I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the Day of the LORD

beameup

And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. - Revelation 11:3

These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will. - Revelation 11:6

Elijah
Moses

northwye

Matthew 17: 10-13: "And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come? 11. And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. 12. But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them. 13. Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist"

Matthew 17: 10-13 shows us the big difference between the physical literalism of the Scribes and Pharisees and the spiritual interpretation of Jesus Christ. Christ did not expect a literal appearing of Elijah. John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah.

Luke 1: 17 tells us about the mission of John the Baptist. "And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the disobedient to the wisdom of the just and to prepare the people for the coming of the Lord.

"And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou? 20. And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.
21. And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No. 22. Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself? 23. He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias." John 1: 19-23

The Pharisees were stuck in the physical and literal and did not understand that which is spiritual, that John the Baptist came in the spirit of Elijah.

"The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God." Isaiah 40: 3

In the spirit of the prophet Elijah, John the Baptist called the people to repent from their sins, sought to prepare them to believe in Christ, become born again in him and to believe and follow his doctrines. John the Baptist was also calling them out of the religion of the Pharisees.

"But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8. Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: 9. And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. 10. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire." Matthew 3: 7-10

John the Baptist called the Pharisees vipers, told them to repent and not to claim that they were of the physical bloodline from Abraham, and uses the metaphor of an ax laid to the trees, saying that the religious teachings of the Pharisees were to be done away with.

The appearing of John the Baptist in the spirit and power of Elijah to prepare people for the first coming of the Lord does not necessarily exhaust totally the prophecy of Malachi 4: 5-6, "Behold,I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord."

The spirit and power of Elijah will appear in the remnant - seen in Revelation 7 and Revelation 14 and in Revelation 12: 15-17 - in the end time before Christ himself appears.

Again, the spirit and power of Elijah will appear to prepare the people of God for the coming of the Lord. "And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12: 17

"These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. 5. And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God." Revelation 14: 4-5

Elia

The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable Day of Y-H-W-H come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on THE NAME of Y-H-W-H shall be saved. - Acts 2:20-21

J...s

Bs"d

“And in all that I have said to you, be circumspect and make no mention of the name of other gods, nor let it be heard from your mouth."

Ex 23:13

“I am Y-H-W-H , and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me."
Isaiah 45:5-6

northwye

Originally Posted by beameup
"The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable Day of Y-H-W-H come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on THE NAME of Y-H-W-H shall be saved." Acts 2:20-21

Quoting Hebrew words for God can invite argument which takes the focus off the topic.

beameup

For there is no difference between the Jew and the Gentile: for the same LORD over all is rich unto all that call upon HIM. For whosoever shall call upon THE NAME of the LORD shall be saved. - Romans 10:12-13

For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. - Psalm 86:5

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call upon THE NAME of the LORD shall be delivered: - Joel 2:32a

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Elijah is still alive, in heaven.

Alive in heaven? How come Jesus didn't know that?

John 3:13: "No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven."

beameup

Alive in heaven? How come Jesus didn't know that?

John 3:13: "No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven."

Too bad you cannot "compute" the Scriptures. Perhaps you can take a course in introductory Bible studies.
Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) - Ephesians 4:8-10

beameup

And after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, and Jesus was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elijah talking with him. While he yet spoke, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. - Matthew 17:1-3,5

ThreeAngels

King Saul saw a vision of Samuel. Do either of them still live?
No. This is the in errant testimony of the Scripture: In the very day when the silver cord is loosed and the golden bowl broken (Ecclesiastes 12:6), man's thoughts perish. They that go down to the grave are in silence. They know no more of anything that is done under the sun. See also Job 14:21. Saul perceived that it was Samuel (1 Samuel 28:14). In reality it was a familiar spirit- a devil -which had taken Samuel's form.

CherubRam

Matthew 11:13, 14.
13 For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come.

CherubRam

The biased holy men who wrote the Bible were human, they speculated a lot and got some things wrong. John wasn't Elijah, Elijah isn't coming back. Because of the same erroneous teaching John thought the deliverer would come in great power, executing Gods wrath upon the earth!!! Well, instead, a mature, loving, divine Son of God came and revealed the heavenly Father in his life. No wrath, no world wide destruction. He planted the seeds of the Kingdom of Heaven in his original gospel which will one day be preached to the world and subdue all mankind into one earth family. For now we have men continuing to speculate, projecting their way of thinking upon God.

I wonder how many times you have been told that the coming of the Messiah is more than one event.

beameup

And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. - Mark 12:26-27

beameup

Yes, you are always gloating about that. There really aren't many "messianic" Jews in Israel. I have only run into them 2 or 3 times in the past 30 years.

History is not going in the direction that you think it ought to. Quite sorry.

Sorry to disappoint, but Scripture indicates that things are returning to the "original condition" that existed in 32 A.D. onward in Jerusalem and Israel. The purely Jewish "Sect of the Nazarenes" is reviving in the Holy Land. "It's show-time".

Interplanner

Sorry to disappoint, but Scripture indicates that things are returning to the "original condition" that existed in 32 A.D. onward in Jerusalem and Israel. The purely Jewish "Sect of the Nazarenes" is reviving in the Holy Land. "It's show-time".

What scripture? what show? what revival? I've heard "messianics" and they get things as messed up as MADs.