How important is the Sabbath?

clefty

The seventh day of rest is only for God's people. It's obviously not for you.

Hebrews 4:9 NASB So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.​

But only for the people of God. You should ignore it.

Yup...made in His image means we do as He does...

daqq

I see that you are one brick short. Good bye!

Interesting side note pertaining to bricks:

Exodus 5:1-7
1 And afterward Moshe and Ahron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus says YHWH, Elohey of Yisrael, Let My people go, that they may hold a feast unto Me in the wilderness.
2 And Pharaoh said, Who is YHWH, that I should obey His voice to let Yisrael go? I know not YHWH, neither will I let Yisrael go.
3 And they said, Elohey of the Hebrews has met with us: let us go, we pray thee, a journey of three days into the desert, and sacrifice unto YHWH our Elohey; lest He light upon us with pestilence or by the sword.
4 And the king of Egypt said to them, Wherefore do you, Moshe and Ahron, loosen the people from their works? get you unto your burdens!
5 And Pharaoh said, Behold, the people of the land now are many: and you let them shabath-rest from their burdens!
6 And the same day Pharaoh commanded the taskmasters of the people, and their officers, saying:
7 You shall no more give the people straw to make brick, as the day before yesterday: let them go and gather straw for themselves.

Moshe and Ahron first stood before Pharaoh the day after the Shabbat rest of the Hebrews. This means that they were already observing some form of Shabbat before the commandment and Pharaoh tried to take it away in the passage above; and because Moshe and Ahron had stood before Pharaoh the day after the Shabbat of the Hebrews in the above passage Pharaoh therefore says to his taskmasters, "You shall not give the people straw to make brick as you did three days ago", (ki-tmowl shilshom - literally, "like ago, trebled", in other words, "the day before yesterday"). There is reference to this very reasoning given in the Deuteronomy version of the Ten Commandments:

Deuteronomy 5:12-15 KJV
12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.
13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ***, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.
15 And remember that thou wast a servant
[slave] in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

CherubRam

When you quote scripture to make a point, the least you can do is to explain to your opponent why you are using that particular scripture. I'm not the mind reader that you seem to think I am. People that do nothing but quote long lists of scripture are terrible forum debaters. Only they know what that long list means. To everyone else, it's a puzzle.

"BRANCH" is a word used in parables referring to whom is the Elect of God. According to scriptures we Gentiles are a grafted BRANCH into Israel through Christ. Israel is the nation and people of God including Gentiles.

CherubRam

The seventh day of rest is only for God's people. It's obviously not for you.

Hebrews 4:9 NASB So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.​

But only for the people of God. You should ignore it.

If you are not part of the people of God, then you are not even a true Christian. Take some time and think about it.

Ac28

"BRANCH" is a word used in parables referring to whom is the Elect of God. According to scriptures we Gentiles are a grafted BRANCH into Israel through Christ. Israel is the nation and people of God including Gentiles.
We Gentiles today (whose doctrine is found ONLY in Paul's last 7 epistles) are not blessed through Israel. We were chosen, according to Ephesians 1:4, before the foundation of the world, i.e., before the creation. Every other saved human in the Bible was chosen FROM or SINCE the foundation of the world - eons later than us - see 2 Thessalonians 2:13, for example. Therefore, nothing you've said applies to me or you (if you could see it).

Ac28

Another Calvinist.

:cow:
I just believe the Bible. The words "chosen" and "predestination" are Biblical words. The words "foreknowledge" and "foreknew" are also Biblical words. God's choosing was only done through his foreknowledge of what a person would believe. Predestination is a result of choosing which is a result of His foreknowledge.

No one is ever "chosen" by God for what He foreknows their merits or works will be. They are only chosen when God foreknows what their faith will be concerning His truth found only in the Bible.

Last edited:

CherubRam

We Gentiles today (whose doctrine is found ONLY in Paul's last 7 epistles) are not blessed through Israel. We were chosen, according to Ephesians 1:4, before the foundation of the world, i.e., before the creation. Every other saved human in the Bible was chosen FROM or SINCE the foundation of the world - eons later than us - see 2 Thessalonians 2:13, for example. Therefore, nothing you've said applies to me or you (if you could see it).
Again, you are a brick short. Find some one else to talk to.

clefty

Another Calvinist

:cow:

Never really understood them...

Why would He even need to ask us to Remember the Sabbath day...if He already knew who would and who would not?

Luckily even Calvin struggled enough with the Sabbath he even continued papist methods to ensure the elect maintain it according to man's tradition and as they were destined to do...some ironic theology there...some reform

CherubRam

We are to remember the Sabbath and to not forget it. God foresaw that His people would be lead astray from keeping His Sabbath Rest Command.

CherubRam

Matthew 12:8
For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Mark 2:27
Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Mark 2:28
So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Luke 6:5
Then Yahshua said to them, “The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Man, as in mankind. It does not say the Sabbath was made for the Jew, but mankind. The seventh day is Yahshua’s Sabbath.

oatmeal

[FONT="]Exodus 20:6[/FONT]
[FONT="]And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Exodus 20:8[/FONT]
[FONT="]“[B]Remember the Sabbath[/B] day by keeping it holy. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Exodus 31:17-16[/FONT]
[B][FONT="]Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath,[/FONT][/B][FONT="] to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. [B]It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: [/B]for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Romans 9:6[/FONT]
[FONT="]It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 12:17[/FONT]
[FONT="]And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with [B]the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God[/B], and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 14:12[/FONT]
[FONT="]Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 22:14[/FONT]
[FONT="]Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life,[/FONT][/B][FONT="] and may enter in through the gates into the city.[/FONT]

Not important to those who choose to live according to this period of grace.

CherubRam

Matthew 12:8
For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Mark 2:27
Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Mark 2:28
So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Luke 6:5
Then Yahshua said to them, “The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Man, as in mankind. It does not say the Sabbath was made for the Jew, but mankind. The seventh day is Yahshua’s Sabbath.

Bumping post.