JOHN 3:16 IS THIS OUR GOSPEL?

DougE

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This is a glorious verse. From this verse we can learn the love of God. We can learn that it is Christ Jesus who saves us unto eternal life. We can learn that our trust and faith is placed in Jesus.

This verse however, does not convey the cross.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Peter and the apostles preached faith in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins and eternal life (Luke 24:47 Acts 10:43).

Matthew 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Israel had to believe that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God for eternal life.

Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Jesus told his disciples that he must be killed and that he would rise again (Matthew 16:21). Jesus told them that he would shed his blood for the new testament. The new testament was made with Israel (Jeremiah 31:31).

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Jesus suffered the death of the cross to redeem Israel from the sins they committed under the old testament. Peter preached the cross to fulfill the new testament. The death of the testator was necessary to put in force the new testament (Hebrews 9:17).

Paul preached that by the cross, salvation unto eternal life was provided freely to all by the sacrifice of Christ (Romans 3:22-24). Paul preached that Jesus died for our sins.

Paul preached the gospel Jesus revealed to him and which we are to believe:

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

John 3:16 and the preaching of all twelve apostles is the foundation of Paul's gospel and our salvation:

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Psalm 33:21 For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.
We also have trusted in the name of Jesus.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This is a glorious verse. From this verse we can learn the love of God. We can learn that it is Christ Jesus who saves us unto eternal life. We can learn that our trust and faith is placed in Jesus.

It does to me.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Peter and the apostles preached faith in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins and eternal life (Luke 24:47 Acts 10:43).

Matthew 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Israel had to believe that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God for eternal life.

Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Jesus told his disciples that he must be killed and that he would rise again (Matthew 16:21). Jesus told them that he would shed his blood for the new testament. The new testament was made with Israel (Jeremiah 31:31).

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Jesus suffered the death of the cross to redeem Israel from the sins they committed under the old testament. Peter preached the cross to fulfill the new testament. The death of the testator was necessary to put in force the new testament (Hebrews 9:17).

Paul preached that by the cross, salvation unto eternal life was provided freely to all by the sacrifice of Christ (Romans 3:22-24). Paul preached that Jesus died for our sins.

Paul preached the gospel Jesus revealed to him and which we are to believe:

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

John 3:16 and the preaching of all twelve apostles is the foundation of Paul's gospel and our salvation:

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Psalm 33:21 For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.
We also have trusted in the name of Jesus.

If you believe in Jesus, You believe in His death, burial and resurrection. Therefore you believe in His vicarious work at the cross.

Right Divider

Body part
If you believe in Jesus, You believe in His death, burial and resurrection. Therefore you believe in His vicarious work at the cross.
Did John the baptizer believe in Jesus?
Did John the baptizer believe in His death, burial and resurrection?
Did John the baptizer believe in His vicarious work at the cross?

Why didn't Peter present the cross as good news in Act 1-8?

You're missing something.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned

Not necessarily. There are some who believe Jesus came in the flesh. And that that flesh was condemned on the cross by God. And that the flesh Jesus was raised with dies no more.

Then there are antichrist who believe Jesus did not come in the flesh. Don't invite them into your home or wish them Godspeed.

Last edited:

notreligus

John 3:16 is definitely the main theme of the Gospel. Only the son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ, could have satisfied the Father's demand for the payment that would reconcile mankind back to Him.

This chapter of Romans is more expansive...

Rom 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Rom 5:2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Rom 5:3 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,
Rom 5:4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,
Rom 5:5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
Rom 5:6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
Rom 5:7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person-though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-
Rom 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
Rom 5:10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
Rom 5:11 More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned-
Rom 5:13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.
Rom 5:14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.
Rom 5:15 But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.
Rom 5:16 And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification.
Rom 5:17 For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.
Rom 5:18 Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.
Rom 5:19 For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.
Rom 5:20 Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,
Rom 5:21 so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
You are exhibiting chronological bias.

You are reading future knowledge back into history.

Much of Churchianity does that.

It's not future knowledge to me. As I said, I know the story. Am I supposed to pretend I don't know that God gave his beloved son so that whosoever believes in him shall not perish for all eternity but be saved from death just as God's beloved son was saved from death by the resurrection of life?

Was that a mystery to many at the time Jesus came? I would say yes. But it's not a mystery to me.

Right Divider

Body part
It's not future knowledge to me.
Are you being intentionally dense?

The "future knowledge" was things that those at the time did not know.

As I said, I know the story. Am I supposed to pretend I don't know that God gave his beloved son so that whosoever believes in him shall not perish for all eternity but be saved from death just as God's beloved son was saved from death by the resurrection of life?

Was that a mystery to many at the time Jesus came? I would say yes. But it's not a mystery to me.
You're so proud of your "knowledge" and your "story".

Even after years of ministry with Christ, THEY did not even know that He had to die.

Luk 18:31-34 KJV Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. (32) For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: (33) And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. (34) And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
Are you being intentionally dense?

The "future knowledge" was things that those at the time did not know.

You're so proud of your "knowledge" and your "story".

Even after years of ministry with Christ, THEY did not even know that He had to die.

Luk 18:31-34 KJV Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. (32) For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: (33) And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. (34) And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.

So you confess to not knowing why God sent His beloved son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life? John 3:16

"Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world". John 1:29

What do you suppose that means?

Well, if the first century Jew was a good student of the Scripture he would recall Isaiah 53

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

I'm not as dense as you would pretend I am. And the Jew who knew Jesus was called the Lamb of God would know that he was to be killed for sins.

Right Divider

Body part
So you confess to not knowing why God sent His beloved son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life? John 3:16
False accusation ... oh childish one.

"Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world". John 1:29

What do you suppose that means?
The goat that took away the sin runs into the wilderness ALIVE.

Lev 16:7-10 KJV And he shall take the two goats, and present them before the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. (8) And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat. (9) And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the LORD'S lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering. (10) But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.

That is what John the baptizer was talking about. He (J the B), like the twelve, did NOT understand that Christ must die.

Well, if the first century Jew was a good student of the Scripture he would recall Isaiah 53

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

I'm not as dense as you would pretend I am. And the Jew who knew Jesus was called the Lamb of God would know that he was to be killed for sins.
Read the scripture and try to learn from it. The one that takes away the sin and to make atonement runs away ALIVE.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
False accusation ... oh childish one.

The goat that took away the sin runs into the wilderness ALIVE.

Lev 16:7-10 KJV And he shall take the two goats, and present them before the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. (8) And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat. (9) And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the LORD'S lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering. (10) But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.

That is what John the baptizer was talking about. He (J the B), like the twelve, did NOT understand that Christ must die.

Read the scripture and try to learn from it. The one that takes away the sin and to make atonement runs away ALIVE.

Ok, so now you confess that Jesus didn't die. I'm sorry for you. And at the same time you ignore Isaiah 53 which speaks of the suffering and death of the servant and LAMB of God, Jesus Christ.

Jesus' disciples had been with their Master for more than three years. Of course they didn't want to see him killed. When Jesus told Peter that he had to go to Jerusalem to suffer and be killed Peter tried to stop him. Jesus turn to Peter and said "Get behind me Satan for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men." You see Peter was a man in the flesh and was thinking with his flesh rather than on the things of God. So Jesus had to rebuke Peter. We all struggle in the flesh, and the sin which so easily besets us is the sin of unbelief. But that does not negate the FACT that Jesus' death, as the Lamb of God was prophesied for them to believe.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
Another FALSE and CHILDISH allegation.

Good bye.

It's not a false allegation because you BOLDLY stated that Jesus escaped ALIVE by quoting a passage from Leviticus where the scapegoat was not killed.

Now, anyone who reads what you say can easily see that you are claiming that Jesus, just as the scapegoat, was not killed. Therefore, it is not a false allegation to say that you confess that Jesus was not killed.

Goodbye to you sir, as I have nothing more to discuss with anyone who refuses to believed Jesus Christ, the son of the living God, died, was buried, and raised again on the third day.

Truster

Nobody ever takes into concideration who Yah Shua was speaking these words to and in what context they were used and recieved.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
Nobody ever takes into concideration who Yah Shua was speaking these words to and in what context they were used and recieved.

I'll confess with Peter when Jesus asked him who he was. Peter replied: "You are the Christ, the son of the living God".

Right Divider

Body part
It's not a false allegation because you BOLDLY stated that Jesus escaped ALIVE by quoting a passage from Leviticus where the scapegoat was not killed.
No I did NOT say that. I said that John the B was preferring to the scapegoat that TAKES AWAY the sins and did NOT know that Christ had to die. John even doubted at one time that Jesus was the Christ.