Jacob Changed To James By Catholics

CherubRam

In the days of King James II the European bible was in Latin, and only the priest were allowed to have a bible.

The Vatican is of the belief that they have the right to change the wording of scriptures.
It was against Vatican law in those days for the public to be in possession of bible scriptures, or historical writings.

Since the name James is not in the most ancient of bible text, although it is given as a interpretation; that would mean that it was the Vatican who made the change during the days of King James II, AKA James the Just.

The use of James occurs in the Wyclifite version written around 1382.

Luther’s German Bible only has Jakob throughout it.
The Luther Bible is a German Bible translation by Martin Luther, first printed with both testaments in 1534.

Because Luther's German bible does not have the name James in it, but the Wyclifte bible does, that means that just prior to the printing of the Wyclifite version, the Latin bible was changed.

James or Jacob

The “James” or “Jacob” question.
The name “James” seems to have been around from the time of Tyndale and Wycliffe. In the New and Old Testament: German “Jakob” OT, and “Jakobus” NT; the Vulgate, “Iacob” OT, “Iacobus” NT. The French Bible Jerusalem identifies the OT figure as “Jacob,” while the NT figure is “Jacques.” And of course, the New Testament and the Septuagint apply the name Ιακωβ to the patriarch, but Ιακωβος (the declinable form) to all the companions of Jesus [Yahshua] who go by this name.

The “Christian name” James or the “Jewish name” Jacob.

It is said that the name James is derived from the same Hebrew name as Jacob. James, meaning: He who "supplants." Jacob: He who "grasp heel."

The name James came into English language from the French variation of the late Latin name, Iacomus; a dialect variant of Iacobus, from the New Testament Greek Ἰάκωβος (Iákōbos), a variant form from Hebrew name יעקב (Yaʻaqov) Jacob.

The modern name James did not exist during the days of Yahshua.

King James, the Just?

In regards to speaking about King James II of Aragon being called "James the Just."

Link: James II of Aragon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_II_of_Aragon

The name James entered the scriptures in place of Jacob about the time of King James II.
The 1611 KJV and that King James only continued to use James in place of Jacob.
King James II (10 August 1267 – 2 November or 5 November 1327).
King James is also called King James the Just. Aragonese: Chaime lo Chusto, Catalan: Jaume el Just, Spanish: Jaime el Justo.

Saint Jacob. ( In Hebrew: יעקב) Jacob , (died AD 62).
Saint James the Just.

He was known as Jacob the Just in 350 AD in the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas 12
Quote: The Disciples said to Jesus, "We are aware that you will depart from us. Who will be our leader?" Jesus said to them, "No matter where you come it is to [James / Jacob] the Just that you shall go, for whose sake heaven and earth have come to exist."

The Gospel of Thomas is dated at around 340 AD. The First Apocalypse of James is also called the Revelation of Jacob, because the original text has the name Jacob, but is given the interpretation James. The actual name used is Jacob, but translators keep giving the name Jacob the interpretation "James."

The name James entered scriptures about the same time as King James was being called James the Just, which also was said of Jacob in the Gnostic writings. Translators for whatever the reason keep giving Jacob the name James, even though it does not appear in the most ancient text. It would be logical to conclude that the reason was to honor King James II, by adding his name to scriptures. You would think that the translators would have more respect for the bible then that. The Hellenist and Kabbalist were also involved in corrupting scriptures, usually in matters of the Messiah Yahshua.

In order for the name James to appear in the Strong's and NIV Exhaustive concordances, they would have to be basing the scriptures upon late translations, and not the earliest of text.
Every mention of the Patriarch Jacob, for example, is translated as Jacob, not James – yet it’s the same Greek word. And more significantly, according to Matthew 1.16, Joseph’s father – Jesus’ adoptive grandfather – was called Iakob. And in English Bibles you will find that he is called Jacob, not James.

Here’s the NRSV:
‘Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born’ (Matt 1.16)

Yet, when the same name – Jacob – is used for Jesus’ brother in Matthew 13.55, it’s translated as James:
‘Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?’ (Matt 13.55)

Let’s be quite clear: it’s the same word – Iakob. And yet it’s translated two different ways. Joseph clearly named his son in honour of his own father. And yet in every English translation, the translators call one Jacob, and the other James.

The name James wasn’t even invented until about the twelvth century – it’s an English version of the Spanish name Jaime.

Here is the word Jacob: ϊακωβ [Iakob]. It is not the word Iakobos which is translated as James. We are talking about Matthew 4:21. The word is [Iakob] there, and not Iakobos which is translated as James.

Note: Did you know that Judah appears in the NT over 40 times, yet is only translated once in the KJV correctly as Judah? So it's not about the Greek name it's about a selective translation.

In my opinion it is wrong to deliberately alter scriptures. When scholars do that it makes the scriptures look as if they are a falsehood. The name James is not the only change that has been made to scriptures. People have to conspire to make those changes.

con•spire/kənˈspī(ə)r/Verb
1. Make secret plans jointly to commit an unlawful or harmful act.
2. (of events or circumstances) Seem to be working together to bring about a particular result, typically to someone's detriment.

In a image capture of Matthew 4:21 from the Codex Sinaiticus, the name Jacob is given the interpretation James. That is your proof.

In a image capture of Mark 5:37 from the Codex Sinaiticus, the ΟΝ ending that follows the first instance is the accusative ending, and the ΟΥ ending of the second is the genitive.

Ιάκωβον = Jacob as a direct object in a sentence.
Ιακώβου = Jacob as a possessive noun.

Γιγνωσκω τον Ιάκωβον. = I know Jacob.
Γιγνωσκω τον του Ιακώβου αδελφον. = I know Jacob's brother.

And Mark 13:3 it is: ϊακωβοϲ. And in Mark 15:40 it is: ϊακωβου. And in Luke 9:28 it is: ϊακωβον. And in Galatains 1:19 it is: ϊακωβο.

Studying this further, I find that the last two letters after Jacob are words not being translated. See the scriptures for all program: Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

It literally is Jacob, and it is not being translated that way.

Greek is an inflectional language. This means that meaning is often conveyed in prefixes and suffixes, whereas in English we convey the same meaning with prepositions, word order and sometimes suffixes (not normally prefixes, though adverbial modifiers can often be prefixed [such as un- and under- and re-]).

Greek nouns and adjectives have endings that fall into three major groups, called "declensions". These declensions have five functional sets of endings determined by the function of the word in a sentence. The meaning is indicated in the last letter or two of the word. This is consistent for Greek nouns and adjectives.

Foreign words translated into Greek do not normally receive these endings. That's the case with the Hebrew names Ἀβραάμ (Abraham), Ἰσαάκ (Isaac), Ἰάκωβ (Jacob), among many others (if you check the translation of the LXX from Hebrew into Greek, you'll find so many of them!).

At some point in the Hellenization of Israel, certain traditionally Hebrew names (such as Jacob) took on case endings, which is a result of their converting the names into Greek. Instead of using the traditional form of the name Ἰάκωβ, we find case endings, such as Ἰάκωβος. It's a Greek version of the name, allowing it to function in all ways like Greek names.

Thus, there are two forms of the name:
1) the more ancient form, transliterated directly from Hebrew, not using any case endings -- used for the Patriarch Jacob.
2) the more Greek form, operating with case endings -- used for contemporaries of the Hellenists.

And so the bottom line is this, the name Jacob should have been translated as such.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
Translation of all the above jazz-bible correcting, not believing, and humanism, as this drone attributes the authorship, and subsequent preservation, of the scriptures, to man, not God.

Bible believer: I believe every word of the book. If I do not understand a word, I go back and study more. The bible corrects me; I am not to correct it.

"James" is correct.

vs.

Bible corrector/agnostic/mystic-you: I do not understand how "James" can be correct.What I do not understand, I will not believe(That is how atheists dismiss the concept of "hell"). And thus, I will correct the scriptures, if it does not agree with my understanding/interpretation. I am my own final authority. Correcting any bible, presupposes an authority over it.

Contrasts.

Thanks for checking in, and providing a glimpse, of what goes on all over the globe-correcting God/"god."

S-word

BANNED
Banned
Jacob or James, same person, the son of Alpheaus who is also called Cleophas, the second husband of Mary the Mother of Jesus.

Paul states the he is the brother of Jesus, born of the same womb.

From the book Jesus the evidence, by Ian Wilson: "Of the fate of James, we learn from Josephus, Eusebius, and Hegesippus that after leading a life of great piety, worshipping daily in the Temple, and winning great respect from the ordinary people, in 62 AD he was murdere at the instigation of one of the same Sadducee sect responsible for the death of Stephen, and of his brother Jesus. He was subsequently succeeded by Simeon of Cleophas, and by 13 other bishops of Jerusalem until the line was extinguished during the second Jewish revolt of 132 AD. Like James and Simeon, several other bishops of the circumcision appear to have been blood relations of Jesus, indicating that in the case of the Zealots, leadership of Jesus church was originally on dynastic or family business lines.

daqq

In the days of King James II the European bible was in Latin, and only the priest were allowed to have a bible.

The Vatican is of the belief that they have the right to change the wording of scriptures.
It was against Vatican law in those days for the public to be in possession of bible scriptures, or historical writings.

Since the name James is not in the most ancient of bible text, although it is given as a interpretation; that would mean that it was the Vatican who made the change during the days of King James II, AKA James the Just.

The use of James occurs in the Wyclifite version written around 1382.

Luther’s German Bible only has Jakob throughout it.
The Luther Bible is a German Bible translation by Martin Luther, first printed with both testaments in 1534.

Because Luther's German bible does not have the name James in it, but the Wyclifte bible does, that means that just prior to the printing of the Wyclifite version, the Latin bible was changed.

James or Jacob

The “James” or “Jacob” question.
The name “James” seems to have been around from the time of Tyndale and Wycliffe. In the New and Old Testament: German “Jakob” OT, and “Jakobus” NT; the Vulgate, “Iacob” OT, “Iacobus” NT. The French Bible Jerusalem identifies the OT figure as “Jacob,” while the NT figure is “Jacques.” And of course, the New Testament and the Septuagint apply the name Ιακωβ to the patriarch, but Ιακωβος (the declinable form) to all the companions of Jesus [Yahshua] who go by this name.

The “Christian name” James or the “Jewish name” Jacob.

It is said that the name James is derived from the same Hebrew name as Jacob. James, meaning: He who "supplants." Jacob: He who "grasp heel."

The name James came into English language from the French variation of the late Latin name, Iacomus; a dialect variant of Iacobus, from the New Testament Greek Ἰάκωβος (Iákōbos), a variant form from Hebrew name יעקב (Yaʻaqov) Jacob.

The modern name James did not exist during the days of Yahshua.

King James, the Just? In regards to speaking about King James II being called "James the Just." Link: James II of Aragon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The name James entered the scriptures in place of Jacob about the time of King James II.
The 1611 KJV and that King James only continued to use James in place of Jacob.
King James II (10 August 1267 – 2 November or 5 November 1327).
King James is also called King James the Just. Aragonese: Chaime lo Chusto, Catalan: Jaume el Just, Spanish: Jaime el Justo.

Saint Jacob. ( In Hebrew: יעקב) Jacob , (died AD 62).
Saint James the Just.

He was known as Jacob the Just in 350 AD in the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas 12
Quote: The Disciples said to Jesus, "We are aware that you will depart from us. Who will be our leader?" Jesus said to them, "No matter where you come it is to [James / Jacob] the Just that you shall go, for whose sake heaven and earth have come to exist."

The Gospel of Thomas is dated at around 340 AD. The First Apocalypse of James is also called the Revelation of Jacob, because the original text has the name Jacob, but is given the interpretation James. The actual name used is Jacob, but translators keep giving the name Jacob the interpretation "James."

The name James entered scriptures about the same time as King James was being called James the Just, which also was said of Jacob in the Gnostic writings. Translators for whatever the reason keep giving Jacob the name James, even though it does not appear in the most ancient text. It would be logical to conclude that the reason was to honor King James II, by adding his name to scriptures. You would think that the translators would have more respect for the bible then that. The Hellenist and Kabbalist were also involved in corrupting scriptures, usually in matters of the Messiah Yahshua.

In order for the name James to appear in the Strong's and NIV Exhaustive concordances, they would have to be basing the scriptures upon late translations, and not the earliest of text.
Every mention of the Patriarch Jacob, for example, is translated as Jacob, not James – yet it’s the same Greek word. And more significantly, according to Matthew 1.16, Joseph’s father – Jesus’ adoptive grandfather – was called Iakob. And in English Bibles you will find that he is called Jacob, not James.

Here’s the NRSV:
‘Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born’ (Matt 1.16)

Yet, when the same name – Jacob – is used for Jesus’ brother in Matthew 13.55, it’s translated as James:
‘Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?’ (Matt 13.55)

Let’s be quite clear: it’s the same word – Iakob. And yet it’s translated two different ways. Joseph clearly named his son in honour of his own father. And yet in every English translation, the translators call one Jacob, and the other James.

The name James wasn’t even invented until about the twelvth century – it’s an English version of the Spanish name Jaime.

Here is the word Jacob: ϊακωβ [Iakob]. It is not the word Iakobos which is translated as James. We are talking about Matthew 4:21. The word is [Iakob] there, and not Iakobos which is translated as James.

Note: Did you know that Judah appears in the NT over 40 times, yet is only translated once in the KJV correctly as Judah? So it's not about the Greek name it's about a selective translation.

In my opinion it is wrong to deliberately alter scriptures. When scholars do that it makes the scriptures look as if they are a falsehood. The name James is not the only change that has been made to scriptures. People have to conspire to make those changes.

con•spire/kənˈspī(ə)r/Verb
1. Make secret plans jointly to commit an unlawful or harmful act.
2. (of events or circumstances) Seem to be working together to bring about a particular result, typically to someone's detriment.

In a image capture of Matthew 4:21 from the Codex Sinaiticus, the name Jacob is given the interpretation James. That is your proof.

In a image capture of Mark 5:37 from the Codex Sinaiticus, the ΟΝ ending that follows the first instance is the accusative ending, and the ΟΥ ending of the second is the genitive.

Ιάκωβον = Jacob as a direct object in a sentence.
Ιακώβου = Jacob as a possessive noun.

Γιγνωσκω τον Ιάκωβον. = I know Jacob.
Γιγνωσκω τον του Ιακώβου αδελφον. = I know Jacob's brother.

And Mark 13:3 it is: ϊακωβοϲ. And in Mark 15:40 it is: ϊακωβου. And in Luke 9:28 it is: ϊακωβον. And in Galatains 1:19 it is: ϊακωβο.

Studying this further, I find that the last two letters after Jacob are words not being translated. See the scriptures for all program: Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

It literally is Jacob, and it is not being translated that way.

Greek is an inflectional language. This means that meaning is often conveyed in prefixes and suffixes, whereas in English we convey the same meaning with prepositions, word order and sometimes suffixes (not normally prefixes, though adverbial modifiers can often be prefixed [such as un- and under- and re-]).

Greek nouns and adjectives have endings that fall into three major groups, called "declensions". These declensions have five functional sets of endings determined by the function of the word in a sentence. The meaning is indicated in the last letter or two of the word. This is consistent for Greek nouns and adjectives.

Foreign words translated into Greek do not normally receive these endings. That's the case with the Hebrew names Ἀβραάμ (Abraham), Ἰσαάκ (Isaac), Ἰάκωβ (Jacob), among many others (if you check the translation of the LXX from Hebrew into Greek, you'll find so many of them!).

At some point in the Hellenization of Israel, certain traditionally Hebrew names (such as Jacob) took on case endings, which is a result of their converting the names into Greek. Instead of using the traditional form of the name Ἰάκωβ, we find case endings, such as Ἰάκωβος. It's a Greek version of the name, allowing it to function in all ways like Greek names.

Thus, there are two forms of the name:
1) the more ancient form, transliterated directly from Hebrew, not using any case endings -- used for the Patriarch Jacob.
2) the more Greek form, operating with case endings -- used for contemporaries of the Hellenists.

And so the bottom line is this, the name Jacob should have been translated as such.

The same problem arises with the so-called Nomina Sacra and is how one may know that the case endings are not original, (concerning the Nomina Sacra). You would think that people who love the Word, and especially the so-called scholars, would desire to get to the bottom of such things so as to know the truth; for in the case which I mention, this comes down to the very name of the one they all call "Jesus", (lol), but even as "john w" reveals in his buffoonerous remarks above: he worships "Ye good ole king James English" instead of searching the truth from the original writings; and therefore "James" is absolutely correct in the machinations of his KJV-subservient mind, (lol). What he is really saying is, "Hey! do not even attempt to correct my perfect KJV Bible!", ("cuz then I might be forced to do my own research, and that is considered 'work', and according to my gospel I will fall from grace", (lol)). :)

S-word

BANNED
Banned
The Roman church of Emperor Constantine, their fist Pope, is guilty of Corrupting the word of the Lord, especially in twisting the scriptures in order to make it appear that Jesus was born of some supposed virgin birth.

CherubRam

The Roman church of Emperor Constantine, their fist Pope, is guilty of Corrupting the word of the Lord, especially in twisting the scriptures in order to make it appear that Jesus was born of some supposed virgin birth.
There is no doubt that Mary was a virgin. What they did is change the word maiden to virgin.

CherubRam

Translation of all the above jazz-bible correcting, not believing, and humanism, as this drone attributes the authorship, and subsequent preservation, of the scriptures, to man, not God.

Bible believer: I believe every word of the book. If I do not understand a word, I go back and study more. The bible corrects me; I am not to correct it.

"James" is correct.

vs.

Bible corrector/agnostic/mystic-you: I do not understand how "James" can be correct.What I do not understand, I will not believe(That is how atheists dismiss the concept of "hell"). And thus, I will correct the scriptures, if it does not agree with my understanding/interpretation. I am my own final authority. Correcting any bible, presupposes an authority over it.

Contrasts.

Thanks for checking in, and providing a glimpse, of what goes on all over the globe-correcting God/"god."

Wake up. The bible is translated by men. And they do not always do a good job.

CherubRam

The same problem arises with the so-called Nomina Sacra and is how one may know that the case endings are not original, (concerning the Nomina Sacra). You would think that people who love the Word, and especially the so-called scholars, would desire to get to the bottom of such things so as to know the truth; for in the case which I mention, this comes down to the very name of the one they all call "Jesus", (lol), but even as "john w" reveals in his buffoonerous remarks above: he worships "Ye good ole king James English" instead of searching the truth from the original writings; and therefore "James" is absolutely correct in the machinations of his KJV-subservient mind, (lol). What he is really saying is, "Hey! do not even attempt to correct my perfect KJV Bible!", ("cuz then I might be forced to do my own research, and that is considered 'work', and according to my gospel I will fall from grace", (lol)). :)

John is from another planet I think.

john w

Hall of Fame

Wake up. The bible is translated by men. And they do not always do a good job.

Stumped me with that wake up...

1. Chapter, verse, where a translation cannot be "is given by inspiration."

I will wait, for an eternity.

Luke 23:38 KJV And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, This Is The King Of The Jews.

At least 2 translations above.

You: Well, uh, urr,....

2. You are an admitted humanist, attributing the preservation of the scriptures to men, not the LORD God. And even the non existing "originals", by that "argument," secular humanist "reasoning," were of men. Get it? The scribes-men.

You can't be this stupid.

3. Where has the sure, pure, true sound, is given by inspiration scripture ever existed on earth? Identify it. Where can we get a copy, now?

Acts 8 KJV

27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began [U]at the same scripture,[/U] and preached unto him Jesus.

Was this "scripture" the eunuch had? Or was it a bible translated by men? Prove it was "scripture," written directly by the LORD God.

Take a seat-you are another moron, who just read this "The bible is translated by men" on a website-that is your "waking up."

You won't touch this post-I will pick you apart.

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Conspiracy[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Here is some scripture to think about.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Psalm 64:2
Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked, from the plots of evildoers.

Isaiah 8:12
“Do not call conspiracy everything this people calls a conspiracy; do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it.

Jeremiah 11:9
Then the LORD said to me, “There is a conspiracy among the people of Judah and those who live in Jerusalem.

Ezekiel 22:25
There is a conspiracy of her princes within her like a roaring lion tearing its prey; they devour people, take treasures and precious things and make many widows within her.

Jeremiah 8:8
“‘How can you say, “We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD,” when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?

2 Thessalonians 2:2
not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come.

Matthew 27:52
and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Revelation 22:18
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. [/FONT]

jsanford108

Your first few paragraphs have no evidence to support them. In fact, they are in direct opposition of historical evidence and fact.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

jsanford108

Constantine wasn't the first pope. Basic misunderstanding or misrepresentation of evidence.

jsanford108

Jacob or James, same person, the son of Alpheaus who is also called Cleophas, the second husband of Mary the Mother of Jesus.

Paul states the he is the brother of Jesus, born of the same womb.

From the book Jesus the evidence, by Ian Wilson: "Of the fate of James, we learn from Josephus, Eusebius, and Hegesippus that after leading a life of great piety, worshipping daily in the Temple, and winning great respect from the ordinary people, in 62 AD he was murdere at the instigation of one of the same Sadducee sect responsible for the death of Stephen, and of his brother Jesus. He was subsequently succeeded by Simeon of Cleophas, and by 13 other bishops of Jerusalem until the line was extinguished during the second Jewish revolt of 132 AD. Like James and Simeon, several other bishops of the circumcision appear to have been blood relations of Jesus, indicating that in the case of the Zealots, leadership of Jesus church was originally on dynastic or family business lines.

Cleophas was never married to Mary. Nor was Mary ever remarried. Various sources of genealogy contradict your claim.

jsanford108

Bible Possession Once Banned by the Catholic Church! http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/banned.htm

This is blatantly false. The banned bible that is mentioned is in truth a translation by various heretics. At this time, various sects were creating versions which altered words and passages to fit within their own ideas and doctrines, (much like Luther leaving out James because that very book destroyed Luther's doctrines). One such example is the Gnostic Bible.

I do not blame you for this misunderstanding. False information has led to this being a common misconception.

CherubRam

This is blatantly false. The banned bible that is mentioned is in truth a translation by various heretics. At this time, various sects were creating versions which altered words and passages to fit within their own ideas and doctrines, (much like Luther leaving out James because that very book destroyed Luther's doctrines). One such example is the Gnostic Bible.

I do not blame you for this misunderstanding. False information has led to this being a common misconception.

Gnostic writings and the bible were banned from the public.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
View attachment 25394

View attachment 25395