I have such good neighbors!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have to tell you all how much I appreciate them. I called Jill, at work, today to ask her if her son could bring my trash can up from the driveway to the front porch, wait for me to put my trash in it and then take it back down to the end of the driveway. I have six inches of snow in my yard and driveway and don't have any boots (can't wear them because I have high arches). So, if I had gone down there, I would have had snow in my shoes.

She said that she would send her son over this evening. About an hour later, her husband brought my trash can up to my porch and waited for me to put my trash in it. I thanked him and he took it back down to the end of my driveway for me.

Hopefully, the snow melts this weekend and I'll be able to do it myself.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. They are. My neighbor on the other side of the one who helped tonight comes down with his tractor a couple of times during the summer to "mow" the grass on the hill next to my house. I can't mow it with my mower because the hill's too steep. And, I have another neighbor on the other side of me who comes to plow my driveway for me after we have significant snowfall. He hasn't done it yet. But, it's been snowing almost every day since I took my nephew to the bus station in Indianapolis last week.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It sounds like you have some great neighbors. I only have one neighbor because my home is on the corner lot. They are rather loud in the mornings, and I believe they are moving.

Thankfully, if the snow is too deep or if I need help to access the yard or street, my daughter is available.

PureX

I think it's more common in rural areas that neighbors help each other out. Though, sadly, it's becoming less so.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It sounds like you have some great neighbors. I only have one neighbor because my home is on the corner lot. They are rather loud in the mornings, and I believe they are moving.

Thankfully, if the snow is too deep or if I need help to access the yard or street, my daughter is available.

Since there are only six families (including myself) on my road, I consider them all my neighbors. :chuckle:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it's more common in rural areas that neighbors help each other out. Though, sadly, it's becoming less so.

True. I know that when I first moved out here, from central California, I was surprised by my neighbors leaving a bag of venison on my porch or a bag of groceries. I don't know how they found out I was a widow. But, I found out later that that's why so many of them would leave a bag of food on my porch.

PureX

True. I know that when I first moved out here, from central California, I was surprised by my neighbors leaving a bag of venison on my porch or a bag of groceries. I don't know how they found out I was a widow. But, I found out later that that's why so many of them would leave a bag of food on my porch.
People who live further away from towns and cities have learned to rely on each other for help, simply because all they have is each other. I live in an area that used to be a farming community, and everyone knew and helped each other. Now days, all the farms have been run out of business by big agra-corps, and the farmers sell their land to the rich folks from in town, who want to move out to the country to build their 'McEstates' and live like country squires. And they don't even bother to meet their neighbors, much less care about their well-being.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have another good neighbor story to share with you guys. This afternoon, I woke up from my nap to find out that one of my neighbors had plowed my driveway for me. At least, now, I can get out if I need to. And, I can walk down my driveway to the mailbox and to get the trashcan. :banana:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
sometimes, once i get warmed up, i start shoveling other folks' driveways. since i'm already out there and bundled up. then, they owe me bigtime. JK -

PureX

sometimes, once i get warmed up, i start shoveling other folks' driveways. since i'm already out there and bundled up. then, they owe me bigtime. JK -
When my dad first moved out into the country, he had a farm tractor with a gigantic snow blower (3 x 7 foot) that he could mount on it because his driveway from the road in was about 600 feet long. He would blow out his drive, and then go up and down the road and blow out the neighbor's drives as well, mostly just because he loved operating that giant snow blower. :)

Needless to say the neighbors appreciated his enthusiasm, and the fact that his blower could blow the snow out of their drives and 200 feet down wind in a matter of minutes. Many of them have owned and loved their own various farm tractors over the years, so they understood, and appreciated the friendly gesture, too. They became fast friends with him for the next 30 years.

My dad past away last summer and some of those neighbors came by. And they still smiled as they recalled him coming around to blow the snow out of their drives with that giant snow blower all those years ago.

It's amazing the durability of an act of kindness.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
When my dad first moved out into the country, he had a farm tractor with a gigantic snow blower (3 x 7 foot) that he could mount on it because his driveway from the road in was about 600 feet long. He would blow out his drive, and then go up and down the road and blow out the neighbor's drives as well, mostly just because he loved operating that giant snow blower. :)

Needless to say the neighbors appreciated his enthusiasm, as many of them have owned and loved farm tractors, too, the friendly gesture. And they became fast friends with him for the next 30 years.

My dad past away last summer and some of those neighbors came by, and still smiled as they recalled him coming over to blow the snow out of their drives all those years ago.

It's amazing the durability of a little act of kindness.

especially when he expected nothing in return. Amen - :patrol:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I called my neighbor to thank him, he told me that I should call him or his wife if I ever need anything done around here, especially since it's just me now that my nephew's in Annapolis, MD.

PureX

When I called my neighbor to thank him, he told me that I should call him or his wife if I ever need anything done around here, especially since it's just me now that my nephew's in Annapolis, MD.
Isn't it great to know you have good people around you?

I have a neighbor just up the road. He's nearing 80 years old, but he still comes by to say hello and chat for a while. He likes to do woodwork in his garage and so do I, so even though we're different ages, and have very different backgrounds, he feels like an old friend. It always lightens my day when he drops by. God bless him!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Isn't it great to know you have good people around you?

I have a neighbor just up the road. He's nearing 80 years old, but he still comes by to say hello and chat for a while. He likes to do woodwork in his garage and so do I, so even though we're different ages, and have very different backgrounds, he feels like an old friend. It always lightens my day when he drops by. God bless him!

Yes. After living in central California for most of my life, I didn't think I'd see neighbors like this. The neighbor that I was talking about today has only been married for a little over a year, now. His father-in-law sold them five acres for a very low price and they started building their house last summer. They finished right around Christmas time. I've known his father-in-law for years (I used to buy firewood from him). These neighbors might be around my daughter's age. I do make fun of their dog. It's a maltese mix. I like to say that if it bounces when it barks, it's not a dog. :chuckle: But, I like Danielle and Shane.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
They are responsible for not doing God's will....you told them they have freewill and can do as they like.

It's YOUR fault.