ECT Hypothetical situation on prayer

musterion

You hear an acquaintance fervently pray to God that He would show them His will regarding a specific situation. This person is truly perplexed and in earnest and, as far as you know, saved.

After their prayer, you politely point out that the specifics they asked for wisdom about have already been addressed, in context, in Paul's epistles. They let you show them where.

The person listens. When you're done, they don't say anything. They only frown. The person doesn't dispute or question anything you said (the Bible statements are plain enough) but seems a little bothered or maybe discouraged by your pointing it out. But they say nothing else.

So the conversation ends there. Based on what you know of them, they probably will continue fervently seeking God's will and enlightenment on the exact situation He has already addressed...only praying out of your earshot this time...and ignore what you showed them in the Bible. It wouldn't be unlike them to do this.

What would you think in this situation? Would you say anything else about it to them, or drop it?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You hear an acquaintance fervently pray to God that He would show them His will regarding a specific situation. This person is truly perplexed and in earnest and, as far as you know, saved.

After their prayer, you politely point out that the specifics they asked for wisdom about have already been addressed, in context, in Paul's epistles. They let you show them where.

The person listens. When you're done, they don't say anything. They only frown. The person doesn't dispute or question anything you said (the Bible statements are plain enough) but seems a little bothered or maybe discouraged by your pointing it out. But they say nothing else.

So the conversation ends there. Based on what you know of them, they probably will continue fervently seeking God's will and enlightenment on the exact situation He has already addressed...only praying out of your earshot this time...and ignore what you showed them in the Bible. It wouldn't be unlike them to do this.

What would you think in this situation? Would you say anything else about it to them, or drop it?

That is sad. What can you do if they don't want your help?

Danoh

Recently had a run in with someone like that, in which they offered to pray on a thing.

At which point they caught in my hesitation what they took to be some form of doubt in God.

So I proceeded to attempt to share with them what my understanding of such things is.

Immediately, their obviously long held belief about such things, and how they work, arose to defend itself.

Even though I quoted various passages, each one re-interpreted by them, even as I was citing the passages.

So I tried to share a principle or two, behind God's having changed how such things work.

Only to meet with more ignorance and invention on the spot as to this or that in the Scripture.

Getting nowhere.

And the guy was becoming more and more aggravated.

I thought 'this is going nowhere, well, hopefully I've at least planted a seed, I think I'll just leave it at that.'

At which point I politely said 'obviously, we do not see eye to eye on these things, and I doubt we will during this brief moment, so until next time, should there be a next time, lets agree to disagree, and leave at that...'

We exchanged numbers.

Only God knows what will come of all that.

Won't be the first time such things bore no immediately noticeable fruit.

And it won't be the last time, it may have borne none at all.

What's a body to do, but walk on.

It remains intriguing, the paradigm that each person looks at things from, a paradigm that too often does not allow them to see anything other than what they have long set their minds on seeing.

It is what it is.

Romans 5:6-11.

musterion

Crappycon, I have you on Ignore. I can see that you posted but that's it. But you keep on posting.

Crappycon keeps talkin' at me
I can't read a word he's postin'
only the faint whiff of a troll...

Pretendin' to be God Himself
then some kind of Calvinist
can't make up his mind, he's on a roll...

I'm puttin' the loser on Ignore
cuz he's a waste of time
threatening to murder strangers
say "hi" to the FBI...

Aimiel

I would tell them that if they ask God for a fleece that they will get fleeced, by the enemy of their soul; since you already addressed their situation with Scriptural proof. I've told several people this, then been able to review what Scripture actually says and had better results. :thumb:

oatmeal

Why not ask that person?

You receive not because you ask not.

Do you want to know more?