jesus is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

moondance

BANNED
Banned
I thought i would see if i could find anybody who believes that Jesus is alive and ask them what evidence do they have for such a ridiculous claim.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
There are many things that you believe but are unable to prove. As Christians, we look to the testimony of several witnesses who, while no longer living, left us with accounts of what happened. We trust those accounts, just as you trust the sources you believe.

Acts 1:1-3
The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 15:3-8
For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.

moondance

BANNED
Banned
I am still waiting for the evidence, it is a genuine question i am really curious as to why anybody believes that Jesus is not dead.

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
I love everything and everyone! Let's sing and dance by the fire! You're so smart, moondance!

(This is Fellowship week, and you are stirring up trouble)

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
I am still waiting for the evidence, it is a genuine question i am really curious as to why anybody believes that Jesus is not dead.
If I asked you about a historical event and asked you to prove it, what evidence would you provide? Letters? Legal documents? Maps?

moondance

BANNED
Banned
There are many things that you believe but are unable to prove. As Christians, we look to the testimony of several witnesses who, while no longer living, left us with accounts of what happened. We trust those accounts, just as you trust the sources you believe.

Acts 1:1-3
The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 15:3-8
For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time. If I asked you about a historical event and asked you to prove it, what evidence would you provide? Letters? Legal documents? Maps?

I appreciate your honest answer. You believe it because it says it in the bible. I cannot find any good reason to take the bible seriously so why do you take the bible seriously?

Any letter or document or map would have to be critically looked at when you apply this to the bible as i said above there is no good reason to trust it, it is full of myths and contradictions and it is classified as mythology.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
I appreciate your honest answer. You believe it because it says it in the bible. I cannot find any good reason to take the bible seriously so why do you take the bible seriously?

I didn't always believe it. It took me a while to gather enough evidence to realize that it is, indeed, a historically accurate document.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I thought i would see if i could find anybody who believes that Jesus is alive and ask them what evidence do they have for such a ridiculous claim.

That you start out by announcing it as a "ridiculous claim", is ample evidence that you would not consider any evidence I offer! Why then, would I jump through your hoops?

assuranceagent

It's a fair question. I believe that Christ has risen not only because the Bible says it is so, but also because there is indications from non-Christian historians (Josephus for one) that there were indeed some VERY strange occurrences that coincided with the crucifixion. Josephus and the Bible both report hundreds of witnesses who claimed to have seen the risen Christ. Even today it only takes 2-3 witnesses to convict someone of a crime in a court of law. Their weight of numbers is considered to eliminate reasonable doubt.

Further, the current existence of Christianity some 2000 years after that event also testifies to the truth of the resurrection. Jesus had told his disciples that he would rise on the third day and others had heard the claim. Had that claim gone unfulfilled the religion and it's contention that he was indeed God in flesh would have died with him. Case in point the many 'messiahs' who have come since and led cults that died with them. This continuation of the belief in Jesus' divinity within his disciples and indeed the explosive growth of the first century church kinda blow out the old "his followers stole the body" explanation for the empty tomb. MANY of Jesus' original followers were martyred horribly for their belief. No one is that committed to a self-perpetuated deception.

As to the Bible - historical and textual criticisms have served to support the claims of the Bible time and time again. Archaeological evidence has repeatedly supported the historicity of the Bible as well. And even non-Christian historians (contemporary and ancient) acknowledge that every prophecy of the Bible up to the current age has been fulfilled. (While it is more difficult to verify the messianic prophecies, the historical ones are plain). As to why I'd believe that it is the inspired, inerrant, Word of God, well....that comes on faith.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dude.... we have been running this forum for over 10 years. Don't you think we have seen a thousand guys just like you come bouncing through this website?

Do you honestly think any of us believe you are actually looking for an answer?

Seriously.... try harder. You might have fun.

moondance

BANNED
Banned
The bible starts of with a creation myth so it has to thrown out straight away as unreliable evidence. Josephus said nothing about Jesus not being dead. That's what i came to find out all you have is the bible and that is why it is a ridiculous claim to say that Jesus is not dead.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
The bible starts of with a creation myth so it has to thrown out straight away as unreliable evidence. Josephus said nothing about Jesus not being dead. That's what i came to find out all you have is the bible and that is why it is a ridiculous claim to say that Jesus is not dead.

What makes you so sure it's a myth? What is your evidence?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a fair question. I believe that Christ has risen not only because the Bible says it is so, but also because there is indications from non-Christian historians (Josephus for one) that there were indeed some VERY strange occurrences that coincided with the crucifixion. Josephus and the Bible both report hundreds of witnesses who claimed to have seen the risen Christ. Even today it only takes 2-3 witnesses to convict someone of a crime in a court of law. Their weight of numbers is considered to eliminate reasonable doubt.

Further, the current existence of Christianity some 2000 years after that event also testifies to the truth of the resurrection. Jesus had told his disciples that he would rise on the third day and others had heard the claim. Had that claim gone unfulfilled the religion and it's contention that he was indeed God in flesh would have died with him. Case in point the many 'messiahs' who have come since and led cults that died with them. This continuation of the belief in Jesus' divinity within his disciples and indeed the explosive growth of the first century church kinda blow out the old "his followers stole the body" explanation for the empty tomb. MANY of Jesus' original followers were martyred horribly for their belief. No one is that committed to a self-perpetuated deception.

As to the Bible - historical and textual criticisms have served to support the claims of the Bible time and time again. Archaeological evidence has repeatedly supported the historicity of the Bible as well. And even non-Christian historians (contemporary and ancient) acknowledge that every prophecy of the Bible up to the current age has been fulfilled. (While it is more difficult to verify the messianic prophecies, the historical ones are plain). As to why I'd believe that it is the inspired, inerrant, Word of God, well....that comes on faith.

It is a fair question, if asked in earnest. Here's hoping you didn't just toss your pearls in the mud, to be trampled underfoot!

moondance

BANNED
Banned
Dude.... we have been running this forum for over 10 years. Don't you think we have seen a thousand guys just like you come bouncing through this website?

Do you honestly think any of us believe you are actually looking for an answer?

Seriously.... try harder. You might have fun.

I am really amazed that some people believe that Jesus is alive so i have to find out for myself the reasons that they give.

assuranceagent

It's trued that Josephus doesn't claim to have witnessed the risen Christ, but he DOES speak of the multitudes of people who did make such a claim. I suggest you read up a bit more on your Josephus.

I find it interesting that you conveniently ignored all the other arguments that I made in favor of the resurrection though. What say you about the idea that Christianity would and should have died with Christ, if indeed he is dead?

I haven't heard one well-reasoned argument from your side yet, but you seem to flippantly dismiss mine. Kinda hard to debate a topic when your oppositions only argument is: that's ridiculous. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.