Jesus said, "Few There be that Find it" Matthew 7:14

jsanford108

I have to agree with Pate here for a simple reason. Once one begins to interchange terms/names, it goes down an unstable path. Not saying it is always dangerous, but often, such cases lead to a divergence from Scripture. For instance, the JW's do this. Mormons do this.

Why not stick to what is plainly written, versus going and finding various alternate, though accurate (at least, initially), names and labels? If you wish to utilize Greek, Hebrew, or Latin nomenclature in discussions, in order to educate or illustrate a point, that is great; but why not quote what is written, then provide clarification?

I just find such replacing and interchanging trivial and petty. And as stated before, it leads to a more lenient tendency for other interchanging scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

CherubRam

I have to agree with Pate here for a simple reason. Once one begins to interchange terms/names, it goes down an unstable path. Not saying it is always dangerous, but often, such cases lead to a divergence from Scripture. For instance, the JW's do this. Mormons do this.

Why not stick to what is plainly written, versus going and finding various alternate, though accurate (at least, initially), names and labels? If you wish to utilize Greek, Hebrew, or Latin nomenclature in discussions, in order to educate or illustrate a point, that is great; but why not quote what is written, then provide clarification?

I just find such replacing and interchanging trivial and petty. And as stated before, it leads to a more lenient tendency for other interchanging scenarios.

The name Jesus is not in the original bible text.

jsanford108

The name Jesus is not in the original bible text.

Neither is the word "love" or "mercy," since they are English words. You missed the point.

If you speak English, utilize the English translations. It doesn't make one look any more intellectual when they start replacing names in a simple quote. For example,
"Jesus wept." Vs "Y'shua wept."

I can utilize Greek, Latin, Hebrew, or Aramic to make my point, but my initial quote does not profit from interchanging terms/names.

CherubRam

Neither is the word "love" or "mercy," since they are English words. You missed the point.

If you speak English, utilize the English translations. It doesn't make one look any more intellectual when they start replacing names in a simple quote. For example,
"Jesus wept." Vs "Y'shua wept."

I can utilize Greek, Latin, Hebrew, or Aramic to make my point, but my initial quote does not profit from interchanging terms/names.

Love and mercy are in the original text of the bible, the translation Jesus is not. Christ name in English is Yahshua. The name "Jesus" is alien to scriptures and English.

God's Truth

This was taken from the parable about the strait gate and the broad way.

"Enter in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many there be which go that way. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads to life, and few there be that find it" Matthew 7:13,14.

What is the broad way that leads to destruction and the strait gate that leads to life?

The broad way is the way of religion. The way must be broad to accommodate the multitudes that have chosen to go that way. Religion is the way of man. It is man centered. Religion is man's effort to please a holy God by what he has done or by what he has become. "Many will say to me on that day (judgment day) Lord, Lord, didn't we..., Matthew 7:22. Lord, Lord, didn't I become a Calvinist? Lord, Lord, didn't I join the Catholic church? They thought that salvation was all about them and what they did or what they had become.

The strait gate is Jesus Christ and his Gospel. Few there be that find it, because few there be that seek it. Truth must be sought. It is only given to those that seek it and receive it. When the Gospel is heard and believed, God gives his Holy Spirit to those that hear and believe it, Galatians 3:2. The Holy Spirit is also known as the "Spirit of Truth" John 14:17. It is the work of the Spirit to magnify and glorify the work of Christ, John 16:13-15.

You can't find it unless you obey the Way.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way...

Robert Pate

Banned
You can't find it unless you obey the Way.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way...

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, no one can come to the father but by him, John 14:6.

I guess that leaves you out, because you think that it is by your obedience.

jsanford108

Love and mercy are in the original text of the bible, the translation Jesus is not. Christ name in English is Yahshua. The name "Jesus" is alien to scriptures and English.

"Jesus" is the English translation.

[The proper name Jesus /ˈdʒiːzəs/ used in the English language, originates from the Latin form of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous), a rendition of the Hebrew Yeshua (ישוע), also having the variants Joshua or Jeshua.] -Source: Encyclopedia Briticana, 2008

Truster

[The proper name Jesus /ˈdʒiːzəs/ used in the English language, originates from the Latin form of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous), a rendition of the Hebrew Yeshua (ישוע), also having the variants Joshua or Jeshua.] -Source: Encyclopedia Briticana, 2008

You go to a secular encyclopedia for spiritual insight?

CherubRam

Because Hebrews dropped their 'ayins', to keep from saying God's name, hence we have "y'shua." Also spelled Yeshua, for which we have in Greek, "Iēsous" and "Isus." These are corruptions of the names that begin with "Yah."

By not pronouncing his name correctly this piece of scripture would go unnoticed.

Exodus 23:21
Pay attention to him and listen to what he says. Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my Name is in him.
Yah / wah and Yah / Shua

John 17:11
I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.
Yah / Shua

Isaiah 52:6
Therefore my people will know my name; therefore in that day they will know that it is I who foretold it. Yes, it is I.”
Yahwah foretold it.

Proverbs 30:4
Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Whose hands have gathered up the wind? Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what is the name of his son? Surely you know!
Yahshua is Yahwah's son.

John 10
36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?
Yahshua said he is a god.

I do not hold to the tradition of Jews and Christians deforming or mispronouncing God's name. It has been a long standing tradition for Jews and Christians to mislead people in knowing God's name.

But because the Galileans always dropped their 'ayins', hence "y'shu. Meaning "may his name be blotted out" (from the scroll of life). According to a Jewish proverb, the worst death is eternal anonymity, for which in the Talmud many Jewish people use as an acronym meaning “may his name be blotted out”.

The name "Jesus" is an insult to Christ, that is why I do not like to use it.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
John 17:11
I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.

The word "name" refers to his authority no matter what you call him.

To call on the name of the Lord is to call on his authority.

There is no other authority for salvation.