Jason Troyer and Jo Scott Expose the Contradiction Between DNA and the Book of Mormon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mustard Seed said:
They don't contradict what God says and do not contradict anything that does constitute scripture.

Just as you claim the evidence is all around so do I.

Here are some more specific evidences pertaining to the Book of Mormon

http://www.jefflindsay.com/BMEvidences.shtml

I asked you about some specific evidence and you have produced nothing. A link to a site that goes up and down and everywhere else does not help your position. Also, how about trying to defend the Book of Mormon without even mentioning the Bible, which you continually do. Can you point to any actual specific evidence at all? Have there been any actual coins, metals, weapons, and silk found in ancient North America that corroborates with the Book of Mormon? Yes or no?

Mustard Seed

Shimei said:
I don't have time to read a book. Bullet points would help.

Did you even read the overview paragraph? It's in a block and took me all of 30 seconds to read?

Hardly a book.

Any evidence of the specific items that I have already brought up?

I've offered the complexity of the monetary/measurement/weight system described. Have you nothing to say of the economy of such a system?

Toast

Mustard, thats not a great argument. Alot of fantasy books also contain complicated ideas of systems and languages that dont really exist. What would be nice is if you could actually show us any archaeological evidence which validates some of the claims of your book.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mustard Seed said:
Did you even read the overview paragraph? It's in a block and took me all of 30 seconds to read?

Hardly a book.

I've offered the complexity of the monetary/measurement/weight system described. Have you nothing to say of the economy of such a system?

Yes, I read the overview and ...what Toast said.

Mustard Seed

Toast said:
Mustard, thats not a great argument. Alot of fantasy books also contain complicated ideas of systems and languages that dont really exist. What would be nice is if you could actually show us any archaeological evidence which validates some of the claims of your book.

It shows that a physical alter (ARCHEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE), dated to the time of the initiation of the journey out of Jerusalem has been found to have the name of an individual that is the same as the individual and location mentioned in the account of the journey in the Book of Mormon AND the location matches in relative terms with the account in the Book of Mormon.

This isn't some made up account of some complicated fairy land thing this is a book claiming a historical account of a journey on the other side of the world in a time where information on the specific places and names mentioned were not complete. Joseph knew about Jerusalem, but he gave the name and relative location of another location that was NOT known to ANY of his contemporaries and is NOT found in ANY contemporary texts available. Yet the position in relative terms is precisely where it should be in the arabian peninsula with the name attributed to it.

Toast

Mustard, could you give us more of the facts about this alter? Show us what your book says about it, and what archaeology has revealed about it, and how it is significant.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
And again, some archaeology evidence for steel and iron, weapons and armor, chariots and coins existing in North America from 600 - 421 A.D as The Book of Mormon claims would be nice.

Did all of these things get swallowed up in an earthquake or something?

Jukia

Shimei said:
And again, some archaeology evidence for steel and iron, weapons and armor, chariots and coins existing in North America from 600 - 421 A.D as The Book of Mormon claims would be nice.

Did all of these things get swallowed up in an earthquake or something?
Do chariots imply wheels? I am unaware of any pre-Columbian civilization on this side of the pond that had the wheel. Does the Book of Mormon suggest otherwise? Hard to imagine that if a culture had the wheel it would be lost, it is a pretty important basic invention.

Last edited:

Mustard Seed

Jukia said:
Do chariots imply wheels? I am unaware of any pre-Columbian civilization on this side of the pond that had the wheel. Does the Book of Mormon suggest otherwise? Hard to imagine that if a culture had the wheel it would be lost, it is a pretty important basic invention.

Why isn't the wheel known to ancient America if the Book of Mormon is true? [top]

"A good answer to this common question has been given by Mike Ash at http://www.mormonfortress.com/wheel1.html. Please read that article. Also see "The Wheel in Ancient America" by Paul R. Cheesman, available at SHIELDS, and also Wheeled Objects in the New World by the non-LDS writer Diane E. Wirth, published in The Ancient American, Vol. 2, No. 12, Feb/Mar 1996.
The Book of Mormon does not say that wheels were had in the Americas, though the word chariot is mentioned. Very little is said about this device, with no indication that it was wheeled. It could have referred to other devices, such as a cloth framework that was dragged, known in Mayan lore, as discussed by Mike Ash.

"The idea that the wheel was completely unknown in the Americas is also not quite correct. Wheeled toys have been found in Mesoamerica, and an ancient potter's wheel, long assumed unknown in the America, has been found in Peru. Other tentative examples are offered in the article by Paul Cheesman above. A drawing of one wheeled Mesoamerican toy and a photo of another are shown on page 59 of John L. Sorenson's book, Images of Ancient America: Visualizing Book of Mormon Life (Provo, Utah: Research Press (1998)).

"But if Nephi and others knew of wheels, how did that technology die out? The loss of technology occurs frequently in history. If the early Nephites did not have a need for wheels in the lifestyle they lived, that technology could easily have fallen into disuse. There are many examples of this kind of thing occurring.

"The failure to find something clearly identifiable as a "chariot" does not mean they did not exist. From the Bible, we know that numerous chariots were used in Old Testament times, yet Sorenson notes that "no fragment of a chariot has ever been uncovered in the Holy Land" (ibid., p. 59).

"Sorenson also notes that the Hebrew roots that are translated as "chariot" in English have dictionary meanings that include "wagon or chariot" as well as "litter, portable couch" or human-borne "sedan" chair (ibid.). In this sense, the term chariot could well refer to the widely used litters in Mesoamerican, wherein elite people would be carried in a plush chair by human servants."​

taken from

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_BMProblems.shtml#wheel

(Supposed)

Book of Mormon Anachronisms

(c) Copyright Michael R. Ash 1999. All rights reserved

Wheel

Verse in Question:

Now the king had commanded his servants, previous to the time of watering the flocks, that they should prepare his horses and chariots, and conduct him forth to the land of Nephi. ...Now when king Lamoni heard that Ammon was preparing his horses and chariots he was more astonished... And it came to pass that when Ammon had made ready the horses and the chariots for the king and his servants, he went in unto the king.... (Alma 18:9, 10, 12.)
...and they had taken their horses, and their chariots, and their cattle, and all their flocks, and their herds. (3 Nephi 3:22.)

Although the wheel is not mentioned, some have suggested that it is implied by the use of the terms “chariots.” For example, one critic has written:
“The chariots would, of course, suggest wheels. This is another gross blunder. The wheel was never used in America before the coming of the Europeans, and was not adopted by the Indians even after they had come into possession of the Spanish horses.... The wheel was never used in making pottery.” (Gordon H. Fraser, What Does the Book of Mormon Teach? [Chicago: Moody Press, 1964], p. 61, quoted in Wirth, 58; italics added.)
Concerning the last part of this critic’s complaint– that the pottery wheel was unknown in ancient America– Diane Wirth explains that “until recently, scholars were of the opinion that the potter’s wheel was not used anywhere in pre-Columbian America. But with a new find of a potter's wheel in the excavations of Pashash, Peru, scholars have reevaluated their views. Rotary tools, drill bits, and a spindle were also found there.” (Wirth, 59.)
What about the more practical wheel? The wheel certainly appeared unknown upon the arrival of the Spaniards. Could the use of the wheel been known anciently? Archaeologists have uncovered several examples of wheeled objects, most of which resembled children's “toys.” Cheesman quotes Dr. Gordon P. Ekholm, a director of the American Museum of Natural History in New York:

“During the winter of 1942, while I was making some excavations in Panuco and in the vicinity of Tampico, I found a certain number of small disks that I suspected of having been the wheels of rolling toys like those found by Dr. Stirling in Tres Zapotes [1940] and in Charnay in Popocatepetl [1880]. In the excavations of Panuco I felt most happy when my helper informed me of the finding of a complete toy with wheels just after having left the place myself and only a few meters from my excavation. This finding, together with other known examples, convinced me that the Mexican Indians, before the conquest, had made small vehicles with wheels in the form of animals and therefore had some knowledge of the principle of the wheel.” (Cheesman [1984], 173.)
Cheesman estimates “that over fifty examples of pre-Columbian wheeled toys ...have been unearthed in Central America” (Ibid.) Many of these wheels were attached to the “toys” in different ways. This would suggest that the early Mesoamericans had some experience with axles and wheels (Wirth, 62). Unfortunately larger vehicles would most likely have been constructed of wood, and wood deteriorates with time. If small toy-like objects, however, had been fitted with wheels, it is impossible to think that the early Americans would not have understood the benefit of the wheel when used with larger items such as carts and chariots. In all cultures, toys are models of larger objects which work on the same principles. One recently discovered wheeled figure, for instance, is that of a man astride a platform with wheels. This figurine “is concrete evidence that the fertile Mesoamerican brains which are acclaimed by scholars for having invented the concept of zero did not miss the point that the wheels on the miniature ‘toys’ could serve to move man if need be”(Sorenson [1983], 4.)
What then could have happened to the concept of the wheel? Why would later generations not use such a useful invention? It is interesting to note that the Mayas of Guatemala still walk today with loads on their backs, even four hundred years after the Europeans exposed them to the wheel. Frances Gibson, who lived among the Maya and studied their ways, found that the Mayas did not wish to use the wheel due to religious beliefs (Wirth, 62). As Sorenson observes, the wheeled figurines have been called “toys” for lack of a better description. Generally, however, these “toys” were not used for children (as is evidenced by minimal wheel wear and their lack of smooth motion) but rather they had religious significance for adults (Sorenson [1983], 3).

Not only did the wheel represent the sun, but the commonly portrayed dog, often carried on wheels, was also a symbol of the sun. With regard to this symbolism, the eminent archaeologist, J. Eric Thompson stated:

“Both the dog and the jaguar are intimately associated with the underworld, the former because he led the sun and the dead to the underworld.”
In both the Old and New Worlds these figures were, more often than not, buried with the dead. The earthen tomb represented the underworld. Dr. Ekholm noted that this similarity appears even oceans apart when he wrote:
“Miniature clay vehicles in the form of animals have been found in Mesopotamia [Old World] and [that] they are remarkably similar to those from Mexico.”
It was believed by the peoples in both the Old and New Worlds that the sun made its transit at night through the underworld. Thus we have the Mesoamerican dog, like the Egyptian dog Anubis, taking the role as a guide for the dead-- giving the deceased a means of transportation through the underworld to the dawn of resurrection when the sun once more rises to the heavens. Thus a complete sacred cycle of death (the underworld) and rebirth (the rising sun) is portrayed in the combined symbol of dog and wheel. (Wirth, 63.)
In Mesoamerican religious concepts, the dog played an important role when connected with the dead. “The dog was supposed to accompany, guide and protect the deceased.... Art and tradition both show evidence of the dog's significance in pre-columbian Mesoamerica” (Sorenson [1983], 4). Likewise the wheel was linked to the Mesoamerican’s belief that the sun died each night when setting and was reborn the following morning. Thus the wheels on a figurine connected it symbolically to the sun, which symbolically died each night and was reborn or resurrected through the Aztec goddess Tlaltecuhtli thereby completing a continuous cycle (Ibid., 6). This same connection between a wheeled dog and the concept of death and rebirth is found in the Old World, and in Old World burials (Ibid., 8-12).
The wheel, then, may have been known to the early Americans, but disappeared from use due to changes in religious beliefs. But, some may ask, how could all trace of the wheel and chariots disappear? Such disappearances are not as unusual as it sounds. According to the Bible, the Philistines in Saul’s time had 30,000 chariots (1 Samuel 13:5). David, it is recorded (2 Samuel 8:4), took 1,000 chariots from Hadadezer, king of Zobah, and then 700 more a little later from the Syrians (2 Samuel 10:18) who in order to recovered by collected 32,000 chariots. Yet with all these chariots mentioned in the Bible as bouncing around not a single fragment of a chariot has ever been uncovered in the Holy Land (see Sorenson [1998], 59).

Normally, our first inclination would be to agree that the term “chariot” suggests wheels. But upon further investigation we must conclude that this is not necessarily so. In Maya battle imagery, for instance, the king rides into battle on a litter or cloth covered framework between two parallel bars. Brant Gardner, who has an M.A. in Anthropology, notes that the Mayan-King battle-litter “is a prominent aspect of the battle, and the capture of the king’s litter is tantamount to the capture of the gods of that king. What made this most interesting is the assertion that a conceptually linked idea was the “battle beast” that is, an animal alter ego which also accompanied the king, and was embodied in the regalia of the king and litter. Thus there were three important elements of this complex which went into battle: king, litter, and battle beast. There is also evidence that the litter complex was used in other ceremonial occasions other than war.” (Gardner; also see Sorenson [1998], 58.) Sorenson notes that “when the Spaniards invaded Guatemala, they reported that the Quiche Indians used ‘military machines’ consisting of wooden platforms mounted on ‘little rollers’ to haul weapons around one battlefield to resupply their soldiers” (Sorenson [1998], 59). Furthermore, as noted by professor John Sorenson:

Because nothing (in the Book of Mormon verses) is said or hinted about mounting, riding or dismounting from a vehicle, we cannot confidently conclude that vehicles were used to carry people, although this may have happened.... It remains a mystery what ‘chariot’ means in these texts.” (Sorenson [1998], 59.)
Turning to the Bible we find that the term “chariot” does not always reflect what we would envision. There are five Hebrew words which translate into the KJV, “chariot.” These Hebrew words are: (1&2) merkabah and appiryown which translates simply as “chariot”; (3) rekeb which has several definitions including: a team, chariot, mill-stone, riders, troop of riders, pair of horseman, men riding, and camel-riders; (4) merkab which is defined as: chariot, place to ride, riding seat, seat of a litter, and saddle. This merkab is translated only once in the KJV as “chariot” (see 1 Kings 4:26), whereas it is also translated as “saddle” (Leviticus 15:29) and as “covering” (Song of Solomon 3:10); (5) hosten (Ezekiel 23:4) which has an uncertain definition of “amour” or “weapons” and comes from an unused root meaning to be strong or sharp. (See Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary for these definitions.)
Likewise, Sorenson notes that “Hebrew roots translated to English as ‘chariot’ include the dictionary meaning of ‘wagon or chariot’ but also ‘litter, portable couch’ or human-borne ‘sedan’ chair (in the Talmud the same expression even meant nuptial bed). (Sorenson [1998], 59).

Therefore, we see that: (1) It is possible that the ancient Americans had used wheeled “chariots” in ancient times but the practice was discontinued; or (2) the Book of Mormon “chariots” refers to a non-wheeled object such a litter as depicted in ancient American art. Either way, the Book of Mormon can hardly be condemned for the same weaknesses which plague the Bible’s use of the term “chariot.”

Michael R. Ash​

taken from

http://www.mormonfortress.com/wheel3.html

If the wheels made were made of wood what's unreasonable with having lost all remnants of such beyond a wheeled toy? Look at the Hun empire, archeology has not recovered a single remnant or indicator of a horse that would date to the time and location of the Hun empire. Are we to then assume the horse didn't really exist among the people who are arguably more tied to the horse than any people in the memory of civilization?

Wood has many other uses and is often not prone to surviving centuries.

Jukia

Mustard Seed: thanks but since at the basis of things, I think that Mormonism is a total crock, well, I really don't care

Mustard Seed

Jukia said:
Mustard Seed: thanks but since at the basis of things, I think that Mormonism is a total crock, well, I really don't care

So regardless the evidence and refutation of claims of implausibility you are not using such as a basis for judgement, prefering the subjective inclinations inherent in humanity, you simply reject it. At least you're honest about the disregard for the facts.

ThePhy

Mustard Seed said:
The Book of Mormon does not say that wheels were had in the Americas, though the word chariot is mentioned. Very little is said about this device, with no indication that it was wheeled. It could have referred to other devices, such as a cloth framework that was dragged, known in Mayan lore, as discussed by Mike Ash.
Translation is not easy, and sometimes the quality of the translated text suffers if the translator is not well suited to the job. But for the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith declared that the translation was revealed to him by the power of God. I can’t think of a translator that should be better qualified to do the job than God.

Why translate? Nominally, it is to move a text from a language not well understood by the intended audience into a language that they do understand. And one of the best measurements of the quality of the translation is whether or not the translator succeeded in choosing the words and phrases that convey the same mental images and ideas in the new language that the original text did in the old.

In the “chariot” example, for well over a century the missionaries and leaders of the Mormon faith were unambiguous in understanding what the divinely inspired word “chariot” meant. There was no need to hint that the Book of Mormon was really speaking of devices that were dragged behind Indian horses (for which words already existed in upstate New York). It has been almost exclusively in the past half-century, as archaeology has been sterile at finding wheels or chariots in America, that Mormons have had to try to soft-shoe around the incompetence of the divine translator, and suggest that the fault is instead with us for expecting that "chariot" means what we universally think of when that word is used.

Mustard Seed

ThePhy said:
Translation is not easy, and sometimes the quality of the translated text suffers if the translator is not well suited to the job. But for the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith declared that the translation was revealed to him by the power of God. I can’t think of a translator that should be better qualified to do the job than God.

The Phy's back!

The above is an interesting play with words. You get the technicalities right. Your implication that God was the translator is wrong. His help was employed, certainly, but it was Joseph Smith, a human who, though he was a prophet, was not perfect and for whom God was likely using the processes and powers given for his capacity to translate to do more than merely get Joseph to translate. Using your logic and extending it further there'd be no need for God to even have Joseph involved at all. If God's sole and ultimate purpose was to have the book translated as perfectly as possible he wouldn't logically have gone through a fallen human to get it there.

So as ThePhy is so expert at he utillizes statements that are verifiably true to try and convey, implicitly, an erroneous depiction. Take two truthfull statements, place them side by side, and hope the logically impaired will come to a conclusion that's far from inherent in connection to the two truths.

Why translate? Nominally, it is to move a text from a language not well understood by the intended audience into a language that they do understand. And one of the best measurements of the quality of the translation is whether or not the translator succeeded in choosing the words and phrases that convey the same mental images and ideas in the new language that the original text did in the old.

In the “chariot” example, for well over a century the missionaries and leaders of the Mormon faith were unambiguous in understanding what the divinely inspired word “chariot” meant. There was no need to hint that the Book of Mormon was really speaking of devices that were dragged behind Indian horses (for which words already existed in upstate New York). It has been almost exclusively in the past half-century, as archaeology has been sterile at finding wheels or chariots in America, that Mormons have had to try to soft-shoe around the incompetence of the divine translator, and suggest that the fault is instead with us for expecting that "chariot" means what we universally think of when that word is used.

The explanation given in the articles and links I provided do not preclude wheeled chariots. In fact at least one of them mentions the existance of wheels on toys and in pottery fabrication. Simply because we haven't found a specific wheel that was used in that time period doesn't mean they didn't exist. If we held that you had to find actual remnants of something for it to have existed then the whole claim of horses in the empire of the Huns would be undone for no archeological remnants of horses have yet to be found in a location and dated to a time congruent with the Hun empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.