Immigration, yes! Colonization, no!

Evee

ebenz47037 said:
:chuckle: Illegal immigration has been a problem since long before Bush has been in office. You can't blame him for the last forty years.
Actually it is much worse since Bush, everyone knows that.
I live in a southern state there are more immigrants from Mexico than ever before.
All you have to do is look.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
paulpeterson83 said:
While I dont agree with FAS at all in any of his ideas, and frankly I think he is a loon, he does raise a good question. If for some reason, an American was caught in Mexico with out the proper papers and the like, would he/she be aforded the same rights that Mexican illegals demand in our country?

Although, I cant for the life of me figure out why you would go there to begin with, but hey to each his own.

It's been a long time since I've been down to Mexico. But, when I was in school in San Diego, they told us that if we went down there to be sure and keep some money in our socks. They said that since the legal drinking age, at that time, in Mexico was sixteen, Americans were often arrested in Mexico for disorderly behaviour. And, of course, while being detained, sometimes your identification was "lost." The money in the sock was to bribe the local police and judges if such a thing happened to you.

But, seeing this question made me look up the immigration laws for Mexico. From http://www.mexperience.com/liveandwork/immigration.htm:

What is Mexico's Immigration Policy?

Mexico's General Law of Population sets out the rights and obligations of foreigners, as well as the different statuses associated with foreign immigration.

In general, foreign nationals are welcome to visit Mexico for a defined period of time to take part in non-remunerative activities (e.g. a holiday), and requirements for remunerative visits or longer stays (beyond 180 days) require special permits from the Mexican Consulate.

There are two kinds of permit: Non-Immigrant and Immigrant. Non Immigrant Permits are for people who intend to visit Mexico for a specific purpose and then depart. Immigrant Permits are for people who wish to live in Mexico, temporarily or long term.

You do not have to surrender your natural Citizenship to be granted full resident status in Mexico. Full resident status entitles you to all rights and benefits of a Mexican National (live, work, claim state benefits and to pay taxes) but you cannot vote in Mexican elections. These permits may also prohibit work in specific industries. These are limited, and relate to bar and waiter/waitress work.

What Are the Immigrant Permits?

Immigrant Permits are issued to foreign nationals who have the intention of gaining permanent residency in Mexico. Under immigrant schemes, you are permitted to reside in the country, provided that you fulfil certain criteria (as specified by the type of permit) for a period of up to one year. The permit is renewable annually, for one year, for a further four years. At the end of the five year period, you automatically receive residency status, entitling you to full rights and benefits as any other Mexican Citizen, with the exception of the right to vote.

Upon receiving this status, you will receive a document that looks like a Mexican Passport (called a "FM2") which enables you pass through Mexico's borders as if you were Mexican National. You do not need to surrender your national passport, and you use your own passport when you return to your home country, either for visits, or when returning home to dwell. If you stay outside of Mexico for longer than 2 years, or for 5 years in any 10 year period, you will lose your resident status in Mexico.

Below are the kinds of people who can apply for Immigrant Permits, with a view to taking up permanent residency in Mexico:

Retirees

Investors

Professionals

Scientists & Technicians

Artists and Sportspeople

From http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-mexico-visas-residency:

Mexico - Visas, Residency, Immigration and Documentation

If you are only planning a short visit to one of the border towns in Mexico, you won't require any type of visa or other documentation. There is a "free-zone" (twenty miles within the U.S. border) and as long as you don't cross that and leave the country within 72 hours, you will not have to take any special precautions.

Tourist Visa - FMT

If you plan to enter as a tourist, but intend to travel farther than the twenty mile free zone area, you will need to get a tourist visa (FMT). These are good for six months, and can be applied for at the border, or at a Mexican Consulate, travel agency, or the airline if you're planning to fly into the country. You will need your valid passport or birth certificate, plus some other type of picture I.D-such as a driver's license. You will need to fill out some basic paperwork that asks for your name, address, where you're going and why you're in the country.

Non-Immigrant Visa - FM3

An FM3 is a one year permit to reside in Mexico. This document makes the holder a No Imigrante (Non-Immigrant) like the tourist visa but, unlike the tourist visa you are allowed to live in the country for an extended period of time. The document must be renewed each year as long as you continue to reside in Mexico. After your fifth year you can either upgrade to an FM2 or simply request a new FM3.

Immigrant Visa - FM2

An FM-2 is a one year permit to reside in Mexico. Unlike the FM-3, however, this document makes the holder an Imigrante (Immigrant). The document must be renewed each year as long as you continue to reside in Mexico. After your fifth year you can apply to become a permanent resident (inmigrado).

Citizenship

To obtain citizenship you must go the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores and apply for naturalization. You must prove five years of legal residency, which can be FM2 or FM3, and may also have to take exams in Spanish and Mexican history. You also have to provide colour photos and anything else that the licenciado asks for. This application is examined in great detail at the office where the application is made. It is then sent to Mexico City for a year or more for a decision. You must continue with the annual renewal of the FM2 or FM3 while this is being done. Once approval is received from Mexico City you pay another fee and wait another few months and hopefully then you will receive your naturalization card. With it you become a full citizen.

Sounds like it's tougher to become a citizen in Mexico than it is here. I also found it interesting that Mexico allows a 20-mile "Free Zone" for tourists to visit for no more than 72 hours. Hmmm. Maybe, they don't want illegal aliens taking the jobs from their citizens.

paulpeterson83

BANNED
Banned
ebenz47037 said:
It's been a long time since I've been down to Mexico. But, when I was in school in San Diego, they told us that if we went down there to be sure and keep some money in our socks. They said that since the legal drinking age, at that time, in Mexico was sixteen, Americans were often arrested in Mexico for disorderly behaviour. And, of course, while being detained, sometimes your identification was "lost." The money in the sock was to bribe the local police and judges if such a thing happened to you.

Thats pretty crazy. Hope nothing happened to you while you were there. That would be to bad. Never been south of the border, been north a bunch of times.

Sounds like it's tougher to become a citizen in Mexico than it is here. I also found it interesting that Mexico allows a 20-mile "Free Zone" for tourists to visit for no more than 72 hours. Hmmm. Maybe, they don't want illegal aliens taking the jobs from their citizens.

I dont think they have jobs in the first place. But, they do have a lot of kidnapings. Funny that.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Evee said:
Actually it is much worse since Bush, everyone knows that.
I live in a southern state there are more immigrants from Mexico than ever before.
All you have to do is look.

You can't put the blame on just Bush, though. I'm no fan of his. But, immigration laws haven't been enforced for years. I grew up (mostly) in central California. When I was young, I remember going to the fields and orchards with my parents to pick fruit and vegetables so we could get a couple of boxes of fresh produce. You don't see white families doing that anymore, in California. And, you haven't for about fifteen years or more. You can't blame that on Bush. I put more blame on the governors of California than I do the president of the US for that.

I would do the same thing with the governors of the other border states. The governors either don't allow the current laws to be enforced or they try to make other laws (giving drivers' licenses to illegals, etc) that will make it harder to enforce the current immigration laws.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
paulpeterson83 said:
Thats pretty crazy. Hope nothing happened to you while you were there. That would be to bad. Never been south of the border, been north a bunch of times.

And, I've never been north of the border. But, I've been to Mexico quite a bit. I used to be the designated driver for my friends. :)

I dont think they have jobs in the first place. But, they do have a lot of kidnapings. Funny that.

There actually are working people in Mexico. You pretty much have to consider the policia and the government corrupt, though.

Evee

ebenz47037 said:
You can't put the blame on just Bush, though. I'm no fan of his. But, immigration laws haven't been enforced for years. I grew up (mostly) in central California. When I was young, I remember going to the fields and orchards with my parents to pick fruit and vegetables so we could get a couple of boxes of fresh produce. You don't see white families doing that anymore, in California. And, you haven't for about fifteen years or more. You can't blame that on Bush. I put more blame on the governors of California than I do the president of the US for that.

I would do the same thing with the governors of the other border states. The governors either don't allow the current laws to be enforced or they try to make other laws (giving drivers' licenses to illegals, etc) that will make it harder to enforce the current immigration laws.
Yes my state was giving driving license to the illegals.
The state also encourage them to come to work in the nurserys the labor is cheaper and they send money home to family.
Mexico is encouraging them it makes them richer.
California probably is very adapted since it is so close to the border like Texas is.
I don't completely blame Bush but he should start to seriously work on this problem before it is to late.
We need jobs and then the children coming up now should not have to compete with illegals to make a living.
Just an opinion but sounds sensible to me.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Evee said:
Yes my state was giving driving license to the illegals.
The state also encourage them to come to work in the nurserys the labor is cheaper and they send money home to family.
Mexico is encouraging them it makes them richer.
California probably is very adapted since it is so close to the border like Texas is.
I don't completely blame Bush but he should start to seriously work on this problem before it is to late.
We need jobs and then the children coming up now should not have to compete with illegals to make a living.
Just an opinion but sounds sensible to me.

I think a good idea would be to withdraw any funding for "border security" for any state that has a high population of illegals and send the military in to secure the borders. :)

paulpeterson83

BANNED
Banned
ebenz47037 said:
And, I've never been north of the border. But, I've been to Mexico quite a bit. I used to be the designated driver for my friends. :)

Your not missing much, its kind of a watered down America. No fun for you? Come on, its Mexico, you have to do something at least once.

There actually are working people in Mexico. You pretty much have to consider the policia and the government corrupt, though.

I'm sure people do have jobs, I was just kidding. From what I understand the policia and the feds down there will often cross paths, and not in a good way. Local drug lords paying the cops to ambush the feds and such. Its like the Wild West in modern times. How fun.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
paulpeterson83 said:
Your not missing much, its kind of a watered down America. No fun for you? Come on, its Mexico, you have to do something at least once.

I'm sure people do have jobs, I was just kidding. From what I understand the policia and the feds down there will often cross paths, and not in a good way. Local drug lords paying the cops to ambush the feds and such. Its like the Wild West in modern times. How fun.

Makes me glad that I was never as far south as Mexico City. I only hit the border towns (TJ was the best fun back then. :chuckle: ).

Free-Agent Smith

Send the illegals back regardless of how long they've been here. They've made some money and hopefully they've sent some of it back home for their sakes. Now deport them or put them in a non-paying civil servitude position such as cleaning highways or repairing roads to pay their fines. I'd prefer we just send them back over the border and I'm not concerned if it's done gently.