It sings a song of pain and death.

Crow

Knight said:
Maybe you should try changing your username to "I love reps", and then you could make your avatar a picture of a giant GREEN rep block and finally make signature a plead for rep points. :mrt:

:darwinsm:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PureX
Well, you can call it whatever you want, but whatever it was, it left the trainees feeling exhausted, humiliated, frightened and angry all at the same time.
But this doesn't constitute abuse.

Abusers never think that what they're doing should be called "abuse". They never think they're abusing anyone.
Yes they do. That's why they go to such lengths to hide it.

But using violence and humiliation against other people is called abuse.
I see. You're wrong. Using violence and humiliation unjustly is called abuse. If it is used justly, then it is either punishment or training.

That is why kids that are properly spanked are happy, respectful, and well adjusted.

It doesn't have anything to do with "spanking".
Well that's good. But you send conflicting signals when you say that any violence and humiliation is abuse. Spanking is both violent and humiliating.

So your friend was abused at home, but not spanked? And if he had been spanked only, then you would also say he was not abused, right?

Also, I'm still curious; what kind of negative feed back do you think is okay for it to be considered training and not abuse?

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now be a good soldier and give me 50 pushups please... if it wouldn't hurt your feelings.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Shimei said:
Did anyone catch this last night on Fox News?

"What is going on when a five-year-old girl throwing a tantrum at school has to be handcuffed and led away by no less than three police officers?! "

They showed some video of the five year old misbehaving. It was pretty funny and sad at the same time.

I thought it was pathetic, personally :(

That little girl had no self control and the "adult in charge" was at her mercy.

One Eyed Jack

granite1010 said:
My mother used a wooden-handled hair brush. That thing KILLED.

Plastic hairbrushes hurt pretty bad too, if you get conked a good one on top of the head. Of course it didn't kill me, but I was pretty disoriented for the rest of the day -- so much so that I was sent home from school.

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One Eyed Jack said:
Plastic hairbrushes hurt pretty bad too, if you get conked a good one on top of the head. Of course it didn't kill me, but I was pretty disoriented for the rest of the day -- so much so that I was sent home from school.
Ok I'm pretty sure we can all agree that getting conked on the head is over the line.

PureX

Shimei said:
I think the story points out how complex things have become these days. The teacher was not allowed to discipline the child because of the fear of law suits, and because some teachers in the past have abused their "right" to use physical violence as a method of discipline. The police used the minimum of force that they have available to them, but they're not really suited for dealing with small children who act out in this way. They did the best they could under the circumstances. The parent was probably at work, as most parents now days have to work, and as most of us now commute longer distances to work, too, couldn't be there quickly. So the bottom line is that we have no immediate resource to call on when a child has such a problem at school.

The world becomes more and more complex. And the knee-jerk reaction is often to over-simplify our perception of reality to make it easy for us to understand and deal with, again. Sometimes that works, but often it does not. Ignoring the complex specifics of a given situation doesn't make them go away. It just makes us less effectual in dealing with them even if it allows us to pretend we were effective.

Hopefully the child in that story will eventually get the help she needs - be it a spanking, or psychological help, or even medication. The bottom line, though, is that we don't know what she needs, and neither did the teacher or the police at the time, so they did the best they could under the circumstances.

I don't think that's anything for them to be ashamed of. And I don't think that's anything for anyone else to be ashamed of, either. We have to do what we can with the condition that we find ourselves in.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
And now handcuffing a 5 year old isn't abuse but spanking is.

The only help that little girl needs is to "apply the board of education to the seat of understanding".

PureX

Nineveh said:
And now handcuffing a 5 year old isn't abuse but spanking is.

The only help that little girl needs is to "apply the board of education to the seat of understanding".
I think it's really odd that you would be so in favor of using physical violence on a child, rather than the "scared strait" method of having the police put hand cufs on her and "arrest" her. Seems to me that if there's a non-violent way of teaching her that there are consequences for her misbehavior, that would be all the better, woudn't it?

JoyfulRook

Shimei said:

"What is going on when a five-year-old girl throwing a tantrum at school has to be handcuffed and led away by no less than three police officers?! "

They showed some video of the five year old misbehaving. It was pretty funny and sad at the same time.
I saw that. What a brat. A couple spankings would have solved that. The police have better thing to do (like pulling over dads who are late for their child's soccer game and are 15 miles over the speed limit :rolleyes: ) than to handcuff a 5 year old. Very pathetic. :nono:

JoyfulRook

PureX said:
Hopefully the child in that story will eventually get the help she needs.... even medication.
Yeah that'll solve the problem. Put her on some ritalin and some psychotropic dope.

I don't think that's anything for them to be ashamed of. And I don't think that's anything for anyone else to be ashamed of, either. We have to do what we can with the condition that we find ourselves in.

The Parents should be ashamed for at least three reasons:
1. They're kid is a brat and they obviously haven't been very good parents.
2. They're kid was arrested at 5 years old.
3. There was a video tape of it that was shown on Fox News.

The Policemen/women should be ashamed for at least 3 reasons:
1. They arrested a 5 year old for throwing a temper tantrum.
2. Their station had to give the excuse that they are new recruits.

The Teacher should be ashamed for at lest 3 reasons:
1. A little 5 year old girl was being aggressive and she couldn't defend herself.
2. She is the brat's teacher.

The Videographer should be ashmed because:
1. A little 5 year old girl was throwing a temper tantrum (eg. screaming, jumping on table, hitting teacher, flagrantly disobeying) and all the videographer could do was tape.
2. The videographer's video tape was shown on Fox News.

I think there should be some shame for all of those involved.

PureX

Dread Helm said:
Yeah that'll solve the problem....
You must have been there, as you seem to know exactly what happened and exactly who's at fault, an all. So why didn't YOU fix everything with some good old fashioned violence? Maybe you could have beat the teacher after you got done beating some sense into that little brat. Maybe you could have beat the cops butts a little, too, just to show those sissies how a real man takes care of these things. And don't forget the mom, you'd have to give her a good beating for letting her kid be such a brat to start with. Then I guess you'll have to come teach me a lesson, too, for daring to point out that violence isn't always the best solution. Looks like you got your work cut out for you, huh.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
PureX said:
You must have been there, as you seem to know exactly what happened and exactly who's at fault, an all. So why didn't YOU fix everything with some good old fashioned violence? Maybe you could have beat the teacher after you got done beating some sense into that little brat. Maybe you could have beat the cops butts a little, too, just to show those sissies how a real man takes care of these things. And don't forget the mom, you'd have to give her a good beating for letting her kid be such a brat to start with. Then I guess you'll have to come teach me a lesson, too, for daring to point out that violence isn't always the best solution. Looks like you got your work cut out for you, huh.
:first: POTD!