How do you take the bible

katiecrna

So I am going through a time in my life where I am re-evaluating things and trying to be the best Christian I can be. And I am right now trying to figure out how I interpret the bible.
So how I have been doing it is...
Taking the Old Testament as little to do with today and how I live my life. I see it as history that sets you up for Jesus, who obviously is the "main event" If you will. So I obviously believe that Jesus is God, that came down in human form to be an example of how we should live our lives. I know the bible is written by many people, but for me... When I read the gospels and i read what Jesus is quoted to say, to me what he says trumps what everyone else says bc after all it's God speaking. I don't believe that everything in the bible is true and should be followed bc j believe man made it and man is sinned and I'm sure some of those people have their own opinions and such, especially when it's the first time your reading it.

I'm just curious, how does everyone else read and interpret the bible? Do you take what Peter says as strongly and as equally as what Jesus says for example?

iamaberean

So I am going through a time in my life where I am re-evaluating things and trying to be the best Christian I can be. And I am right now trying to figure out how I interpret the bible.
Taking the Old Testament as little to do with today and how I live my life. I see it as history that sets you up for Jesus, who obviously is the "main event" If you will. So I obviously believe that Jesus is God, that came down in human form to be an example of how we should live our lives. I know the bible is written by many people, but for me... When I read the gospels and i read what Jesus is quoted to say, to me what he says trumps what everyone else says bc after all it's God speaking. I don't believe that everything in the bible is true and should be followed bc j believe man made it and man is sinned and I'm sure some of those people have their own opinions and such, especially when it's the first time your reading it.

I'm just curious, how does everyone else read and interpret the bible? Do you take what Peter says as strongly and as equally as what Jesus says for example?

The bible is God's word, every bit of it. In it's original form man wrote what God told them to write. Interpretation of the original, I have found to have been done very well.

How to understand it:

1. The Old Testament was written to the Jews, as God's chosen people. It was for them and to them. Read it that way and let it give you understanding.

2. The four Gospels is about the Jew's Messiah, Jesus, coming to them to proclaim the last days and judgment that was about to come upon them within their life time. Read it that way to give you understanding.

3. The Epistles were written to the early churches, primarily Jewish, not to you or I. Read it that way to give you understanding.

4. The book or Revelation was given to John as the final years (less than 5) about judgment. It is not judgment coming to the church but to the Jews. Read it that way for understanding.

5. Every important item in the bible has more than one scripture about that particular thing. If you don't have an e-bible, get one so you can search the scriptures for complete understanding.

katiecrna

[MENTION=17976]katiecrna[/MENTION],

Do you attend church anywhere?

I do attend church. However when I was in college (Wesleyan), I was taught something really important by one of my bible teachers that stuck with me. And that was to listen to know one. Not even your pastor. And to hear what people say, then to go by yourself and read and study the bible and determine what you believe in. And I personally think that is the best advice.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

3. The Epistles were written to the early churches, primarily Jewish, not to you or I. Read it that way to give you understanding.

Some of Paul's epistles are certainly for us, you just gave terrible advice. Paul teaches things that were told to him by the Risen Christ, it's new information for salvation that was given to Paul first by revelation of The Lord Jesus Christ.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Ephesians is written directly to you. Go read it right now, it will take less than a hour

theophilus

I do attend church. However when I was in college (Wesleyan), I was taught something really important by one of my bible teachers that stuck with me. And that was to listen to know one. Not even your pastor. And to hear what people say, then to go by yourself and read and study the bible and determine what you believe in. And I personally think that is the best advice.

And what if that bible teacher was wrong?

Last edited:

katiecrna

On what basis do you determine which of the bible verses are true and which of the bible verses are not true?

It's not about being true vs untrue. I think that it's more about what's important to God himself vs what's important to Peter for example.
I'm just saying if there are 4 books written by 4 different people, and if their stories and recollections of what Jesus say match up... Then I would say that is probably what Jesus actually said.

As for the Old Testament... It's not that I don't think that's true, but I don't think it's important for how I should live my life today.

I just think that what Jesus says... Is what is ultimately important.

katiecrna

I take the Old Testament contextual. That was a different time and culture that doesn't translate to today and therefore rules and law don't apply to today.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you think the Old Testament laws should be applied to today and how you live?

I didn't say that;

Hebrews 8:13 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's not about being true vs untrue. I think that it's more about what's important to God himself vs what's important to Peter for example.
I'm just saying if there are 4 books written by 4 different people, and if their stories and recollections of what Jesus say match up... Then I would say that is probably what Jesus actually said.

As for the Old Testament... It's not that I don't think that's true, but I don't think it's important for how I should live my life today.

I just think that what Jesus says... Is what is ultimately important.
You might want to find a better way to state what you mean.

Jesus said a lot of things that do not apply to what you should do.

For example:
Matthew 16 KJV​
(20) Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.​

Matthew 10 KJV​
(5) These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:​

As with all scripture, you have to determine who is being spoken to, at what time period, and whether what is said applies to you today.