ECT Jephthah's vow Judges 11:29-40

Bradley D

I had a good idea what your subject when I saw the scripture. Definitely a big problem for many. Some believe that she was sacrificed. What seems to be more of a majority is that she remained a virgin for life.

I find the Bible often records the negatives of Israel's history as well as the positive. Which is quite different from many of todays nations which seem to exclude the negative in their personal history.

Another thought was of Jesus telling us not to make Oaths.

"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one (Matthew 5:33-37).

Also James probably reflecting on the above wrote.

"Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear--not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. All you need to say is a simple 'Yes' or 'No.' Otherwise you will be condemned" (James 5:12).

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does anybody have any insight in here as to why Jephthah would make a vow to the Lord like that? As if that would even please the Lord.
There are basically two schools of thought on Jephthah's vow. One believes that Jephthah actually put his daughter to death by sacrifice, while the other believes that his vow only involved consecrating her to perpetual virginity as an attendant at the tabernacle at Shiloh (see Exodus 38:8; Judges 21:20,21; 1 Samuel 2:22).

The most sensible explanation of these events then would be that Jephthah did not actually perform a human sacrifice because he knew and obeyed God’s laws even though, according to his original vow, this would have been the result. The phrase stating that he “did with her according to his vow” does not actually state that he took her life, but that Jephthah dedicated her to the Lord.

One lesson which we must read is that God cannot be bribed. Here is a man's pathetic attempt to guarantee God's support. By pledging something of great value, of even greater value than he realized at the time, he thought that God would be with him.

AMR

Last edited:

Pamella

Her reaction, as far as recorded, is kind of non chalant. But that is only what has been recorded. I was just reading about how Saul made that oath for no one to eat anything or they would die and they were so battle weary. But he didn't kill his son Johnathan after all because the soldiers persuaded him not to. I didn't see any reprocuusions from the Lord. To my human thinking, I'd think the Lord would say, 'phew.'

genuineoriginal

The phrase stating that he “did with her according to his vow” does not actually state that he took her life, but that Jephthah dedicated her to the Lord.
His vow was, "I will offer it up for a burnt offering," and he "did with her according to his vow."

Many people that refuse to accept what that means will try to find ways of not believing it happened.

JJ84

Although we knew that Jephthah faith was pleasing to God, Hebrews 11:32; it is most certain this vow wasn't. At least twice we are told in the book of Judges there was no king in Israel and every man did what was right in his own eyes; Judges 18:6; 21:6. Jephthah live in a period were Israel often forsook God,Judges 1:10-11, and when they returned to God they would often try to honour Him as they saw others serve they false gods.