It sings a song of pain and death.

Mr. 5020

The Edge said:
Well, apparently many others disagree. You are not the only judge of what's stupid or not. It's your OPINION if something I say is stupid.
Many others? Knight hit both of us twice with his bad rep points, and my rep power is almost double yours.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Edge said:
i wish the reps would refresh faster
Maybe you should try changing your username to "I love reps", and then you could make your avatar a picture of a giant GREEN rep block and finally make signature a plead for rep points. :mrt:

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
5020, I have been virtually nonexistant here until January. SO even though I joined that long ago, I began 2005 with a post count barely over 100, but now it's much higher. Nobody really knew me until this year.

Knight just loves the pain, doesn't he? :)

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
PureX said:
He was hurt, and he was angry, and he was feeling humiliated, and he was reacting the way a lot of people react in that situation - he was looking for someone to punish. He was feeling that if he could make someone else suffer, then his own dignity would be restored. He didn't know he was feeling all of this, though, he was just a kid. But he was feeling it, and he did say what he said - several times. And he did grow up to be just like his father: angry, red-faced, humorless, hyper-controlling and very unhappy.

I can tell you another story about abuse, too, and this one also is true.

I joined the army on the "buddy plan" with a friend named Jim. The army promissed that if you join as buddies, they will let you serve together, so we went to basic training in the same company, though Jim was put in a different squad, and was in a different section of the barracks.

One evening I heard a ruckus going on in the hallway, and stepped out to see what was going on. What I saw was a group of guys from Jim's squad pushing another guy down the hall. They were hitting him and kicking him and shouting that they were going to take him into the showers because he stinks. The truth, though, was that this guy was a little bit chubby and they had all ganged up on him to abuse him, to make themselves feel better (remember that the drill sargents had been abusing and humiliating all of us all day long - that's what they do in basic training). And the guy at the head of this pack of bullies was my buddy Jim.

So I stepped in front of the whole group, and in front of my friend Jim, and just looked at him in surprise and said, "Jim, what the hell are you doing?" He looked at me with his face all red and said; "Get the f___ out of the way, or your next!" And I beleived he meant it. I stepped aside and he and this pack of dogs took that guy into the showes and they scrubbed the skin off his back with steel wool. He had to be taken to the hospital and later he was dismissed from the army. You think he's still carying those scars?

Jim and I were never really friends after that. And I got myself purposely thrown out of the army a while later for going a.w.o.l. and Jim ended up cutting his wrists, so they threw him out, too.

The point is that this is how some people react when they are abused - they look for someone else to abuse in turn, so that they can "restore" their own sense of empowerment. And that's what John was feeling that day when he said that he couldn't wait to have kids of his own so he could beat the sh__ out of them.

These things really happened. And my life is not unusual. Open your eyes, and use the brain God gave you, and you'll see what I've seen. I don't hate John, or Jim, or anyone else. But this is what happens to people when they're abused. And this is what they do to other people, in turn. God bless 'Lighthouse's' dad for having the courage to break the chain of abuse that he suffered from as a kid.
Oops. I almost missed this one.

"He was hurt, and he was angry, and he was feeling humiliated, and he was reacting the way a lot of people react in that situation - he was looking for someone to punish. He was feeling that if he could make someone else suffer, then his own dignity would be restored."
And did you / do you think like this friend?

So your friend Jim was abused? You didn't establish that in your story. Was he like your other friend, just a victim of random violence?

PureX

Yorzhik said:
Oops. I almost missed this one.

"He was hurt, and he was angry, and he was feeling humiliated, and he was reacting the way a lot of people react in that situation - he was looking for someone to punish. He was feeling that if he could make someone else suffer, then his own dignity would be restored."
And did you / do you think like this friend?
No. That's why I tried to stop him.
Yorzhik said:
So your friend Jim was abused? You didn't establish that in your story. Was he like your other friend, just a victim of random violence?
He had been abused at home, growing up. But that wasn't what was causing him to behave the way he was behaving at that moment, it was because the drill sargents had been abusing us all, since we got there. That's what drill sargents do in basic training. And some people react to it by wantng to abuse someone else, in turn. That's what Jim and his friends were doing. They'd found a scape-goat, and they were abusing him because they were angry about having been abused all week by the drill sargents, and because doing so made them feel empowered again. (When people abuse us, they take away our power: our control over our own well-being. And some of us will seek to regain this sense of self-empowerment by doing the same thing to someone else.)

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PureX
He had been abused at home, growing up. But that wasn't what was causing him to behave the way he was behaving at that moment, it was because the drill sargents had been abusing us all, since we got there. That's what drill sargents do in basic training.
Whoa there hoss. One cannot break the rebellion to authority in a potential soldier with abuse. Drill sergeant school has a high wash-out rate because the training (of recruits) needs to be done in a certain way. And abuse isn't part of it. Drill sergeants are held in high regard in the service because they can train soldiers; and in just a few weeks time which requires the process be very intense. Abuse doesn't work to train - in fact it causes rebellion.

You seem to have a problem with knowing the difference between training and abuse. Sometimes negative feedback is required. What kind of negative feed back do you think is okay for it to be considered training and not abuse?

And some people react to it by wantng to abuse someone else, in turn. That's what Jim and his friends were doing. They'd found a scape-goat, and they were abusing him because they were angry about having been abused all week by the drill sargents, and because doing so made them feel empowered again. (When people abuse us, they take away our power: our control over our own well-being. And some of us will seek to regain this sense of self-empowerment by doing the same thing to someone else.)
What does any of this have to do with spanking?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One thing about this thread, it's easy to seperate those who do and do not have children.

PureX

Yorzhik said:
Whoa there hoss. One cannot break the rebellion to authority in a potential soldier with abuse. Drill sergeant school has a high wash-out rate because the training (of recruits) needs to be done in a certain way. And abuse isn't part of it. Drill sergeants are held in high regard in the service because they can train soldiers; and in just a few weeks time which requires the process be very intense. Abuse doesn't work to train - in fact it causes rebellion.

You seem to have a problem with knowing the difference between training and abuse. Sometimes negative feedback is required. What kind of negative feed back do you think is okay for it to be considered training and not abuse?
Well, you can call it whatever you want, but whatever it was, it left the trainees feeling exhausted, humiliated, frightened and angry all at the same time. And a few of them decided that the only way they could feel strong and in control again was by abusing someone else. Abusers never think that what they're doing should be called "abuse". They never think they're abusing anyone. But using violence and humiliation against other people is called abuse.
Yorzhik said:
What does any of this have to do with spanking?
It doesn't have anything to do with "spanking".

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Did anyone catch this last night on Fox News?

"What is going on when a five-year-old girl throwing a tantrum at school has to be handcuffed and led away by no less than three police officers?! "

They showed some video of the five year old misbehaving. It was pretty funny and sad at the same time.