Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
wholearmor said:
You're just saying that 'cause it's true!

Ok, you got me there.

On Fire

beanieboy said:
You can choose what you wish to do.
But your implication is that I am causing you to do so.

That is simply not true. If you have made a choice to use the term faggot, then it is of your own decision of how to speak. I you call someone faggot and call yourself Christian, you represent yourself and the body of believers and Christ - one who is antagonistic to the unsaved - you have made that choice, and you need to stand accountable to that.

It is my understanding that all have fallen short of the glory of God, yet God does not call us derogatory names, but reaches out in love. In following that, I, too, must look to such instances of being cursed, and only bless, to see those who attack, and express only love, to see anger and lack of mercy towards me, and try to find understanding and compassion for one who chooses to live that kind of life.

I see this as little more than group bullying, which has little effect on me, and baiting, which I won't be a part of. Feel free to discuss this issue amongst yourselves, and critique your own followings of Jesus, and whether or not this is loving God with all your soul, heart and mind, and loving your neighbor as yourself.

I wish you peace, and God's blessings, and that you grow closer to God and understand what is truly in his keeping for how we are to love.

Namaste.

Thanks for overlooking the part where I said I think you're right. Pretty much sums up your whole existence here.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
BillyBob said:
Hey Beanie, be honest, have you ever used the word 'faggot'.

I'm trusting you to be honest.....

That's a good question. I see a lot of derogatory names used by homo's themselves. IE "Queer Nation", "Dykes on Bikes", etc. I'm not sure why "faggot" is being singled out.

But to the point of the thread, OnFire, I don't think beanieboy would quit whining if no one ever used the term "faggot" again. He has a lot to complain about, not just one word he finds offensive. I think he is a generally unhappy person.

beanieboy

Nineveh said:
That's a good question. I see a lot of derogatory names used by homo's themselves. IE "Queer Nation", "Dykes on Bikes", etc. I'm not sure why "faggot" is being singled out.

But to the point of the thread, OnFire, I don't think beanieboy would quit whining if no one ever used the term "faggot" again. He has a lot to complain about, not just one word he finds offensive. I think he is a generally unhappy person.

I'm actually a very happy person.

I will repeat, you can choose to call me whatever you wish. I've been called worse.
And I will continue to try my best to return curse with blessing, as is my beliefs.
I encourage you to call me on this when ever I stumble, and thank you in advance.

I'm unclear why "faggot" is singled out as well, but it is usually said to indicate that you are saying that someone is beneath you. I still hold to the truth that all have fallen short of the glory of God, and whenever I think myself better, I repeat that to myself, and then know to pray, rather to only condemn and put others beneath me.

However, the bible uses "homosexual", and does not use faggot. Faggot is a relatively new word, and used to sound more derogatory, and is meant to demean the person. I imagine that is why people choose to single out that word and use it in place of homosexual - because it exhalts themself, and makes them seem better than the other.

The Pharisees (while they were sinners) referred to the prostitutes and tax collectors as "sinners."
The said to the disciples, "why does your master eat with the sinners?" They weren't including themselves.

Even in this thread, someone quotes that Jesus called the sinners Vipers.
He did call the sinners vipers - the Vipers who referred to the prostitutes and tax collectors "sinners."

He who exhalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exhalted.

Namaste.

May God's Peace be with you.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nineveh said:

Does it really matter what term you use for homosexuality? There was a time when the words idiot and moron were technical terms describing different levels of mental retardation. Problem is since no one wants to be thought of a less than intelligent the words took on a derogatory meaning.
By the same token any name given to people who commit acts of perversion will always take on a derogatory meaning. At least until the time when society becomes so rebellious that evil and righteousness are fully accepted as interchangeable.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wamba the Fool said:
Just like the rainbow. They stole that too.

But we WILL take it back!

Revelation 4
...and there was a rainbow around the throne...

beanieboy

BillyBob said:
Hey Beanie, be honest, have you ever used the word 'faggot'.
I'm trusting you to be honest.....

Hm.
There was a time when I was younger, I suppose.
I wasn't very mindful of words, and would say that to someone, because I knew if was like getting in a cheap shot. It was said to question one's manhood. (You can also insult a man by calling him a "girl" or a "woman").

I've grown more mindful of my words.
I try to be more careful with them, because they hold a lot of power.

I believe that is why the bible says:
James 3:4-6

Public Domain

4Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
5Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

6And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

So, yes. I've used foul language.
I've even called someone nigger in anger, and did it with the intent to harm, and that small word hurt that person very much and damaged our relationship, and it took a long time to gain his forgiveness.
I don't believe that calling someone a nigger is that same as calling someone an idiot.
Nigger has a long history of negativity that comes with it, and to ignore that is not to be honest with yourself.

However, even name calling I find questionable. It's the argument of children, when your statements can't speak for themselves.

But that is my philosophy, my choice that I have made.

Generally, those who call me faggot have no more to say than, "it is not, you faggot!" or a cheap shot and not much to respond to.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
Generally, those who call me faggot have no more to say than, "it is not, you faggot!" or a cheap shot and not much to respond to.
Still it's better to be called one than to be one!

Agape4Robin

I consider the term faggot to be demeaning and derogatory.
How can we as christians hope to reach someone when we resort to name calling? :confused:

Not only that, but it's completely juvenile! :baby:

IMHO it has no place in the christian vocabulary.

Freak

On Fire said:
Beanieboy continues to complain that the so-called Christians here are not very Christ-like when they call him names like "faggot". I think he's right. I also think he asks for it by continuing to claim that homosexuality is not a sin. Maybe if we agree with him about the name calling we could get him to stop complaingin about the SYMPTOMS and look at the CAUSE.

Jesus Christ used some very harsh words and I believe there are times when it is appropriate. I think calling homosexuals "faggots" "queers" "fags" etc is entirely appropriate when encountering a homosexual that is in rebellion. If you come across a homosexual who is struggling and perhaps looking for some answers (and even on the verge of repentance) then it would be wise not to use this kind of language. Bring them to repentance as God's Word tells us..

"Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?"

Furthermore, I believe we as followers of Jesus need to utilize harsh language in addressing sin. The Lord did, as did the early disciples.

Freak

These are not only my beliefs but I have actually called homosexuals "queers" in public meetings, on the streets, in front of the gay discos, (a friend of mine was worried for my life) like I did when I was in Mardi Gras earlier this year. Wanna talk about some angry faggots!!!

beanieboy

One of the things I was thinking about was The Laramie Project. Fred Phelps was expressing "Tough Love" with his usual "God hates fags" chants at the funeral of Shephard. He was so full of self righteousness, that he didn't care how cruel it was to the parents that were going to the funeral of their young son that died so brutally. One of those who attended the funeral, surely an outcast in Laramie, WY with his spiked hair and leather coat, because singing, "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound..." and everyone began to join in.

I thought about what that must have been like - how you can almost see it snowing from above, and the wicked witch saying, "CURSES! Someone always helps that girl!" and imagine that Fred must have been livid. And I think that is how God is - not smiting them down in force, but drowning them out in love about a song that talks about the Mercy of God, and choosing a Joan of Arc, the most unlikely suspect, because he was brave enough to stand up, even if he would have been singing alone.