I don't think Hannity is right about this one: re racism

republicanchick

Hannity says the president of that university in OK was right to kick those students (their fraternity) off the campus for their racist singing..

Well, I thought it was a little over the top. And then David Webb and some other BLACK person came on his show and also said (so many words) it was excessive. Actually, they said it wasn't right .. free speech.

Well, i have mixed feelings b/c the song did mention Blacks hanging from trees :noway:

But on the other hand, no one said he was going to DO something like that... just a dumb song...

so... I don't know.. But I think this PC stuff always trumping such things as free speech... is a little... out there..

+

Mocking You

Free speech is the ability to say nasty things about the US government without getting arrested or otherwise punished. Free speech is not the ability so say whatever you want about private institutions that you are affiliated with without possible repercussions.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's hard to comment either way without a link to the story. Do you have a link?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Free speech is the ability to say nasty things about the US government without getting arrested or otherwise punished. Free speech is not the ability so say whatever you want about private institutions that you are affiliated with without possible repercussions.

:thumb:

republicanchick

I think we should be free to say what we want EVERYWHERE

what if the gov takes over the colleges? Oh... yeh, I think they already have..

But anyway... assuming what u say is true, the college needs to have a handbook that specifically SAYS you cannot say [whatever]

or sing whatever song...

but again, one should be free EVERYWHERE in a free society like ours

++

Mocking You

Try this. (I assume you have a job)

At the next staff meeting at your place of employment, say in a loud voice, "the owner of this company is a racist!"

See how far your "free speech rights" take you.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Go to You Tube and put in "Sigma Phi Epsilon racist Oklahoma."

I can remember my fraternity (which like all other fraternities on campus at the time, was only white) agonizing if we wanted to be the first integrated fraternity since a black guy rushed with us, and most of us liked him. Although we worried about what might happen if he didn't work out, in the end we gave him a bid. Turns out, he was a journalism major, doing research for a story.

I wonder if he realized the disservice he did to the next black guy to go through rush. In the mid-60s, there was still a fair amount of racism about in Iowa, and change came slowly.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can't get one... not the most computer saavy individual

but it was on Hannity last night (Fox @ 10 pm ET)

++

Normally, it's fairly easy ...

Go to the top of the page (the article is on) and highlight the link then right click on your mouse and select paste (in the message box).

Morpheus

But anyway... assuming what u say is true, the college needs to have a handbook that specifically SAYS you cannot say [whatever]

or sing whatever song...

++
How about someone going to an elementary school ripping out a string of profanity? How about their teacher? Now how about one that is already determined illegal, yelling, "fire" or "bomb" in a theater? Be honest, you don't really believe that.

Sitamun

or sing whatever song...

++

You are free to say what you want. You are not free from the repercussions of said speech.

republicanchick

Go to You Tube and put in "Sigma Phi Epsilon racist Oklahoma."

I can remember my fraternity (which like all other fraternities on campus at the time, was only white) agonizing if we wanted to be the first integrated fraternity since a black guy rushed with us, and most of us liked him. Although we worried about what might happen if he didn't work out, in the end we gave him a bid. Turns out, he was a journalism major, doing research for a story.

I wonder if he realized the disservice he did to the next black guy to go through rush. In the mid-60s, there was still a fair amount of racism about in Iowa, and change came slowly.

I fail to see how he did anything wrong

??

__

republicanchick

How about someone going to an elementary school ripping out a string of profanity? How about their teacher? Now how about one that is already determined illegal, yelling, "fire" or "bomb" in a theater? Be honest, you don't really believe that.

never said I did--or let's say I never intended to say we could say absolutely ANYTHING.. threats are not acceptable.. etc...

so keep bashing the straw man.. :bang:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
breach of contract?

i assume the student was paying tuition in exchange for an education

unless his tuition was refunded?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
breach of contract?

i assume the student was paying tuition in exchange for an education

unless his tuition was refunded?

I doubt college is considered a contract. But perhaps they could get some sort of prorated refund of any tuition they paid for this year.