How does God Provide?

bwood

If open theists believe God can't know the future, then the common Christian refrain, "this didn't take God by surprise" upon any bad thing happening (the pandemic, for example) is wrong.

I think most Christians would then say this really isn't a God I can depend on for my needs because he is quite possibly up there wondering, "what next?" just as we are.

As such, how does he provide? Are we completely in his care, just that he's constantly adjusting to meet circumstances?

OZOS

If open theists believe God can't know the future, then the common Christian refrain, "this didn't take God by surprise" upon any bad thing happening (the pandemic, for example) is wrong.

I think most Christians would then say this really isn't a God I can depend on for my needs because he is quite possibly up there wondering, "what next?" just as we are.

As such, how does he provide? Are we completely in his care, just that he's constantly adjusting to meet circumstances?
What "needs" are those?

Bradley D

They do not believe in prophecy/Book of Revelation.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

God is a God we can depend on, because He laid down His life for us.

God can use the wicked to bring about His purposes.

bwood

Still can't reply, so this is reply to this post copied below.

bwood said:

===========================

My question isn't actually that he is willing, but more how this would logically be possible. For instance, let's assume God wants to prosper me. I'm praying for wisdom in decisions, he's answering by guiding me. In order to guide me, if he doesn't know the future, how can he be effective? He could guide me to start some business, but if he doesn't know how that business will turn out, he may simply end up frustrated at his efforts.
Would the open theist reply that since God knows all that is possible to know, he would simply be relying on his wisdom? But even perfect wisdom isn't foolproof, right?

Derf

Still can't reply, so this is reply to this post copied below.

===========================

My question isn't actually that he is willing, but more how this would logically be possible. For instance, let's assume God wants to prosper me. I'm praying for wisdom in decisions, he's answering by guiding me. In order to guide me, if he doesn't know the future, how can he be effective? He could guide me to start some business, but if he doesn't know how that business will turn out, he may simply end up frustrated at his efforts.
Would the open theist reply that since God knows all that is possible to know, he would simply be relying on his wisdom? But even perfect wisdom isn't foolproof, right?
If God creates the future based on what we do, then He doesn’t need to know the future ahead of time.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
My question isn't actually that he is willing, but more how this would logically be possible. For instance, let's assume God wants to prosper me. I'm praying for wisdom in decisions, he's answering by guiding me. In order to guide me, if he doesn't know the future, how can he be effective?

He can be effective because He is omnicompetent.

To use a chess analogy, God isn't controlling all the pieces on the chessboard and His opponent directly (as Determinism would have you believe).

He's simply smart enough to win every match despite his opponent's moves.

He could guide me to start some business, but if he doesn't know how that business will turn out, he may simply end up frustrated at his efforts.

Why would God be frustrated? If He guides you to start a business, and you start a business, wouldn't that be a success, regardless if it fails or not?

I think you're assuming God gives us things to do that are beyond our capabilities as individuals. I don't think He does that at all, and if a person fails, it's not because He wanted them to fail, but because we, being imperfect, CAN fail, due to any number of reasons.

See the chess analogy above.