Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Doormat

you can go back through the thread and see what i believe, its already been laid all out if you need more than just the above summary as ive already been through it and posted the verses that support my view, no need to be redundant.

Why do unbelievers have to suffer torment in hades before the judgement?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Why should unbelievers be taken to heaven and be forced to be with one they wanted to be separated from?

Death means separation. God gives us what we choose.

God is also not a liar, Jesus talks about hell more than heaven. Its not like no one is warned.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
What does this response have to do with anything I've posted? :idunno:

Can you give me specific examples or not?

This is based on all relevant verses, principles, chronology.

We know that the resurrection is yet future when Christ comes for His Church and then the unregenerate are raised 1000 years later to the GWT.

We know that those who die now are not having a dirt nap, but are in the immediate presence of God. Paul hints at a spiritual vs natural body, a glorified body vs temporal body, etc. in I Cor. 15. The cumulative evidence from a number of passages is how I formulate my understanding.

All truth is not in one proof text.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

The torment is dying apart from God. The judgment awaits the end of time. Even today, the guilty are remanded until their sentencing and final imprisonment at a later date (subsequent to capture, trial, sentencing, incarceration).

Doormat

Doormat said:
Why should unbelievers be taken to heaven and be forced to be with one they wanted to be separated from?

Death means separation. God gives us what we choose.

God is also not a liar, Jesus talks about hell more than heaven. Its not like no one is warned.

I don't see how that answers my question. What you believe necessitates two punishments, one before the guilty has been judged. I'm trying to find out why unbelievers have to suffer torment in hades before the resurrection and judgement?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't see how that answers my question. What you believe necessitates two punishments, one before the guilty has been judged. I'm trying to find out why unbelievers have to suffer torment in hades before the resurrection and judgement?

Is a person who is in jail waiting for a trial, receiving 2 punishments?

Also:

Tell me where i said anything about torment and what you claim it is?

You started out asking me about one thing and then slipped in the word torment a couple posts of YOURS ago, where have i stated what i believe about that?

How do you expect me to answer something about myself that i never put forth that i believe?

You asked me if i believed either hell or the judgement and i said both, where did i say anything about torment . Post my words please, thanks.

Doormat

The torment is dying apart from God.

What does that mean? :idunno:

Even today, the guilty are remanded until their sentencing and final imprisonment at a later date (subsequent to capture, trial, sentencing, incarceration).

Luke 16:23,24 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

You claim that's literal, right?

Doormat

Is a person who is in jail waiting for a trial, receiving 2 punishments?

See my response to poster godrulz on that point.

Do you believe the story of the rich man and Lazarus is literal or a parable? I've been under the impression you believe it is literal.

Tell me where i said anything about torment and what you claim it is?

The rich man was tormented in hades. Don't you believe that?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
See my response to poster godrulz on that point.

Do you believe the story of the rich man and Lazarus is literal or a parable? I've been under the impression you believe it is literal.

The rich man was tormented in hades. Don't you believe that?

First define what you mean by torment. What are you claiming it is that i believe? Also yes, i believe that the bible is literal about the story of the rich man and lazarus, i do not believe it any parable.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
What does that mean? :idunno:

Luke 16:23,24 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

You claim that's literal, right?

I claim that it is consistent with sound doctrine. If my view is wrong, then Lk. 16 would not be written as it is. Jesus does not teach false things, symbolic or not. It presents conscious torment, period. If this was not truthful, Jesus would not pass it off as a spiritual picture. I could see you arguing that this is temporary vs eternal, but I cannot see you arguing that it represent unconscious annihilation.

Torment can take on many forms, not just physical (just like Jesus' sufferings were not primary physical, despite what Mel Gibson portrayed in Passion of Christ). If one is a Muslim expecting to be in paradise with virgins, or a Mormon expecting to die and be reunited with family, or a JW expecting soul sleep, no hell, future paradise earth, or to commit suicide to end the pain, or an atheist finding out there is a God and afterlife, etc., then it is sheer terror and torment to realize you were deceived/wrong and now face a Christless eternity of regret and loss.

Doormat

How we got to this point ...

How we got to this point ...

Angel4Truth said:
First define what you mean by torment. What are you claiming it is that i believe?

... So what the verse there is really saying is that the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah are still undergoing an eternal fire as an example, remember that angels fell from heaven and this example is also for THEM to what is coming for THEM as well.

Do you believe that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah are in "Hell" presently suffering punishment?

yes, just like the rich man in the story of the rich man and lazarus

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Thats not an answer, again tell me what YOU believe torment is exactly since you keep telling ME what i believe, yet never mentioned.

As soon as you do that, we can continue. I never said non believers get 2 punishments either, YOU did, i said its like they are in jail - seperated from God like they wanted, waiting for their court date (great white throne judgment)

What is it you arent getting about what ive said?

That waiting place used to have 2 parts, hell/hades and abrahams bosom/paradise. Since believers have passed from death to life and have been declared innocent in Christ, there is no need for them to wait a judgment that will never come, since they have already been judged, so only the other part waits.

Doormat

Also yes, i believe that the bible is literal about the story of the rich man and lazarus, i do not believe it any parable.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Then the rich man is punished twice, once before the judgement.

Why? You don't say.

How is he punished twice, you keep saying that but you have not established anyone believes that or how you believe that.

Jesus said that those who refuse Him are condemned already. Do you believe that or not?

If you believe it, then where do you think they should be - those that have already been condemned?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

So watch yourselves, lest you forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which He made with you, and make for yourselves a graven image in the form of anything against which the LORD your God has commanded you. 24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God. (Deuteronomy 4:23-24).

He is tormented by the truth, all the times he refused God and desired to be separated from Him. The truth is what torments him. The coming evidence of his own condemnation at the judgment torments him, torments him so, that he wants to now warn others.

Thats the point.

Doormat

Thats not an answer, again tell me what YOU believe torment is exactly since you keep telling ME what i believe, yet never mentioned.

I believe the story is parable. People dead in their sins are tormented by the truth. The word translated to torment means to suffer pain.

I never said non believers get 2 punishments either, YOU did, i said its like they are in jail - seperated from God like they wanted, waiting for their court date (great white throne judgment)

I asked you if people were presently in hell suffering punishment and you said yes, like the rich man in the story. I'm going by your words.

What is it you arent getting about what ive said?

What you believe implies two punishments, one before the guilty has been judged. I'm trying to find out why unbelievers have to suffer torment in hades before the resurrection and judgement?

Doormat

So watch yourselves, lest you forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which He made with you, and make for yourselves a graven image in the form of anything against which the LORD your God has commanded you. 24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God. (Deuteronomy 4:23-24).

Is God literally or figuratively a consuming fire?

He is tormented by the truth, all the times he refused God and desired to be separated from Him. The truth is what torments him. The coming evidence of his own condemnation at the judgment torments him, torments him so, that he wants to now warn others.

Do you believe the flame is literal or figurative in the story of the rich man and Lazarus? It appears you believe the flame is figurative, but you claim the story is literal.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I believe the story is parable. People dead in their sins are tormented by the truth. The word translated to torment means to suffer pain.

Yes, it is torment to realize how wrong one is and how selfish and how prideful and how many people they have hurt having chosen their sin and if unremorseful still, the fact that they know what is coming and they have had to face the truth. Think no one torments themselves in jail knowing what is coming on them when they sit before the judge?

I asked you if people were presently in hell suffering punishment and you said yes, like the rich man in the story. I'm going by your words.
He is punished by his own thoughts, and punished by being removed from his physical life of sin that he loved more than God.

What you believe implies two punishments, one before the guilty has been judged. I'm trying to find out why unbelievers have to suffer torment in hades before the resurrection and judgement?

No it doesnt, thats just what you are trying to make it sound like instead of believing what the bible actually says.

The torment is their own knowledge of God and all the times they rejected him, and knowing whats coming when they come to trial because they have faced the truth (the consuming fire of God)

Doormat

He is punished by his own thoughts, and punished by being removed from his physical life of sin that he loved more than God.

He doesn't literally want to cool his literal tongue with literal water then, right?

No it doesnt, thats just what you are trying to make it sound like instead of believing what the bible actually says.

Rather, I am trying to make sense of what you have claimed:

... So what the verse there is really saying is that the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah are still undergoing an eternal fire as an example, remember that angels fell from heaven and this example is also for THEM to what is coming for THEM as well.

Do you believe that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah are in "Hell" presently suffering punishment?

yes, just like the rich man in the story of the rich man and lazarus