Jason Troyer and Jo Scott Expose the Contradiction Between DNA and the Book of Mormon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustard Seed

ThePhy said:
Mustard, it is clear that you are going to use any rabbit trail you can to avoid answering my question. But that’s OK, since that type of evasion carries a pretty clear message by itself.

What is clear is your avoidance of all but your pet hint and run targets. If you cannot get me to go along with it you call it evasion. I simply call it what Christians on this site would classify the following tactic as--

2 And spake unto him, saying, Tell us, by what authority doest thou these things? or who is he that gave thee this authority?
3 And he answered and said unto them, I will also ask you one thing; and answer me:
4 The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men?
5 And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then believed ye him not?
6 But and if we say, Of men; all the people will stone us: for they be persuaded that John was a prophet.
7 And they answered, that they could not tell whence it was.
8 And Jesus said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.

I made the point, and in spite of your obfuscations, the Book of Mormon translation was claimed to be divinely guided, and yet the claim of “chariots” in ancient America is bereft of supporting evidence.

Which I countered that archeology's also bereft of refuting evidence and has found several things (such as toys that employ wheels) that rather call to question any attempt to argue absence through a lack of presently available evidence.

ThePhy

Mustard Seed said:
If you cannot get me to go along with it you call it evasion.
Just asked a simple question. Several posts later you answer is still not forthcoming. Call that way of responding whatever you will.
2 And spake unto him, saying, Tell us …
Why do I get the hint that you are substituting yelling at me and preaching in place of just answering the question? I will admit, you had the self-control this time to avoid a Technicolor response.

But no harm done, I just reduced the font you used down to a normal size and scoured it (in vain) for an answer to my question about how the BoM was translated. From talking to others of your faith, I find a strong reluctance to openly admit that the translation was done via Joseph sticking his face in a felt hat and seeing words appear. But I didn’t dream this up, this is the account uniformly given by friends and family of Joseph Smith himself.
Which I countered that archeology's also bereft of refuting evidence and has found several things (such as toys that employ wheels) that rather call to question any attempt to argue absence through a lack of presently available evidence.
Sure, maybe the next Central American mound that is dug up will have load of gold plates, chariots, maps of BoM lands, elephant remains, variants of the Egyptian Language, bottles of ancient Hebrew DNA, construction plans of ships that can flip upside down, and three 2-thousand year old Nephites standing guard over it all.

Well maybe not the next mound, but the one after that, or even after that one, or the mound that your great-great-great grandson’s son digs into a few centuries from now. Hope springs eternal, never say die.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
MS,

The Book of Mormon claims that there were three somewhat technologically advanced civilizations existing in the Americans before 400 A.D. Shouldn’t we be able to find at least SOME evidence of these people being here? They did have rather large populations, correct?

Are there any prominent non-Mormon archaeologists who believe in the historicity of The Book of Mormon?

Mustard Seed

ThePhy said:
Just asked a simple question. Several posts later you answer is still not forthcoming. Call that way of responding whatever you will. Why do I get the hint that you are substituting yelling at me and preaching in place of just answering the question? I will admit, you had the self-control this time to avoid a Technicolor response.

It's answering a question with the request for a clarification. If the clarification is not forthcoming then the answer shouldn't be either. You do the same thing, only I provide clarification.

But no harm done, I just reduced the font you used down to a normal size and scoured it (in vain) for an answer to my question about how the BoM was translated.

Again, I'm looking for the clarification before giving the answer.

From talking to others of your faith, I find a strong reluctance to openly admit that the translation was done via Joseph sticking his face in a felt hat and seeing words appear. But I didn’t dream this up, this is the account uniformly given by friends and family of Joseph Smith himself.

I'm not reluctant to admit that those are true accounts. But that wasn't what you were asking, you were asking about the classification of something related to such as being dishonest. I've affirmed in the past and affirm now that such relations with the hat are correct.

Sure, maybe the next Central American mound that is dug up will have load of gold plates, chariots, maps of BoM lands, elephant remains, variants of the Egyptian Language, bottles of ancient Hebrew DNA, construction plans of ships that can flip upside down, and three 2-thousand year old Nephites standing guard over it all.

Bottles of ancient Hebrew DNA, not so much.

Well maybe not the next mound, but the one after that, or even after that one, or the mound that your great-great-great grandson’s son digs into a few centuries from now. Hope springs eternal, never say die.

ThePhy tomarrow they might discover a means of interdimensional communication via gravitons, affirm the existance of sparticles, and validate a grand swath of things predicted by Superstring theory, or it might be the day after or the year after or the decade after or a few centuries. Hope springs eternal... for Theoretical Physicists, or maybe for their students, or their student's student's student's student.

Mustard Seed

Shimei said:
MS,

The Book of Mormon claims that there were three somewhat technologically advanced civilizations existing in the Americans before 400 A.D. Shouldn’t we be able to find at least SOME evidence of these people being here? They did have rather large populations, correct?

Ever hear of the Olmec, Aztec, Maya, Anasazi, the city of Tenochtitlan, Copan, Cuzco, Aztlán, to name a few? Ever study about pre-classical Maya? Can you classify any of these as NOT qualifying as having significant populations or technological advancement?

Are there any prominent non-Mormon archaeologists who believe in the historicity of The Book of Mormon?

Double check that phrase and see how much sense it makes. Are there any historians that believe the Bible is through and through bona fide history that are NOT members of the Judeo-Christian tradition? How much sense does it make to ask if someone believes something to be a true account of history AND have said item be the foundation of a faith, and have that person NOT be a member of that faith??? Imagine a person claiming to be a historian coming to you and saying "Yeah that whole crossing the red sea thing is historical and I believe Christ rising again to be certifiable historic fact... but I'm not a Christian."

Don't know 'bout you but I'd question every word that any such person would utter along with questioning their wholeness of mind.

I can tell you of a person who spent their life studying Christian History, Philosophy, and Theology, received Ph.D's in each respective field and taught as a prophesor at a German theological school, then joined our faith after the missionaries knocked on her door. But you only hype scholastic credentials when they don't fight your world view.

ThePhy

Mustard Seed said:
I've affirmed in the past and affirm now that such relations with the hat are correct.
This is pretty close to the answer I had asked for. My original point in responding in this thread was to establish that the coming forth of the BoM was not by the normal error-prone methods of traditional translation. Staring into the darkness of a thick felt hat as a means of translation sounds like either a highly divine event, or some sort of hucksterism that uneducated country folk might fall for. I’m sure you opt for the former interpretation of the events. So, the BoM was (at least in LDS history) brought from whatever language it first existed in into English by very direct divine involvement. Which brings us full circle, why call sleds or drag poles “chariots” when the word “chariot” is typically thought of as a wheeled vehicle?

I don’t want this to devolve into another “Mormonism” thread, but hey, Jason and Jo opened this bag of worms on Bob’s show. My question, now that you directly admit to the felt hat trick, is what did Joseph even need the golden plates for (assuming they did exist)? I haven’t seen any independent contemporary account (like exists for the hat) that he studied them as part of the translation process.
ThePhy tomarrow they might discover a means of interdimensional communication via gravitons, affirm the existance of sparticles, and validate a grand swath of things predicted by Superstring theory, or it might be the day after or the year after or the decade after or a few centuries.
Hey, I hope science advances, but I am not claiming that there are specific itemized surprises lurking in the parts of science that are already well investigated (like the artifacts spoken of in the BoM that are absent in American archaeology). Do you have faith the supporting archaeological evidences will be found, or are you hoping against hope just to avoid facing the uncomfortable alternative - that they don't exist?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mustard Seed said:
Ever hear of the Olmec, Aztec, Maya, Anasazi, the city of Tenochtitlan, Copan, Cuzco, Aztlán, to name a few? Ever study about pre-classical Maya? Can you classify any of these as NOT qualifying as having significant populations or technological advancement?

Double check that phrase and see how much sense it makes. Are there any historians that believe the Bible is through and through bona fide history that are NOT members of the Judeo-Christian tradition? How much sense does it make to ask if someone believes something to be a true account of history AND have said item be the foundation of a faith, and have that person NOT be a member of that faith??? Imagine a person claiming to be a historian coming to you and saying "Yeah that whole crossing the red sea thing is historical and I believe Christ rising again to be certifiable historic fact... but I'm not a Christian."

Don't know 'bout you but I'd question every word that any such person would utter along with questioning their wholeness of mind.

I can tell you of a person who spent their life studying Christian History, Philosophy, and Theology, received Ph.D's in each respective field and taught as a prophesor at a German theological school, then joined our faith after the missionaries knocked on her door. But you only hype scholastic credentials when they don't fight your world view.

Can you answer simple questions with obfuscating?

Also, pretend I am an atheist. I am not interested in debating the Bible with you; I am interested in debating the Book of Mormon. I am looking for actual evidence, not speculation and blind faith.

Mustard Seed

ThePhy said:
This is pretty close to the answer I had asked for. My original point in responding in this thread was to establish that the coming forth of the BoM was not by the normal error-prone methods of traditional translation. Staring into the darkness of a thick felt hat as a means of translation sounds like either a highly divine event, or some sort of hucksterism that uneducated country folk might fall for. I’m sure you opt for the former interpretation of the events. So, the BoM was (at least in LDS history) brought from whatever language it first existed in into English by very direct divine involvement. Which brings us full circle, why call sleds or drag poles “chariots” when the word “chariot” is typically thought of as a wheeled vehicle?

I'm still not seeing how you think the whole of the process was utterly void of error simply because God's power was involved in the transmission, it's an assumption that God was both correcting the original text being translated and that he was forcibly insuring the use of the most accurate possible words, it also fails to take into account the fact that God has OFTEN used his dirrect intervention WITHOUT making every action of those employing such to be correct, or right, or in perfect accordance with his will. There's an implicit difficulty or effort in the concept of 'keep trying' processes. Like teaching a child to read correctly. There may come points when words are mispronounced, misread, or read out of place, but generally we only make the child repeat such untill they reach a level of satisfactory accuracy RATHER than waiting untill their proficiency arrives at that of a tenured college English professor. So being unable to know whether God's aid was compensating for all errors commited on the original writters end or if he was waiting untill the rendition arrived at a God written equivilancy level and considering that there was copying from the original manuscript to the printers manuscript for a good portion of it, a process void of evidence of God openly stoping errors by witholding advancement untill a level of sufficient accuracy has been reached, it's by no means a surefire assumption that the seerstone felt hat methood insured that the text was the same as if the relation had simply been written by God in modern day English and dropped on the table one morning in Joseph's cabin in a format readable by any literate Englishman.

I don’t want this to devolve into another “Mormonism” thread, but hey, Jason and Jo opened this bag of worms on Bob’s show. My question, now that you directly admit to the felt hat trick, is what did Joseph even need the golden plates for (assuming they did exist)?

In terms of raw translation need I wouldn't know the difinative answer to that. It seems the plates were needed for the witnesses to see, the eight and the three and the one (twelve official witnesses)

I haven’t seen any independent contemporary account (like exists for the hat) that he studied them as part of the translation process.

Well seeing the script as it appears on the plates and then in english sounds very similar to the format of language study I've employed in all four of the languages I've ventured into. Generally it seems the best way to learn a language. If simply the translated English text was all that was needed why would God give the script in Reformed Egyptian THEN give the English if the the English was the only thing he really wanted out of it?

Hey, I hope science advances, but I am not claiming that there are specific itemized surprises lurking in the parts of science that are already well investigated (like the artifacts spoken of in the BoM that are absent in American archaeology). Do you have faith the supporting archaeological evidences will be found, or are you hoping against hope just to avoid facing the uncomfortable alternative - that they don't exist?

I'm sure alot of them have moved on to a state unrecognizable to current investigative means. I wouldn't be supprized to see some revealed in the future. I don't think any such revelation of evidence to the whole world would occur previous to the second coming of Christ. So I don't personally see the evidence as being used to show to the unbelieving to change their ways. Certainly God could do it, but God, being omniscient, has stated to prophets that even if the people saw all the Joseph Smith received they wouldn't believe his words. Why would an omniscient God spitefully condemn people with all that added evidence if he knew before hand that it never had a chance of changing their mind?

Mustard Seed

Shimei said:
Can you answer simple questions with obfuscating?

If you were giving simple and intelligent questions then I wouldn't have to go to lengths to point out the inanity of their assumptions. If my verbage looks like obfuscating legalese it's because that's what is wanted. Whenever I assume that people will see words the way I see them they twist them and I'm forever left having to dwell upon correcting their view of what I've said. This way if they don't understand what I've said it will be because they don't put enough effort into it to understand what I'm saying. Thus demonstrating that they really don't want an answer. This 'wordy' way of speaking is the best way I've yet found for preventing the need to repeat or re-explain myself. Certainly doesn't irradicate the need. But it allows me to readilly see if the person I'm engaging really wants an answer and if their willing to put the mental effort into trying to understand a precise answer.

Also, pretend I am an atheist. I am not interested in debating the Bible with you; I am interested in debating the Book of Mormon. I am looking for actual evidence, not speculation and blind faith.

You do the same for your faith and I'll do it for mine. Then we can compare our atheist approaches and compare and contrast. If you'll do this then I'll also do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.