Israel and my Fellow Jews. When do we begin the Omer Count, the Count of the Omer?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

This night, Rishon (Rishon means First, the First day of the week) Aviv 16 begins the second day of the feast of unleavened bread.

When do we begin to count the omer? I know two ways that would begin the count today Aviv 16, but I don't know (for certain). Since the first day of the feast of unleavened bread was a holy day on Shabbat. The other options would be this Shabbat the day after Aviv 21 which is a Holy Day, or the day after that Shabbat. How do I interpret the relevant passage in the Torah and is there anything else that informs us in Jewish Writing or Literature?

Thank you.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is Aviv 17 Omer 2 being night before day

I counted Omer 1 after hearing from my Rabbi, and I now have an app on my phone too or as well. From Chabad. Therefore, this is what I am doing this year unless someone objects or I learn something different now or in the future. Having heard two ways before is different than knowing two ways that are the same day.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Shalom.

This night, Rishon (Rishon means First, the First day of the week) Aviv 16 begins the second day of the feast of unleavened bread.

When do we begin to count the omer? I know two ways that would begin the count today Aviv 16, but I don't know (for certain). Since the first day of the feast of unleavened bread was a holy day on Shabbat. The other options would be this Shabbat the day after Aviv 21 which is a Holy Day, or the day after that Shabbat. How do I interpret the relevant passage in the Torah and is there anything else that informs us in Jewish Writing or Literature?

Thank you.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob are you saying day 15 Aviv and day 22 Aviv are Sabbaths?

genuineoriginal

The omer should be counted beginning on the first day of a week.

Leviticus 23:15-16
15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
16 Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the Lord.​

Because the fiftieth day of counting the omer must fall on the day after a Sabbath, the only way to have that happen is if the forty-ninth day is always on a Sabbath.
There is no special holy day that is called a Sabbath forty-nine days after the first day of the feast of unleavened bread, so the Sabbath on the forty-ninth day must be a weekly Sabbath.

genuineoriginal

This year, the Rabbinical counting and the Biblical counting fall on the same days of the week.
Most years, the Rabbinical counting does not match the Biblical counting.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The omer should be counted beginning on the first day of a week.

Leviticus 23:15-16
15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
16 Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the Lord.​

Because the fiftieth day of counting the omer must fall on the day after a Sabbath, the only way to have that happen is if the forty-ninth day is always on a Sabbath.
There is no special holy day that is called a Sabbath forty-nine days after the first day of the feast of unleavened bread, so the Sabbath on the forty-ninth day must be a weekly Sabbath.

This year, the Rabbinical counting and the Biblical counting fall on the same days of the week.
Most years, the Rabbinical counting does not match the Biblical counting.

I can think about what you have said, but I do not agree with your logic and reasoning.

Omer 1 was the day after a Sabbath and a Holy Day, on Aviv 16, this year. I asked my Rabbi on Aviv 16 via my phone, a text message, when to start the count. I had known two ways, but was uncertain that it would be Aviv 16 even so.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Rabbinical Judaism changed the way the omer is counted so the day of Bikkurim (first fruits) would not fall on the Gentile's Sunday because that is the day Jesus rose from the dead.

I don't believe this. I do not observe Sunday. I am a proselyte and a convert to Israel and Judaism. Yeshua did rise from the dead. That is not what Passover is about.

genuineoriginal

I do not observe Sunday.
The Bible never says to observe Sunday.
The Bible says to remember and observe the Sabbath (the Gentile Saturday) as a day of rest.

I am a proselyte and a convert to Israel and Judaism.
You can't be a proselyte and convert to Rabbinical Judaism without denying Jesus.

Yeshua did rise from the dead. That is not what Passover is about.
Passover is about remembering how God spared the children of Israel that showed their faith by putting the blood of a lamb on their doorposts, which turned away the angel of death.
The feast of unleavened is about remembering how the children of Israel left Egypt in such a hurry that they never stopped long enough for their dough to rise to make bread and had to eat unleavened bread for the seven days they fled the Egyptians.

In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul speaks of Jesus as being our Passover lamb.

1 Corinthians 5:7
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The Bible never says to observe Sunday.
The Bible says to remember and observe the Sabbath (the Gentile Saturday) as a day of rest.

You can't be a proselyte and convert to Rabbinical Judaism without denying Jesus.

Passover is about remembering how God spared the children of Israel that showed their faith by putting the blood of a lamb on their doorposts, which turned away the angel of death.
The feast of unleavened is about remembering how the children of Israel left Egypt in such a hurry that they never stopped long enough for their dough to rise to make bread and had to eat unleavened bread for the seven days they fled the Egyptians.

In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul speaks of Jesus as being our Passover lamb.

1 Corinthians 5:7
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:​

I cannot verify what you are saying. I know about the verse. Not your understanding.

I do not observe Saturday. It is not the Sabbath. The Sabbath is the seventh day of the week.

You do not need to deny Jesus. You do need to get rid of your paganism.

I don't know why you say the angel of death.

I don't know why you say they never stopped long enough for their dough to rise to make bread

genuineoriginal

I don't know why you say the angel of death.
Some translations use that term.

Exodus 12:23 GNT
23 When the Lord goes through Egypt to kill the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the beams and the doorposts and will not let the Angel of Death enter your houses and kill you.​

I don't know why you say they never stopped long enough for their dough to rise to make bread

Exodus 12:39
39 And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they brought forth out of Egypt, for it was not leavened; because they were thrust out of Egypt, and could not tarry, neither had they prepared for themselves any victual.​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Some translations use that term.

Exodus 12:23 GNT
23 When the Lord goes through Egypt to kill the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the beams and the doorposts and will not let the Angel of Death enter your houses and kill you.​

Exodus 12:39
39 And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they brought forth out of Egypt, for it was not leavened; because they were thrust out of Egypt, and could not tarry, neither had they prepared for themselves any victual.​

I don't know what to make of your second here. I don't know what that means.

Exodus 12:23 ESV For the LORD will pass through to strike the Egyptians, and when he sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the LORD will pass over the door and will not allow the destroyer to enter your houses to strike you.

Exodus 12:23 NKJV For the LORD will pass through to strike the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the LORD will pass over the door and not allow the destroyer to come into your houses to strike you.

Exodus 12:23 NASB - "For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the LORD will pass over the door and will not allow the destroyer to come in to your houses to smite you.

Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 12
Verse 23

23 The Lord will pass to smite the Egyptians, and He will see the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, and the Lord will pass over the entrance, and He will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses to smite [you].

כג וְעָבַ֣ר יְהֹוָה֘ לִנְגֹּ֣ף אֶת־מִצְרַ֒יִם֒ וְרָאָ֤ה אֶת־הַדָּם֙ עַל־הַמַּשְׁק֔וֹף וְעַ֖ל שְׁתֵּ֣י הַמְּזוּזֹ֑ת וּפָסַ֤ח יְהֹוָה֙ עַל־הַפֶּ֔תַח וְלֹ֤א יִתֵּן֙ הַמַּשְׁחִ֔ית לָבֹ֥א אֶל־בָּֽתֵּיכֶ֖ם
:לִנְגֹּֽף