Is the coronavirus God's punishment?

oatmeal

I'm sort of surprised someone hasn't broached this subject already. There are some who seem to think that anything that happens comes directly from the hand of God, and if that something is bad, then it must be a punishment. I remember when 9/11 happened, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell came out of the woodwork to say that God had withdrawn his hand of protection from America and allowed terrorists to attack us because of abortion and homosexuality.

So, is the coronavirus God's judgement against America for its sins, yes or no?
No

nikolai_42

I'm sort of surprised someone hasn't broached this subject already. There are some who seem to think that anything that happens comes directly from the hand of God, and if that something is bad, then it must be a punishment. I remember when 9/11 happened, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell came out of the woodwork to say that God had withdrawn his hand of protection from America and allowed terrorists to attack us because of abortion and homosexuality.

So, is the coronavirus God's judgement against America for its sins, yes or no?

No, it's the vehicle for bringing in the sort of rulership that we have shown we deserve because we can't rule ourselves properly. What was, in the beginning, an experiment in liberty has become an exercise in license. We not only condone things like the murder of the innocent for convenience and the blatant overturning of the created order - not to mention the acceptance of what God calls an abomination - but we call it freedom and choice. John Adams said the Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people (and wholly inadequate to the government of any other). George Washington suggested to the Delaware Indians that they would do well to learn American arts and way of life - above all the religion of Jesus Christ. He even said Congress would do everything they could to help them in that pursuit. Congress endorsed the publication of more than one bible.

Men have become lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God and have gone so far as to enshrine those pleasures as rights and something no one can take from them. God, however, will not be mocked. Whatever a man sows - that also shall he reap.