ECT Is this person a Christian?

heir

TOL Subscriber
HEIR HAS MY VOTE.

is this person Christian to you?

IF THEY WORSHIP THE FATHER AND CHRIST AND NOT MARY.

What's the point of the gospel of Christ if all it took to be saved was our "worship"/ a term hijacked by the religious, denominational system? the Bible says the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth. No trusting the Lord believing the good news of Christ, no salvation!

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

you believe Jesus is too weak and ineffectual to keep you from sinning

and to keep you doing good works, which are required b/c only good works (not bad ones ) impart GRACE

"by grace are you saved...."

if good works impart grace

and bad ones do not

seems a Christian would choose good ones, eh?

and to not choose good ones puts you in the default works group: ie: bad works. To refrain from doing good (helping your brother when he needs help) you are doing EVIL

_

You do not understand the gospel of or what grace means. Grace is the unmerited favor of God apart from works. Works are not required to receive God's favor. He gives it because he wants to. You grieve the heart of god by thinking that you can do anything to save yourself. It is he and he only who saves.

Timotheos

this person believes Jesus paid the price for our sins, to make a way to Heaven

• that no one is made by God to be in Hell
  • that all people have a choice to make for or against Jesus and will gain or lose from that decision on Judgment Day
  • that humans are hopeless and cannot get into Heaven without Jesus
  • that it is difficult to do all that Jesus says but we have to try and there is no salvation without good works

So,

++

It seems that I am stepping into someone else's fight, but I will say yes, this person is Christian.

"If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9 NIV
and
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? --- As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
James 2:14, 26 NIV (take the whole section)

heir

TOL Subscriber
It seems that I am stepping into someone else's fight, but I will say yes, this person is Christian.

"If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9 NIV
and
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? --- As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
James 2:14, 26 NIV (take the whole section)
:down:

The person in the OP believes there is no salvation unless you work for it. In other words has never trusted in God's finished work in her place. And you agree with her?

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Timotheos

:down:

The person in the OP believes there is no salvation unless you work for it. In other words has never trusted in God's finished work in her place. And you agree with her?

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Thanks Heir! I agree with what the Bible says, as I put into my post.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Thanks Heir! I agree with what the Bible says, as I put into my post.
The Bible says different things at different times to different people. I gather that you believe your works are necessary for salvation just as the person who wrote the OP. That's an other gospel. So be it.

Timotheos

The Bible says different things at different times to different people. I gather that you believe your works are necessary for salvation just as the person who wrote the OP. That's an other gospel. So be it.

I believe what Paul wrote in Galations, I believe that the person the OP describes is a Christian because I believe that Romans 10:9 is true.

And I also believe that James 2:14-26 is true.
(Incidentally, I believe that the gospel Paul preached was the same gospel as Jesus Christ, James, John, Jude and Peter preached.)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
no, it's just that YOU see a contradiction

actually it is YOU who contradict yourself. If you believe that you cannot stop sinning, it is YOU who are, in so believing, saying that Jesus is not powerful enough to keep you from doing so...

you have a wimpy Jesus... wimpty "church"

++

If anyone could stop sinning, they wouldn't need a savior. Yes, I was so wimpy that i couldn't save myself. Good luck where you are headed to save yourself.

I hear its really really hot there.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I believe what Paul wrote in Galations, I believe that the person the OP describes is a Christian because I believe that Romans 10:9 is true.
Of course Romans 10:9-10 is true, but it's not the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV), the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16 KJV) . It's missing a key element: the why of the cross. Romans 10:9-10 KJV is what Israel failed to do. It's the gospel of God: the Who of Jesus Christ and that God raised Him from the dead, but as I already stated, it's missing the WHY of the cross/ the WHAT Christ did for us. It's not enough to save anyone today or Paul wouldn't have needed to get the gospel of Christ to the Romans to establish them into the Body.
And I also believe that James 2:14-26 is true.
Of course James is true, but it's not written to us and is contrary to Paul's my gospel.
(Incidentally, I believe that the gospel Paul preached was the same gospel as Jesus Christ, James, John, Jude and Peter preached.)
Of course you do as you ignore the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Act 26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

keypurr

Why do folks always equate salvation with works?

You can not earn salvation, but faith will bring good works. You will follow the master and love God and mankind. It is love that will bring you the grace of salvation from Christ. Love brings works. Sometimes being a friend might take you out of your easy chair to help someone out. That is works folks.

But works will not save you, only his grace can do that.

oatmeal

this person believes Jesus paid the price for our sins, to make a way to Heaven

• that no one is made by God to be in Hell
  • that all people have a choice to make for or against Jesus and will gain or lose from that decision on Judgment Day
  • that humans are hopeless and cannot get into Heaven without Jesus
  • that it is difficult to do all that Jesus says but we have to try and there is no salvation without good works

So,

++

Are you a Christian or a Roman Catholic?

Timotheos

Of course Romans 10:9-10 is true, but it's not the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV), the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16 KJV) . It's missing a key element: the why of the cross. Romans 10:9-10 KJV is what Israel failed to do. It's the gospel of God: the Who of Jesus Christ and that God raised Him from the dead, but as I already stated, it's missing the WHY of the cross/ the WHAT Christ did for us. It's not enough to save anyone today or Paul wouldn't have needed to get the gospel of Christ to the Romans to establish them into the Body.
Of course James is true, but it's not written to us and is contrary to Paul's my gospel.
Thanks Heir, I agree that the Book of James was written to "the 12 tribes in the Dispersion", but I also agree with what Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 3:16, that all scripture is God breathed and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. Whether James was specifically written to me or not, it is still true because it is "God breathed". And I know that Paul's message is not missing the "why" of the cross, because he said "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified."

Of course you do as you ignore the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
I appreciate your warning, but I am looking at the evidence and I can see from it that the gospel Paul preached was the same gospel as Jesus Christ, James, John, Jude and Peter preached.

Here is the evidence I am looking at: There is only one God, and only one mediator between God and mankind, (1 Timothy 2:5) therefore there can only be one gospel. Since Jesus sent the eleven disciples out to preach the gospel, (Matthew 28:16-20) and he sent Paul out with the gospel (Acts 20:24, and others), then the gospel Paul preached has to be the same gospel as Jesus Christ, James, John, Jude and Peter preached.

Timotheos

Why do folks always equate salvation with works?

You can not earn salvation, but faith will bring good works. You will follow the master and love God and mankind. It is love that will bring you the grace of salvation from Christ. Love brings works. Sometimes being a friend might take you out of your easy chair to help someone out. That is works folks.

But works will not save you, only his grace can do that.
Exactly.
oatmeal said:
Are you a Christian or a Roman Catholic?
Isn't it possible to be one or the other, or both, or neither?
I am a Christian, but I am not a Roman Catholic. Couldn't the Republican Chick be both Christian AND Roman Catholic? (And Republican, and a member of the American Legion, and the head of the quilting society of Chicago?)

heir

TOL Subscriber
Act 26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
which would have landed them in the synagogue where they would then hear the gospel that would save them

heir

TOL Subscriber
Thanks Heir, I agree that the Book of James was written to "the 12 tribes in the Dispersion", but I also agree with what Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 3:16, that all scripture is God breathed and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. Whether James was specifically written to me or not, it is still true because it is "God breathed". And I know that Paul's message is not missing the "why" of the cross, because he said "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified."
You people have reading problems. I never said Paul's my gospel was missing the why of the cross. I said Romans 10:9-10 KJV is.

I appreciate your warning, but I am looking at the evidence and I can see from it that the gospel Paul preached was the same gospel as Jesus Christ, James, John, Jude and Peter preached.
nope.

Here is the evidence I am looking at: There is only one God, and only one mediator between God and mankind, (1 Timothy 2:5) therefore there can only be one gospel. Since Jesus sent the eleven disciples out to preach the gospel, (Matthew 28:16-20) and he sent Paul out with the gospel (Acts 20:24, and others), then the gospel Paul preached has to be the same gospel as Jesus Christ, James, John, Jude and Peter preached.
If it's all the same "the gospel" you will have no problem showing from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John that the gospel the 12 preached in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John included the good news "that Christ died for our sins". I'll wait.

Cross Reference

You people have reading problems. I never said Paul's my gospel was missing the why of the cross. I said Romans 10:9-10 KJV is.

nope.

If it's all the same "the gospel" you will have no problem showing from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John that the gospel the 12 preached in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John included the good news "that Christ died for our sins". I'll wait.

So who had the right gospel message, Jesus or Paul __ and how is it that the body of Christ is of Jesus Christ and not Paul??

musterion

I'm sick of all these Christendom liars TOL is infested with. Not one of them has been able to show the DBR for the sin of all preached before Paul was saved. Yet they insist time after time it was preached before that point, even though none of them can find one trace of it. May God have mercy on them all.

Timotheos

So, then no problem. What I said was that according to Romans 10:9 the person described in the OP was saved.

nope? No, yes.

That is not a problem.
John 3:14-16 (ESV)
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Matthew 16:1
From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.

Would you also like the gospel from one of the Old Testament prophets?
Isaiah 53:5
But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.

(All ESV)