Inappropriate test question at a Charlotte NC school

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why do you think the question is inappropriate?

I'm sure she has her reasons.
Perhaps because they focused on butts instead of the many other areas genetics can effect.
But (pun intended), since any of the areas would have made a legitimate question, I'm just not upset about it.

I actually see it as making a mountain out of molehill.
But that's just me.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yes, seriously.

Is there anything in the question that you actually find is inappropriate?
If so, what is it and why do YOU find it inappropriate?

Well i would think the classroom should be focused on the lesson, not other peoples behinds. If they would have asked a question like that where i went to school, they would have never been able to restore order again in the classroom.

Maybe if tyrone later focuses on the big bootie of a coworker when he gets a job, he wont be sued for sexual harrassment, maybe.

genuineoriginal

I'm sure she has her reasons.
Perhaps because they focused on butts instead of the many other areas genetics can effect.
But (pun intended), since any of the areas would have made a legitimate question, I'm just not upset about it.

I actually see it as making a mountain out of molehill.
But that's just me.

I am wondering if the white outrage over the question is more over the names of the people in the question than it is over the use of the misspelled word "bootie".

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I am wondering if the white outrage over the question is more over the names of the people in the question than it is over the use of the misspelled word "bootie".

Not on my part, and if you got that, you cant read.

Well i would think the classroom should be focused on the lesson, not other peoples behinds. If they would have asked a question like that where i went to school, they would have never been able to restore order again in the classroom.

Maybe if tyrone later focuses on the big bootie of a coworker when he gets a job, he wont be sued for sexual harrassment, maybe.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Easy. Mother is heterozygous and big booty is dominant. (Aa) Hence phenotype is big.

Dad is small, and therefore homozygous (aa; it's not what you think, Nick) for small booty.

So the Punnett Square is:

Punnett6.gif

Showing 50% chance that offspring will be heterozygous, (Aa) and have big booty, and 50% chance that they will be homozygous (aa) and have small booty.

True story: Just the other day I was looking at a tile pattern on a wall, and it was reminding me of something and I couldn't think of it. I kept looking at it, and it hit me... it was a Punnett Square with the aa square blacked out for the 1 in 4 chance that a CF carrier would also have the disease. I've been studying genetics these past weeks. :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
True story: Just the other day I was looking at a tile pattern on a wall, and it was reminding me of something and I couldn't think of it. I kept looking at it, and it hit me... it was a Punnett Square with the aa square blacked out for the 1 in 4 chance that a CF carrier would also have the disease. I've been studying genetics these past weeks.

Funny how that happens. When I was in college, I played chess just about every day. I started to see chess problems in things like rows of parked cars.

genuineoriginal

Not on my part, and if you got that, you cant read.
I read what you wrote.

I am still waiting for you to explain how the question is inappropriate.

So far all you have explained is that YOU have a problem with focusing on peoples backsides, the unruly people you went to school with, and people named Tyrone.

Now try explaining how the question is inappropriate instead of how your thoughts are inappropriate.

genuineoriginal

yep and that is what i think is inappropriate. Take it or leave it.
I will leave it, since there is nothing inappropriate in referring to body parts in a biology class that is teaching about genetic inheritance.

Maybe next time you can leave your knee-jerk outrage at the door and use the gray matter God gave you to consider why you are offended over nothing.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I will leave it.....

Guess not...since you keep going on...

, since there is nothing inappropriate in referring to body parts in a biology class that is teaching about genetic inheritance.

Maybe next time you can leave your knee-jerk outrage at the door and use the gray matter God gave you to consider why you are offended over nothing.

And maybe you can leave your knee- jerk reaction at the door and use yours, since you seem to be really offended by what bothers me.

:wave2:

genuineoriginal

And maybe you can leave your knee- jerk reaction at the door and use yours, since you seem to be really offended by what bothers me.
My reaction can hardly be called a knee-jerk reaction.

I asked you to explain why you thought the question was inappropriate and you started raving about how it would lead to false sexual harassment charges against a person with a stereotypical "black" name.

Your reaction is clearly racist in nature, so I have no reason to accept it ("take it") and every reason to reject it ("leave it").

_____
"Tyrone": Acceptable Racism in the Form of Jokes

Sometimes, when pretending to be ghetto, you will refer to a random person as Tyrone. But have you ever put any thought into why the name “Tyrone” is being used? Why not Mike, or Bob, or Steve? Well, Tyrone is a stereotypical "black" name and by using it in such a way, you are helping in furthering the a stereotype that has seriously plagued society for years: Black men are stupid and act ghetto.

Let’s think the times you've seen thsese comics on Tumblr. Often, when there are black males in a cartoon, he's portrayed as "ghetto" - named Tyrone, wearing an oversize shirt (usually in a color associated with a gang), baggy pants, and a sideways hat. This character usually acts defiant or disrespectful towards adults or any figure of authority and refers to nearly everyone as "nigga."

These are all common stereotypical views of black youth in America but they certainly don't ring true for every (or even the majority) of blacks. So why would anyone want to further spread and support this negative stereotype? Well, for some, it's a way to "acceptably" express their racist feelings.
_____​

zoo22

_____

Sometimes, when pretending to be ghetto, you will refer to a random person as Tyrone. But have you ever put any thought into why the name “Tyrone” is being used? Why not Mike, or Bob, or Steve? Well, Tyrone is a stereotypical "black" name and by using it in such a way, you are helping in furthering the a stereotype that has seriously plagued society for years: Black men are stupid and act ghetto.

Let’s think the times you've seen thsese comics on Tumblr. Often, when there are black males in a cartoon, he's portrayed as "ghetto" - named Tyrone, wearing an oversize shirt (usually in a color associated with a gang), baggy pants, and a sideways hat. This character usually acts defiant or disrespectful towards adults or any figure of authority and refers to nearly everyone as "nigga."

These are all common stereotypical views of black youth in America but they certainly don't ring true for every (or even the majority) of blacks. So why would anyone want to further spread and support this negative stereotype? Well, for some, it's a way to "acceptably" express their racist feelings.
_____​

More people prefer to use mock ebonics. Or some just blubber out something like "the jb's," and then turn and run away* when they're called on it.

Just another excuse for the jb's to loot liquor stores.

* Granted, maybe aCw had to run off do an important image search for "homosexual sex."

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
My reaction can hardly be called a knee-jerk reaction.

I asked you to explain why you thought the question was inappropriate and you started raving about how it would lead to false sexual harassment charges against a person with a stereotypical "black" name.

Your reaction is clearly racist in nature, so I have no reason to accept it ("take it") and every reason to reject it ("leave it").

_____

_____​

wow you read a lot into that, i deliberately used the name tyrone, for YOU, since i had already said what bothered me and you refused to believe me and kept pushing that.

Clearly the names are what bothers you, you have proven that what is going on in the op bothers you, even though you acted like it didn't, and i caused you to prove that it does by that usage just like the example.

Thanks!

The names are irrelevant to me because i would expect a primarily black school to use primarily black names in examples, the subject matter is what bothers me. I dont think it needs to be encouraged for school children to be focused on other peoples rear ends (big booties - most school children these days have issues with their bodies also). Plain and simple.