannot certainly say God predestined people to damnation.

By the very same token you cannot certainly say he didn't.

What is certain is that we don't get to judge God.

For good or evil.

I can say that I do not think the scripture teaches that. I also know that Early Christianity directly taught against that view until Augustine came and smuggled Gnostic views into the Church. Even then those in the East who could still read the scriptures in the original languages continued to deny it.

I do not believe in judging God. I do not judge God. I judge Calvin's concept of God because I do not think it accurately represents Him.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I agree with the first statement. You have to have knowledge in order to sin. As for the rest I am not sure but what you are getting physical and metaphysical light and darkness confused.

While it is true that God created all things out of nothing He did not and cannot create good and evil out of nothing. For one thing, evil is not a created thing. It is not a "thing" like an object is a thing. It is merely the perversion of MORAL good. Evil does not have any existence apart from good. On the other hand Good has always existed because it is a characteristic of God who always has been.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

You are mixing up evil with sin, evil is a power just as electricity consist of negative and positive power.

If you think about it good can only exist in relation to evil.

Light can only exist in relation to darkness, order in relation to chaos. But before there was light there was darkness, before order chaos, before there was matter there was void.

Sin is the use of evil for wrong purpose...Man is part of the good which God created out of evil, he is good as God created him, and inasmuch as God took him and placed him of the garden of beauty and abundance God separated man from evil.

See the way God works

First He creates man, there is no consultation He just does it. Man having been created by God's sovereign will and according to God's sovereign will and pleasure must now be given the choice.

First God does it, then He gives the choice...for the saying is true, God has not made us to be robots.

Shasta

Indeed.

Free will: choosing according to one's inclinations at the moment one so chooses.

AMR

This is your straw man definition of "freewill." In the theology of the ECFs who originally coined the term it meant simply real "volition." It meant that his choices were not predetermined by Fate or God but that they were truly his own.

Your definition that a choice is just the sum total of a person's desires at a given moment is identical to the philosophy of deterministic behaviorism espoused by John Broadus Watson whose reductionist views were degrading and dehumanizing to all mankind. It makes all of us into automatons which, in Calvin's system can be completely controlled by manipulating the number and strengths of the countless desires. This is not even true scientifically. Freewill is still a mystery even for Atheists.

If man is a deterministic system manipulated by a superhuman Controller into "loving" Him then I wonder how genuine such love is. I love Him because I was made to love Him because I was outwitted by Divine knowledge and overpowered by the Divine will. Augustine thought it was okay for him to coerce people into the Faith on the basis that the Father in Jesus parable ordered his servants to "go out and COMPEL them to come in." I think Augustine's (and Calvin's) God is something of a bully.

Shasta

You are mixing up evil with sin, evil is a power just as electricity consist of negative and positive power.

If you think about it good can only exist in relation to evil.

Light can only exist in relation to darkness, order in relation to chaos. But before there was light there was darkness, before order chaos, before there was matter there was void.

Sin is the use of evil for wrong purpose...Man is part of the good which God created out of evil, he is good as God created him, and inasmuch as God took him and placed him of the garden of beauty and abundance God separated man from evil.

See the way God works

First He creates man, there is no consultation He just does it. Man having been created by God's sovereign will and according to God's sovereign will and pleasure must now be given the choice.

First God does it, then He gives the choice...for the saying is true, God has not made us to be robots.

I completely agree that we are not robots and that man was given the trees so he could exercise the will he had been given; however some of what you are saying is dualism which is not a Christian concept. Dualism - like Taoism or Manichaeism holds that Good and Evil are co-eternal, that though they war they cannot exist without the other. Dualism also treats metaphysical light and darkness as forces.

In Christianity Evil cannot exist apart from good because it is a ultimately a perversion of something good. Good, on the other hand, can exist apart from evil. After all, God Himself existed in Eternity prior to the creation of man and God is good.

Your statement "sin is the use of evil for wrong purpose...Man is part of the good which God created out of evil" makes no sense to me. For one thing, in what sense was man "created out of evil?" God was His creator and God is good and God said man was good. God made him out of matter which is a little messy but it is not evil. I do not think sin is the use of evil for the wrong purpose. I think sin is the use of something that is good for the wrong purpose.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Ah, it's door number three: call your opponent a blasphemer and give ZERO justification for your claim.

Especially don't be berean and exegete a response out of God's word.

A great exhibition that what God says matters to you; especially that you think that God's word is capable of refuting so-called blasphemers. :think:

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Do you care about this person you're accusing of being a blasphemer? Do you think God is capable of saving someone who isn't saved?

"For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life."

Or were you honestly only starting this thread to call people names and mock those who you call heretics and blasphemers? Internet auto-da-fe?
I stand 100% behind what I said and will say it again. Your post is and your doctrine is blasphemous!

God is not responsible for evil for the same reason creation happened and we exist: because he is the definer of WHAT IS. God says he is not responsible; therefore he is not responsible; because he has said he is not. By his very nature he cannot be wrong. God is the definer, man is not. God says we are responsible for the evil we do; for the mere reason that he has said we are responsible, we are responsible, and deserving of punishment.

More than that, you are a fool! You worship a god that is not merely arbitrary but is blatantly unjust.

You directly accuse God of creating evil!

BY WHAT DEFINITION OF THE TERM IS THAT NOT BLASPHEMY???

Oh! Let me guess, your god's definition, right?!!! If so then your god is a fool along with you.

And besides, where do you get off being upset with me for calling you the blasphemer that you are? Your god surely must have predestined me to do it before time began, right? Sounds like your issue is with your changeless stone idol, not me.

Resting in Him,
Clete

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
I can say that I do not think the scripture teaches that.

I know that's not what you think.

However, who are you, shasta to reply against God?

Where were you shasta when God decreed?

I also know that Early Christianity directly taught against that view until Augustine came and smuggled Gnostic views into the Church. Even then those in the East who could still read the scriptures in the original languages continued to deny it.

I've seen the writings you quote.

You have just as hard a time understanding them as you do the scriptures.

I do not believe in judging God. I do not judge God.

Yes you unwittingly do.

By being afraid to contemplate that God does as he pleases,and not always what seems fair to man, you judge what it is that pleases him.