Joel Osteen’s Fake, Heretical ‘Christianity’ Isn’t Any Better Than Atheism

...I was compelled by some dark force to click on the good pastor’s Twitter page and read more of these morsels. As I skimmed, I learned, among other things, that “if I get rid of the negative” then “God will fill my life with good things,” and that I must “break out in my thinking” so that I won’t be “kept from my destiny,” and that if I “live in my faith” very soon “all of my dreams will come to pass,” and that I can only “go forward” if I don’t “focus on the negative,” and that “if I have a positive mindset” then “I can’t be defeated,” and that “the fuel I need to accomplish my dreams, release my potential, and overcome obstacles is the anointing on my life.”

I’m fairly sure that last one actually makes no sense. It’s almost like a bunch of random buzzwords from a Joel Osteen word search were strung together haphazardly. This is common with prosperity preachers. Lacking the truth, they tend sometimes to descend into utter incoherence, pouring out of their smiling mouths a verbal smoothie of faintly spiritual cliches.

But there are some words that never seem to make it into the smoothie. If you listen closely to all the self-help mumbo jumbo spewed by these heretics, you may notice the glaring absence of certain crucial terms; terms that any pastor ought to be shouting proudly and with great regularity. For one thing, you won’t hear ”Christ.” Neither will you hear “sin.” Or redemption, sacrifice, atonement, repentance, Bible, etc. Prosperity preachers are notoriously hesitant to share the spotlight with Jesus. They’d rather keep all the attention centered on the self — their own selves, specifically – and some vague “god” character, who, according to their mythology, is a genie-like figure who shows up to grant wishes before returning to his magic lamp.

In Osteen’s case, I saw that he sends out one or two tweets a day, and almost none of them mention anything about Jesus or Scripture. I brought this to the Osteen’s attention and he responded by blocking me. Dozens of people told me they’d been treated similarly when they asked the “pastor” why he doesn’t ever invite Christ into his “Christian” ministry. Apparently, not only does Osteen refuse to talk about Our Lord, but he will block anyone who so much as utters His Holy Name. You know, just like Scripture commands:

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of self-help and positivity, and lo, if any evildoer mentions the Lord, thou shalt blocketh him and runneth to thine safe space.” — The Gospel according to Joel.

Of course, Joel Osteen and his fellow prosperity “pastors” have many defenders. Osteen’s “church” is the biggest in the country for a reason. It’s so big that his entire congregation would only barely be able to fit into his enormous mansion if they were all invited over for dinner. Obviously Osteen is connecting with people. A man must be very good at connecting with people if he can cash in on their loyalty to the tune of $40 million, buy a 17,000 square foot castle and a few other properties, and somehow still convince his flock to donate to him. (Yes, it’s true that Jesus said ”whoever has will be given more,” but I don’t think this is what he meant.)

Source and more: http://www.theblaze.com/contributio...al-christianity-isnt-any-better-than-atheism/

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

...I was compelled by some dark force to click on the good pastor’s Twitter page and read more of these morsels. As I skimmed, I learned, among other things, that “if I get rid of the negative” then “God will fill my life with good things,” and that I must “break out in my thinking” so that I won’t be “kept from my destiny,” and that if I “live in my faith” very soon “all of my dreams will come to pass,” and that I can only “go forward” if I don’t “focus on the negative,” and that “if I have a positive mindset” then “I can’t be defeated,” and that “the fuel I need to accomplish my dreams, release my potential, and overcome obstacles is the anointing on my life.”

I’m fairly sure that last one actually makes no sense. It’s almost like a bunch of random buzzwords from a Joel Osteen word search were strung together haphazardly. This is common with prosperity preachers. Lacking the truth, they tend sometimes to descend into utter incoherence, pouring out of their smiling mouths a verbal smoothie of faintly spiritual cliches.

But there are some words that never seem to make it into the smoothie. If you listen closely to all the self-help mumbo jumbo spewed by these heretics, you may notice the glaring absence of certain crucial terms; terms that any pastor ought to be shouting proudly and with great regularity. For one thing, you won’t hear ”Christ.” Neither will you hear “sin.” Or redemption, sacrifice, atonement, repentance, Bible, etc. Prosperity preachers are notoriously hesitant to share the spotlight with Jesus. They’d rather keep all the attention centered on the self — their own selves, specifically – and some vague “god” character, who, according to their mythology, is a genie-like figure who shows up to grant wishes before returning to his magic lamp.

In Osteen’s case, I saw that he sends out one or two tweets a day, and almost none of them mention anything about Jesus or Scripture. I brought this to the Osteen’s attention and he responded by blocking me. Dozens of people told me they’d been treated similarly when they asked the “pastor” why he doesn’t ever invite Christ into his “Christian” ministry. Apparently, not only does Osteen refuse to talk about Our Lord, but he will block anyone who so much as utters His Holy Name. You know, just like Scripture commands:

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of self-help and positivity, and lo, if any evildoer mentions the Lord, thou shalt blocketh him and runneth to thine safe space.” — The Gospel according to Joel.

Of course, Joel Osteen and his fellow prosperity “pastors” have many defenders. Osteen’s “church” is the biggest in the country for a reason. It’s so big that his entire congregation would only barely be able to fit into his enormous mansion if they were all invited over for dinner. Obviously Osteen is connecting with people. A man must be very good at connecting with people if he can cash in on their loyalty to the tune of $40 million, buy a 17,000 square foot castle and a few other properties, and somehow still convince his flock to donate to him. (Yes, it’s true that Jesus said ”whoever has will be given more,” but I don’t think this is what he meant.)

Source and more: http://www.theblaze.com/contributio...al-christianity-isnt-any-better-than-atheism/

So what are you trying to say?

There's BIG money to be had for the "Prosperity Preachers." These guys aren't true Christians in my opinion.

I've long believed they're mainly atheist con men and women. They don't have Holy Spirit understanding and truth, teach false prophecy and/or watered down, ear tickling, psychobabble, feel-good gospels that bring in the mobs, carnal versus eternal perspectives. They wouldn't be sincerely seeking God, doing what they're doing, which will end in hell, if they actually believed the word of God. I can just look at the way they conduct their carnival acts and see the phoniness: you don't really need to note the false gospels, to see the huckster techniques, the emotional hooks of the pitchman.

It's the perfect con. Pick everybody's pocket, legally, even tax free. Why would any atheist con artist, who can fake religion, risk illegal frauds and prison, when he can do such a big ticket con, with legal impunity?

Was just thinking, when it comes right down to it, what they're doing is just another form of freaking show business.

Last edited:
He has an awful lot of people following his "ministry".

The Bolsheviks had a huge following, also. In fact, the mob is almost always wrong, a repeated theme, throughout history. When the true way is straight and narrow, that few find, you just added a big nail in the coffins of these hucksters. I know firsthand, for a fact, that a Bible believing church that teaches the whole gospel, including doctrine on sin, holiness and hell, that teaches an eternal and spiritual focus, will not fill any stadium-like venue, as an ongoing congregational concern. I take it you couldn't possibly be making an "awful lot of people" argument being anything remotely positive. You got a second term of Obama, too, and Germany got Hitler. So much for lots of people. As a matter of fact, show me what the mob's doing, and I'm looking for the exit.

They prey on the naivete of others and the poor.

It was about 20 years ago, but I was once talking to a telemarketer, who worked for this big telemarketing outfit, with all sorts of contracts, and asked what was the worst. It was the religious campaigns, she said, where they were hired to pick peoples' pockets, give this scripted pitch made to generate guilt and promise blessings, often to somebody they knew was poor and couldn't even afford the $10 or $20 they extracted from them, especially the old people, this to put in the pockets of guys with private planes, Bentleys and olympic swimming pools, out back of their mansions. She said it made her feel dirty. Imagine that, this made a telemarketer feel dirty! It was also interesting that, and she didn't know this, I was a Christian and struck that she also said how she hated religious people, what scumbags they are.

2 Peter 2

1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

I believe Osteen is a prime example of that verse where Jesus said depart from me I never knew you. On judgement day. Yeah he is making big bucks but it's not worth it in the long run.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using TheologyOnline mobile app

I can never think of the "Lord, Lord" verses, without seeing a direct message to the televangelist hucksters, they trying one last pitch to God.

Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I can never think of the "Lord, Lord" verses, without seeing a direct message to the televangelist hucksters, they trying one last pitch to God.

Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Maybe we ought listen to the Lord instead of listening to men, and then we might hear what the Lord is saying through men.

The church is so full of fault finders who themselves are full of faults.

Much of what I have heard from Joel Osteen counters the negativity of the devil within the church.

You just have to discern what the Lord is saying through men instead of judging and condemning the man.

LA

Robert Pate

Banned
He leads people into believing that they are saved, but in reality they are lost. His ministry is not of the Holy Spirit, if it were, he would be magnifying Christ and his Gospel. No Gospel means no Holy Spirit.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He leads people into believing that they are saved, but in reality they are lost. His ministry is not of the Holy Spirit, if it were, he would be magnifying Christ and his Gospel. No Gospel means no Holy Spirit.

What does he do at the end of each of his broadcasts?

Gary K

Banned
He has an awful lot of people following his "ministry".

Ah, yes. Quoting Jesus once again. By their popularity you will know they are speaking truth. Wide is the way to salvation and many shall be the number of them that find both riches and honor on sinful earth and gain heaven after pursuing wealth in this life.

And also quoting Paul. In the last days the true preachers will be preaching wealth, peace and safety and sudden destruction will not come upon them. They shall escape with their riches. No harm shall come to them. The love of riches is the key to salvation.