• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

How does one determine, using the scientific method, that the earth is billions of years old?

iouae

Fish do not get wiped out by floods.
JR said... "We're not talking about normal floods though. We're talking about THE Flood. You know, the one that occurred on a global scale?
Meaning some things would have happened that don't normally happen."

I am a believer in THE Flood meaning the one Noah rescued mankind from.

And that is the only reason why THE Flood is a big deal.

In the grand scheme of things, it hardly registers in the geologic column. Why do I say that?

Because the same species continued after THE Flood as before the flood, with a few exceptions. So tiny a layer of sediment was laid down that I frankly have not been able to easily find it in the Geologic column, with a cursory search.

Thus life continues after the flood as before, with a tiny layer of sediment between the two, almost impossible to find.

And we know precisely which life continued as before. The plants and animals we see on earth today.

Palaeontology calls the time before and after THE Flood, or the age since Genesis 1:3 the Holocene or the Anthropogene, the "Age of Man."

"The Holocene Epoch
To observe a Holocene environment, simply look around you! The Holocene is the name given to the last 11,700 years* of the Earth's history — the time since the end of the last major glacial epoch, or "ice age." Since then, there have been small-scale climate shifts — notably the "Little Ice Age" between about 1200 and 1700 A.D. — but in general, the Holocene has been a relatively warm period in between ice ages.
Another name for the Holocene that is sometimes used is the Anthropogene, the "Age of Man." This is somewhat misleading: humans of our own subspecies, Homo sapiens, had evolved and dispersed all over the world well before the start of the Holocene. Yet the Holocene has witnessed all of humanity's recorded history and the rise and fall of all its civilizations."

Most scientists date this as having lasted 11,700 years but I believe it is closer to the 6000 years calculated by bishop Usher. The reason I believe they get it wrong is because there was less carbon 14 produced pre-flood, thus leading to carbon 14 dating inaccurately.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
In the grand scheme of things, it hardly registers in the geologic column.

Again, the "geologic column" itself was laid down by the flood.

You're literally missing the forest for the trees.

Why do I say that?

Because the same species continued after THE Flood as before the flood, with a few exceptions.

Yes, because "two of every kind" and "seven of some kinds" were brought onto the ark.

So tiny a layer of sediment was laid down that I frankly have not been able to easily find it in the Geologic column, with a cursory search.

Forest for the trees.

Thus life continues after the flood as before, with a tiny layer of sediment between the two, almost impossible to find.

It's not "a tiny layer of sediment contained within the geologic column." It's THE ENTIRE COLUMN.

And we know precisely which life continued as before.

Yes. ALL kinds continued. Some did not survive after, but many did.

The plants and animals we see on earth today.

Duh.

Palaeontology calls the time before and after THE Flood, or the age since Genesis 1:3 the Holocene or the Anthropogene, the "Age of Man."

"The Holocene Epoch
To observe a Holocene environment, simply look around you! The Holocene is the name given to the last 11,700 years* of the Earth's history — the time since the end of the last major glacial epoch, or "ice age." Since then, there have been small-scale climate shifts — notably the "Little Ice Age" between about 1200 and 1700 A.D. — but in general, the Holocene has been a relatively warm period in between ice ages.
Another name for the Holocene that is sometimes used is the Anthropogene, the "Age of Man." This is somewhat misleading: humans of our own subspecies, Homo sapiens, had evolved and dispersed all over the world well before the start of the Holocene. Yet the Holocene has witnessed all of humanity's recorded history and the rise and fall of all its civilizations."

Yawn.

Most scientists date this as having lasted 11,700 years but I believe it is closer to the 6000 years calculated by bishop Usher. The reason I believe they get it wrong is because there was less carbon 14 produced pre-flood, thus leading to carbon 14 dating inaccurately.

Most scientists are wrong.

I gave you a link that explains when the flood occurred. You've seemingly ignored it, just like you've ignored everything else I've said.

iouae

I gave you a link that explains when the flood occurred. You've seemingly ignored it, just like you've ignored everything else I've said.
I went to creation.com after watching your video because one huge problem immediately springs to mind. They said...

A second problem raised by Faulkner points out that Brown’s supercritical water jets emerging from underneath the granitic crust at a velocity of approximately Mach 150 would most likely heat the atmosphere too much to be viable:

HPT does have work to do to answer the criticisms that have been leveled at it.

Thus, assuming that only one millionth of the jet energy is thermalized to the atmosphere and that heat is distributed uniformly, we find an atmospheric temperature increase of 34 C. This is in addition to other heating mechanisms, such as from volcanic activity and the latent heat of vaporization from rainfall. This is an unrealistically high temperature increase, and it is doubtful that the energy transfer was this minimal. With more realistic energy transfer, it ought to be obvious that trying to pass this much matter through the earth’s atmosphere at such speed is not possible"

If so much hot water is being released, hot enough so that minerals remain separate just ready to solidify into rock on cooling, how could any aquatic life or Noah in his ark survive the heat of all this supercritical water flooding the oceans for over 100 days.

According to hydroplate theory the supercritical water was 374 to 450 degrees celsius (705-840F).
https://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/HydroplateOverview6.html#wp35577655
And there is enough of this super heated water to cover the highest mountain. Then there certainly is enough heat to boil all life on earth to death.

Yet marine life was supposedly unaffected by the flood and did not need anything done to save it according to the Bible.

They also talk of a 60 mile deep subterranean chamber in which this water was supposed to have been stored pre-flood. Water from aquifers today is at most a few hundred metres below the surface. How on earth did so much water get trapped 60 miles beneath the solid surface crust of the earth?

And this 60 mile thick piece of crust was supposed to have fluttered, creating sorting of fossils. Nuts I say.

And the moon causing tides to rise and fall today causes no noticeable sorting of animals or plants even if they are dead. So even if the tides were amplified, (supposedly200' tides) then any multiple times zero is still zero sorting. I saw no credibility to the sorting of fossils into the geologic column. Past, present and future animals of similar size have similar mass and would all be sorted together. But no, what do we find in the geologic column. Animals of all different sizes are fossilised together, big with small, ACCORDING TO THEIR GEOLOGICAL AGE not size.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I went to creation.com

Have you noticed that I haven't used creation.com at all yet?

after watching your video because one huge problem immediately springs to mind. They said...

I posted this image earlier for a reason, Vowels. It shows that even if the waters were hot, it would not have affected the earth as much as you think it would.

hpt-heat-BN-hands-butane.jpg

But here's the thing. As I said earlier, the fountains were EXTREMELY COLD. Not hot.

If so much hot water is being released, hot enough so that minerals remain separate just ready to solidify into rock on cooling, how could any aquatic life or Noah in his ark survive the heat of all this supercritical water flooding the oceans for over 100 days.

What happens to a fluid when it expands? And yes, I want you to answer this question. What happens?

According to hydroplate theory the supercritical water was 374 to 450 degrees celsius (705-840F).
https://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/HydroplateOverview6.html#wp35577655
And there is enough of this super heated water to cover the highest mountain. Then there certainly is enough heat to boil all life on earth to death.

Yes, supercritical water is very hot.

But the fountains were cold. I said so earlier, but you weren't paying attention, so you missed it. I even gave you a link that deals with the "heat problems" of the HPT.

Yet marine life was supposedly unaffected by the flood and did not need anything done to save it according to the Bible.

Marine life was certainly affected, but not to the point where they would have needed to be saved.

I'm going to rearrange the next 3 sentences of yours, because that way they'll be easier to address.

They also talk of a 60 mile deep subterranean chamber in which this water was supposed to have been stored pre-flood. . . . How on earth did so much water get trapped 60 miles beneath the solid surface crust of the earth?

Ah, you've hit upon the foundation of the HPT.

The answer is simple.

The earth was created with a subterannean chamber of water. In fact, about half of the water that was originally on the earth was originally stored there.

And the Bible says as much:

Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so.And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so.And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good. - Genesis 1:6-10 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis1:6-10&version=NKJV

bible-verses-uniquely-supportive-of-flood-models.jpg

Water from aquifers today is at most a few hundred metres below the surface.

Remember how I said that the Flood laid down sediments a mile deep? Yeah, I wasn't kidding about that.

And this 60 mile thick piece of crust was supposed to have fluttered,

Yes, rock acts like stiff putty at those scales.

creating sorting of fossils.

No, the fluttering of the crust isn't what sorted the fossils. It certainly contributed, but the sorting was caused by pressure differences and the flow of water in the sediments. This was explained in the video.

Nuts I say.

Appeal to the stone.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

And the moon causing tides to rise and fall today causes no noticeable sorting of animals or plants even if they are dead.

Uh, yeah, because there's no water or debris flowing through the sediments like there was in the flood.

Conditions are different (thankfully). Therefore you can't just say "I don't see it happening today, so therefore it must not have happened!"

That's an appeal to incredulity.

So even if the tides were amplified, (supposedly200' tides) then any multiple times zero is still zero sorting.

Supra.

I saw no credibility to the sorting of fossils into the geologic column. Past, present and future animals of similar size have similar mass and would all be sorted together. But no, what do we find in the geologic column. Animals of all different sizes are fossilised together, big with small, ACCORDING TO THEIR GEOLOGICAL AGE not size.

This is begging the question.

All of the animals in the geologic column are the same age, if HPT is true.

This was answered in the Part 3 video at 3:42.

It's not just "size." It's size, shape, and DENSITY. Liquefaction sorts things according to size and shape, but density has an influence that overcomes this "initial" (for lack of a better term) sorting.

And don't forget "liquefaction lensing."

Honestly, you SHOULD just watch the entire playlist, since only getting bits and pieces isn't going to help your understanding much.

Here's the link again:

(The first video in the playlist is all 6 parts combined, but doesn't include the videos on the other topics in the playlist. I recommend just starting from the Part 1 video and watching from there.)

iouae

But here's the thing. As I said earlier, the fountains were EXTREMELY COLD. Not hot.

What happens to a fluid when it expands? And yes, I want you to answer this question. What happens?

You are saying that when one lets gas out of a gas cylinder the nozzle gets cold.

But when you let hot water suddenly out of a pressure cooker, I doubt the nozzle of the pressure cooker gets cold due to the latent energy required to turn a liquid to a gas.

BUT to me what happens at the nozzle is utterly irrelevant for the following reason.

It takes 1 Calorie of energy to raise or lower 1l (1 kg) of water by 1 degree C.

So suppose you in a bath mix equal amount of cold water at 20C with same amount at 60C what the hot loses the cold gains so the bath ends up at the temp in the middle or (20 + 60)/2 = 40C

Now suppose half the water on earth is normal sea water at 20C and an equal amount of supercritical water at 400C is mixed together.
The final temp of the sea will be (20 + 400)/2 = 420/2 = 210C.

That is how the energy will be distributed. Obviously if the average temp of the water is 210C and water boils at 100C, the seas would quickly boil away. The atmosphere cannot absorb that heat or steam, and all life on earth would be steamed to death.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You are saying that when one lets gas out of a gas cylinder the nozzle gets cold.

Why does the nozzle get cold? Hint: I'm asking about what happens to a fluid when it expands.

The rest of your post is irrelevant (at least for now).

iouae

Why does the nozzle get cold? Hint: I'm asking about what happens to a fluid when it expands.

The rest of your post is irrelevant (at least for now).
When a liquid such as in a fridge is under pressure and that pressure is suddenly released, the liquid changes to a gas. In doing so it needs latent energy of vaporisation. This energy it draws from its surroundings, making the surroundings cool. This occurs inside the fridge.

Contrariwise, when the gas is compressed it loses latent energy of vaporisation in changing to a liquid, and has to give off this latent energy as heat at the back of the fridge.

But this is still irrelevant to hydroplate theory, since it only applies to the nozzle of where the supercritical water escapes.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When a liquid such as in a fridge is under pressure and that pressure is suddenly released, the liquid changes to a gas. In doing so it needs latent energy of vaporisation. This energy it draws from its surroundings, making the surroundings cool. This occurs inside the fridge.

Contrariwise, when the gas is compressed it loses latent energy of vaporisation in changing to a liquid, and has to give off this latent energy as heat at the back of the fridge.

But this is still irrelevant to hydroplate theory, since it only applies to the nozzle of where the supercritical water escapes.
The idea is this:

There are two jugs of water. One under the other. The lower one is compressed and heated until it ruptures, sending a whole lot of its contents into the sky.

When the dust settles, the temperature of the upper jug hasn't changed much, because the energy was converted to kinetic.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
When a liquid such as in a fridge is under pressure and that pressure is suddenly released, the liquid changes to a gas.

And what happens to the temperature of that fluid? Does it go up (get warmer)? Does it go down (get colder)? Does it stay the same?

In doing so it needs latent energy of vaporisation. This energy it draws from its surroundings, making the surroundings cool.

Huh, so there's a change that absorbs heat, yes?

This occurs inside the fridge.

Forget the refridgerator for a moment.

When you boil water in a kettle, and the water reaches the boiling point, what happens? The water vapor in the kettle comes out as steam.

Is the steam two feet away from the spout at the same temperature as the water inside the kettle? or is it cooler? or is it hotter?

But this is still irrelevant to hydroplate theory,

It is entirely relevant.

since it only applies to the nozzle of where the supercritical water escapes.

So you've never used a can of compressed air or butane refill?

What happens to the fluid in those containers when the fluid (which is under pressure) is released?

iouae

And what happens to the temperature of that fluid? Does it go up (get warmer)? Does it go down (get colder)? Does it stay the same?

Huh, so there's a change that absorbs heat, yes?

Forget the refridgerator for a moment.

When you boil water in a kettle, and the water reaches the boiling point, what happens? The water vapor in the kettle comes out as steam.

Is the steam two feet away from the spout at the same temperature as the water inside the kettle? or is it cooler? or is it hotter?

It is entirely relevant.

So you've never used a can of compressed air or butane refill?

What happens to the fluid in those containers when the fluid (which is under pressure) is released?

They use supercritical water to drill into rocks under water. When this hot supercritical water leaves the nozzle it does not cool. In fact the problem is it entrains or drags with it the cold water, thus cooling the cutting water and rendering it less effective.

So the answer in practice to all your above questions is that supercritical water in a watery environment stays hot unless the surrounding water cools it before it hits the rock it is meant to cut. There is no complaint that the water leaving the nozzle cools. See https://pangea.stanford.edu/ERE/pdf/IGAstandard/SGW/2012/Schuler.pdf

I read the creation.com site which said the supercritical water cools, and can be seen in the frozen dinosaurs. Does not.

Water boils at 100C. The steam at atmospheric pressure has the same temp of 100C. Why is this relevant.

And the butane cools as it leaves the can because it is changing phase from liquid to gas. Supercritical water is already hotter than 100C at 400C so it has lots of energy to draw on. And it is already in a partially gas phase, so it may already have absorbed latent heat and so would not cool when it leaves the nozzle.

Like I said practical experience with cutting with supercritical water show the water comes out super hot, not cold.

iouae

So let's get back to the real physics. In an isolated system like earth, the total energy before and after will be the same.

If you mix hot supercritical water 400C and mix it with the same amount of cold sea water at 20C, then the temp of the combined water will be 210C. Thus all the water on earth would turn to steam, killing all life. That is the real physics, forgetting about what happens at nozzles which is irrelevant. And I have shown that supercritical water leaving a nozzle still is super hot.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So let's get back to the real physics. In an isolated system like earth, the total energy before and after will be the same.

If you mix hot supercritical water 400C and mix it with the same amount of cold sea water at 20C, then the temp of the combined water will be 210C. Thus all the water on earth would turn to steam, killing all life. That is the real physics, forgetting about what happens at nozzles which is irrelevant. And I have shown that supercritical water leaving a nozzle still is super hot.
It's the expansion that causes the cooling.

A supercritical cutting device relies on delivering a stream that does not expand freely. Nozzle design is dedicated to providing as narrow a stream as possible to be an efficient cutting tool. The heat is a necessary byproduct of the unexpanded stream.

The physics of adiabatic cooling is real.

The fountains would have emerged cold.

iouae

It's the expansion that causes the cooling.

A supercritical cutting device relies on delivering a stream that does not expand freely. Nozzle design is dedicated to providing as narrow a stream as possible to be an efficient cutting tool. The heat is a necessary byproduct of the unexpanded stream.

The physics of adiabatic cooling is real.

The fountains would have emerged cold.
I don't believe it but then we are left with a frozen earth. But the energy in a closed system remains the same. Mix hot and cold water in equal proportions and they combined reach the temp in between of 210C. That is the real science. What happens at the nozzle is local and irrelevant.

But there is no way the released stream does not expand. So why is it not hot where it cuts and frozen all around.

iouae

Water at Ocean Vents Isn't Water—It's a Gas-Liquid Hybrid
You've heard about the freaky animals at ocean vents. Now check out the freaky water.

In the physical world, it sometimes seems that rules are made to be broken. Even the simplest principles can’t be taken at face value. Take water. A few molecules of H2O at normal atmospheric pressure are solid when below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, liquid between 32°F and 212°F, and gas when above 212°F. But this past August, when scientists reported observing water from a hydrothermal vent acting like a liquid and a gas simultaneously at 867°F, nature had thrown them for a loop. This was the first measurement of a phase transition–defying supercritical fluid.

It turns out the standard line about matter existing in three states—solid, liquid, and gas—is only part of the story. In extreme conditions—in this case, magma-heated water at an ocean depth of nearly 10,000 feet—things work a little differently. Any increase in temperature or pressure beyond a particular “critical point” (see the chart below) puts a material into the supercritical zone, “where the distinction between liquid and gas disappears,” says Virginia Tech polymer scientist Erdogan Kiran, who studies supercritical fluids.

Notice how supercritical water is ejected from ocean vents at 857F (458C). That is hot, not cold. And the water has expanded, causing heating not cooling.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
They use supercritical water to drill into rocks under water.

Yes, they do.

And what happens to it after it leaves the nozzle? It quickly becomes room temperature, and is no longer supercritical.

It cooled off.

When this hot supercritical water leaves the nozzle it does not cool.

Denying reality isn't healthy, Vowels.

Hot supercritical water does in fact cool when released from it's container.

Just like compressed air cools when it leaves the can.

Just like butane does when it leaves the can.

Just like water vapor does when it leaves the kettle.

This is a known fact of physics. When fluids expand, they cool, RAPIDLY.

That's why frost forms on the compressed air can and butane refill. That's why steam only a short distance from the whistler is cool, while the water inside the kettle is still boiling hot.

The same applies to the fountains of the great deep. A mile deep chamber of supercritical fluids (I say fluids because it wasn't just water, but minerals as well, and this is important), and its container ruptured, causing the fluids contained within to expand through the now 60 mile deep crack, forcing it to get wider and wider, literally ripping the crust apart like the seam on a baseball in the space of about 2 hours. If you have a fluid, even if it's in a supercritical state, expanding for 60 miles, it cools, RAPIDLY, to the point where the waters were so cold, they would have been frozen, if it weren't for the extremely high mineral content which lowered it's freezing point to well below what the temperature ended up as.

And because it's being launched straight upwards (directed energy), it doesn't just "expand outwards" easily, and is continued to be pushed upwards by the fluids beneath it, also being launched upwards, with enough energy to carry it into space, where it cools even further. Some of it falls back to earth, the rest of it becomes part of the debris we see scattered around the solar system.

This expanding fluid also erodes away the 60 mile tall cliff walls as they collapse (cliffs taller than 5 miles will collapse under their own weight, shearing off until it reaches a stable point). The debris from this would have been launched upwards along with the still expanding supercritical (though, not supercritical by the time it reaches the top of the crust.

In fact the problem is it entrains or drags with it the cold water, thus cooling the cutting water and rendering it less effective.

See Stripe's comment above.

So the answer in practice to all your above questions is that supercritical water in a watery environment stays hot unless the surrounding water cools it before it hits the rock it is meant to cut.

What makes you think I'm talking about the water in the chamber?

I've been talking about the fountains (and have said as much) for the past several posts.

What part of "the fountains of the great deep were cold" do you not understand?

There is no complaint that the water leaving the nozzle cools.

That's what I've been talking about, you nincompoop.

Maybe this will help you understand:

technicalnotes-rocket_science.gif

See https://pangea.stanford.edu/ERE/pdf/IGAstandard/SGW/2012/Schuler.pdf

I read the creation.com site which said the supercritical water cools,

Maybe instead of creation.com, you should go to hpt.rsr.org/onlinebook/ and read from there.

They're right. Supercritical water does cool. But only when it expands.

and can be seen in the frozen dinosaurs. Does not.

Does not what? Cool? Yes, it does, when it expands.

Water boils at 100C.

Yes, and?

The steam at atmospheric pressure has the same temp of 100C.

But it doesn't stay at that temperature unless it's contained.

Why is this relevant.

Because fluids cool when they expand.

The fountains of the great deep went from supercritical to subzero as they expanded through the crack in the crust, and continued expanding far into the atmosphere.

And the butane cools as it leaves the can because it is changing phase from liquid to gas.

And supercritical fluids cool as they leave the subterannean chamber because it is changing phase from supercritical to gaseous liquid to nearly frozen slush with an extremely high mineral content.

Supercritical water is already hotter than 100C at 400C so it has lots of energy to draw on.

Correct. See the image above.

And it is already in a partially gas phase, so it may already have absorbed latent heat and so would not cool when it leaves the nozzle.

So you're saying that a hot fluid will not cool when it expands?

You're disagreeing with the laws of physics at this point, so there's not much more I can say.

Like I said practical experience with cutting with supercritical water show the water comes out super hot, not cold.

As Stripe said, they intentionally design the nozzles so that the water is as hot as possible when it comes out.

The cracks in the crust of the earth were not designed that way, or at all, for that matter, and would have gotten wider and wider as time went on, allowing for more and more expansion of the fluids being released.

I don't believe it

Facts don't care about your feelings.

but then we are left with a frozen earth.

What?

But the energy in a closed system remains the same. Mix hot and cold water in equal proportions and they combined reach the temp in between of 210C. That is the real science. What happens at the nozzle is local and irrelevant.

See the above image.

But there is no way the released stream does not expand. So why is it not hot where it cuts and frozen all around.

What are you even talking about at this point?

Water at Ocean Vents Isn't Water—It's a Gas-Liquid Hybrid
You've heard about the freaky animals at ocean vents. Now check out the freaky water.

In the physical world, it sometimes seems that rules are made to be broken. Even the simplest principles can’t be taken at face value. Take water. A few molecules of H2O at normal atmospheric pressure are solid when below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, liquid between 32°F and 212°F, and gas when above 212°F. But this past August, when scientists reported observing water from a hydrothermal vent acting like a liquid and a gas simultaneously at 867°F, nature had thrown them for a loop. This was the first measurement of a phase transition–defying supercritical fluid.

It turns out the standard line about matter existing in three states—solid, liquid, and gas—is only part of the story. In extreme conditions—in this case, magma-heated water at an ocean depth of nearly 10,000 feet—things work a little differently. Any increase in temperature or pressure beyond a particular “critical point” (see the chart below) puts a material into the supercritical zone, “where the distinction between liquid and gas disappears,” says Virginia Tech polymer scientist Erdogan Kiran, who studies supercritical fluids.

Notice how supercritical water is ejected from ocean vents at 857F (458C). That is hot, not cold. And the water has expanded, causing heating not cooling.

It's still in the process of expanding. That's why it's being ejected through those vents.

You seem to be avoiding the point we're making, Vowels.

The point being that extremely hot pressurized fluids being released causes them to become cold, and if they have nowhere to go but upwards through the crust from their subterannean chamber, they will continue expanding until they reach equilibrium, both in pressure and temperature.

In other words...

There are at least twelve different factors that you haven't even come close to addressing that reduce heat:

Twelve Factors Help to Answer Flood Heat Objections: This list provides a roadmap for the listener to know where we will be headed over the next few episodes as we evaluate the heat consequences of the hydroplate theory. (Italics indicates material added after the series ended.)

1. Fluids cool rapidly as they expand (as in from below the crust to the surface) as well described by the Joule-Thomson effect.
2. Directed energy comprised of molecules with great momentum strongly resists change in direction.
3. Boundary conditions, rather than total amount of heat, determine how much will transfer, e.g., to the atmosphere or ocean.
4. Water that is supercritical (its state in the subterranean chamber, and unlike liquid water at Earth's surface) is highly compressible and at sixty miles deep it was compressed by pressure greater than 370,000 lbs per square inch.
5. Understanding the behavior of supercritical water helps to quantify the heat of the fountains including that as it enormously expands to reach the 15 ppsi at Earth's surface the formerly SCW has cooled tremendously according to the slope defined by the Clausius-Clapeyron relation.
6. Outer space functions as a virtually infinite heat "sink" radiating away (cooling) the fountains most energetic water and debris (including much of the heat generated by friction as many water molecules and some debris falls back through Earth's atmosphere); as most of the large (and sometimes hot) solids were ejected into space.
7. Air is a great insulator [like home insulation and Thinsulate].
8. Z-pinch (crustal lightning making heavier nuclei including dangerous radioactive elements like uranium and thorium) is adiabatic (i.e, it doesn't produce heat) and is even called cold repacking.
9. Time, even the duration of weeks and months (or years and even a few centuries of aftermath effects), can allow for the dissipation of large quantities of energy that would otherwise melt more of the Earth than actually did melt.
10. Estimates provided by critics trying to falsify the hydroplate theory can be shown to stop suddenly short of affirming the hydroplate.
11. Forty days and nights (especially the nights) of torrential rain brought massive quantities of supercooled hail down onto the Earth.
12. The specific heat of water (i.e., a watched pot never boils), also called its heat capacity, is higher than any other common substance enabling the surface waters to absorb a tremendous amount of energy while raising its temperature minimally.
13. Greater albedo (reflectivity) of the Earth from increased cloud cover would have significantly reduced incoming solar energy (and reflected away heat radiating earthward from debris falling through the upper atmosphere).​

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't believe it

You don't believe what? An established physical property of fluids? The second law of thermodynamics?

but then we are left with a frozen earth.

Nope. Some very large dumps of cold water, certainly, but not a frozen Earth. Even if all the water had frozen, it wouldn't freeze the planet.

But the energy in a closed system remains the same.
Exactly. Where does the kinetic energy come from in a fountain caused by the release of pressure built up by boiling water? From the heat.

Mix hot and cold water in equal proportions and they combined reach the temp in between of 210C. That is the real science.
Mix cold and colder water and you get cold water. What happens at the nozzle is local and irrelevant. It is the expansion that causes the cooling.

Seriously, google "adiabatic cooling."

It is hot "where it cuts." It is hot before it expands. It does "freeze" when it expands. It does cool to below freezing.

However, all that energy went somewhere. All that movent should be a clue. The energy went primarily to kinetic.

iouae

I am not going to argue about supercritical water any more because if it floats your boat, then by all means believe in it. I have stated my objections. And water for Noah's flood had to come from somewhere. Maybe the deep ocean crevices were uplifted.

I don't for a second believe that hydroplate theory has any proof that it can sort at all. Brown chose a fairly inaccessible and unknown substance (supercritical water) and then attributed it with all kinds of superpowers including freezing mammoths and sorting fossils. He might as well have added it made tea for Noah while whistling Dixie.

There are many layers in the geologic column that suggest causes other than a flood wiped out the biota. For instance the evidence for the dinos being wiped out by a comet which left impact crater, nano-diamonds, iridium et.

The megafauna which immediately preceeded the creation of Adam, including Clovis culture or early American hunter gatherer culture, seemed to be wiped out by a fire, since there is a black mat which covers 50 Clovis culture sites. This thin layer of carbon rich, burnt material somehow ended the pre-Adamic world and left earth without form and void in a kind of nuclear winter. There was also a flood at this time because God had to uplift the land on Day 3. And the flood water would have solidified and fossilised this layer of burnt organic matter or "black mat".

God has a long track record of ending things and beginning again, which is what I see the geologic column as saying.

Genesis 1:2 begins with mass destruction leaving earth without form and void.
Then God repents of making mankind and institutes the Noah flood.
Then at Christ's return there is another mass extinction as described in Revelation.
Then after the millennium there is another mass extinction by fire engulfing the earth.

2Pe 3:12
Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Then God ended the Old Covenant and instituted the new.
And God told Moses, step aside and let me destroy these pesky Israelites and make your descendants into my new favourite people.

If 4 mass extinctions in 7000 years don't tell you something about how God operates, then just look at the geologic column to see that this is continued into the 500 million years that life has been on earth.

Death did not start with one man (er woman).
Death for modern man started with one man (er woman).
Death and predation and parasites litter the fossil record.
The world was fallen from the Cambrian explosion.
But it was and always has also been magnificent and diverse.
We see the goodness and severity of God in the rocks.

The idea that earth is somehow fallen and now in an unusual state is just the result of bad reading of Paul.

Earth is only bad by comparison with how it will be after the new heavens and earth (that is why the whole creation groans).
But God Himself saw what He created that it was good, and He did not mess it up after Adam sinned. Instead he simply booted Adam out of Eden which was like God's back yard, nice and tame. But out there the world was already full of thorns. God did not create thorns after Adam sinned. Thorns and thorny animals have been around forever.

According to you all, God sent Adam and Eve and Cain out into Jurassic Park. Cain should not have been worried about some person finding him, but T rex finding him. Yet I know there were no dinos around then since the fossil record shows no use by humans of dinosaur bones etc. AND folks pre-flood lived to nearly 1000 years without exception. With dinosaurs roaming earth they would not have lived for 1000 days.

Last edited: