I am disgusted!

Mr. 5020

ShadowMaid said:
I think where you and I disagree is what should be done to try and prevent this.
All I say is to do things that will make a difference and aren't a black eye in what you're trying to do. I would be willing to say that the Terri protest lost some of its honor by the actions of McBurney and followers, at least in the eyes of some, wouldn't you?

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
It can be immoral to do things the wrong way. A sniper that goes around shooting rapists will serve in prison right next to a rapist.
:doh: A sniper going around shooting rapists would be immoral. That would not be the "right thing the wrong way".

ShadowMaid

Mr. 5020 said:
All I say is to do things that will make a difference and aren't a black eye in what you're trying to do. I would be willing to say that the Terri protest lost some of its honor by the actions of McBurney and followers, at least in the eyes of some, wouldn't you?

They were right for trying to get Terri water, and protesting. They did make a difference.

julie21

ShadowMaid said:
They were right for trying to get Terri water, and protesting. They did make a difference.
Terri didn't get the water...her life ended..what difference did they make? I am seriously interested Shadowmaid, because I cannot see it.
A future difference may be made through fixing/exploring better legislation under the Constitution to ensure this does not set a precedent for future victims.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
You don't think rapists should be put to death?
I absolutely think they should be put to death! That is completely different than someone taking it upon themselves to go around killing them. Justice must be applied by the proper authorities for it to be just.

ShadowMaid

julie21 said:
Terri didn't get the water...her life ended..what difference did they make? I am seriously interested Shadowmaid, because I cannot see it.
A future difference may be made through fixing/exploring better legislation under the Constitution to ensure this does not set a precedent for future victims.

It's more then just Terri. It's also about showing people the truth. The police men for example, it would have never entered their minds that they were being paid to help murder an innocent woman if there were no protesters to talk them through it.

Mr. 5020

Imrahil said:
I absolutely think they should be put to death! That is completely different than someone taking it upon themselves to go around killing them. Justice must be applied by the proper authorities for it to be just.
Hmmm....I think you're swinging now, or at least confusing me. The proceeding dialogue made me believe that you thought a sniper taking out evil-doers was ok. Was I mistaken?
Mr. 5020 said:
I disagree. People can lose the sanctity of their own life by taking another. For example, if I hold you hostage, and threaten to shoot you in the head, it would not be wrong for a police sniper to blow my brains all over the place.
Imrahil said:
I didn't get a chance to bring this up earlier but would you agree that by the same logic, you would be right to stop an abortionist by similar means if necessary?
Mr. 5020 said:
No. One is against the law, and the other is not.
Imrahil said:
What if kidnapping, rape or murder is legalized? Would you then condemn that sniper?
Mr. 5020 said:
In that case, yes, I would condemn the sniper.
Imrahil said:
Why on earth would you condemn a man who saves an innocent life? :confused:

Mr. 5020

ShadowMaid said:
It's more then just Terri. It's also about showing people the truth. The police men for example, it would have never entered their minds that they were being paid to help murder an innocent woman if there were no protesters to talk them through it.
Check out the second sentence of my post.
Mr. 5020 said:

Mr. 5020

ShadowMaid said:
There's a difference between "the protest" and what McBurney & Co. did.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
Hmmm....I think you're swinging now, or at least confusing me. The proceeding dialogue made me believe that you thought a sniper taking out evil-doers was ok. Was I mistaken?
I said it is right to save an innocent life. That is different from a civilian taking it upon himself to kill criminals without authorization. Intervening in a crime to save a life, even if it means taking the life of the perpetrator, is justified and honorable. Simply killing people after the fact is completely different.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
There's a difference between "the protest" and what McBurney & Co. did.

If all the people that McBurney gave cups to, trying to encourage them to go with him, agreed to and was able to bust their way through, getting a dring to her, do you think it would have been worth it then?

Mr. 5020

Poly said:
If all the people that McBurney gave cups to, trying to encourage them to go with him, agreed to and was able to bust their way through, getting a dring to her, do you think it would have been worth it then?
No. It would have prolonged her torture, nothing more.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
No. It would have prolonged her torture, nothing more.
So you were against any medical treatment for her?

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
We were referring to a sniper and an abortionist.
Yes, in the conversation a couple days ago, I said it is right to save an innocent life. Do you see some inconsistency?

Mr. 5020

Poly said:
So you were against any medical treatment for her?
No no no...misunderstanding. I would have been fine with medical treatment. But 300 people busting into a hospital to give her a drink of water, only to be overtaken by the police, would have just added a few days to the starvation process.

Mr. 5020

Imrahil said:
Yes, in the conversation a couple days ago, I said it is right to save an innocent life. Do you see some inconsistency?
In the dialogue mentioned before, you asked if I would condemn a sniper who took out a rapist, kidnapper, etc., should it be made legal. I answered in the affirmative, to which you said, "Why would you condemn someone who saved an innocent life?" You are now telling me that a sniper taking out a rapist would be wrong, so yest, I do see some inconsistency.