How do GMO foods harm us?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I was watching TV the other night and there was an for a product. The add made it clear that the product had no GMO ingredients. So it set me to wondering, How do GMO foods hurt the human body? Do they hurt the environment?

If you are opposed to GMO foods can you please explain what your specific objections are and how you arrived at your conclusions.

genuineoriginal

I was watching TV the other night and there was an for a product. The add made it clear that the product had no GMO ingredients. So it set me to wondering, How do GMO foods hurt the human body? Do they hurt the environment?

If you are opposed to GMO foods can you please explain what your specific objections are and how you arrived at your conclusions.
It might help to speculate on why God gave this command and how it applies to GMO plants:

Leviticus 19:19
19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.​

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It might help to speculate on why God gave this command and how it applies to GMO plants:

Leviticus 19:19
19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.​

Given that I am a Christian and not a Jew, that answer is way less than helpful. Care to try to actually respond to the question that was actually asked?

genuineoriginal

Given that I am a Christian and not a Jew, that answer is way less than helpful.
Are you calling God stupid, or are you saying that Christians should be ignorant?

Care to try to actually respond to the question that was actually asked?
I did, but you chose to not do any speculation on the commandment.

_____
Killer Seeds — the GMO Story and the Torah

What does the Torah have to say about genetically modified organisms (GMO) or foods? Leviticus 19:19 addresses the issue. The type of genetic modification of plants and animals that we’re concerned about is that of forcing the DNA of one species into that of another. In reality, it’s a form of man-induced macro evolution where one species takes on the characteristics of another species. Micro-evolution is a natural phenomenon that occurs between like plant and animal species (e.g., diverse kinds of cats, apples, palm trees).This can occur through naturally (called adaptation) and through the human-induced processes of hybridization. This isn’t a bad thing, in most cases. However, there are no examples of macro-evolution in the creation despite evolutionists’ best efforts to prove otherwise. Evolutionists have failed to find the missing links between monkeys and men, or lizards and birds, or slime and amphibians — at least not until genetic engineering came along. Now they can create the missing link. This is not only an affront to the Creator, and goes contrary to the Bible, but it’s the opening of a Pandora’s box of all sorts of unintended evil consequences where man is playing God, while not knowing what the consequences will be.

The ancient biblical writings are amazingly prescient on this issue when the Torah forbids the mixing of dissimilar species (such as seeds and animal species), which were separated in the creation by Elohim, and that he established to reproduce after their own kind.

The Creator simply commands men not to mix diverse kinds (species) without giving the reasons. We are to assume that he knows best whether we understand the technical reasons or not.

Since the recent emergence of the science of genetic engineering and the negative consequences of some aspects of it, perhaps the Creator’s prohibitions against mixing dissimilar species now makes more sense. . .
_____​

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Are you calling God stupid, or are you saying that Christians should be ignorant?
I'm saying I am not subject to judgement under Mosaic law.

I did, but you chose to not do any speculation on the commandment.
_____
Killer Seeds — the GMO Story and the Torah

What does the Torah have to say about genetically modified organisms (GMO) or foods? Leviticus 19:19 addresses the issue. The type of genetic modification of plants and animals that we’re concerned about is that of forcing the DNA of one species into that of another. In reality, it’s a form of man-induced macro evolution where one species takes on the characteristics of another species. Micro-evolution is a natural phenomenon that occurs between like plant and animal species (e.g., diverse kinds of cats, apples, palm trees).This can occur through naturally (called adaptation) and through the human-induced processes of hybridization. This isn’t a bad thing, in most cases. However, there are no examples of macro-evolution in the creation despite evolutionists’ best efforts to prove otherwise. Evolutionists have failed to find the missing links between monkeys and men, or lizards and birds, or slime and amphibians — at least not until genetic engineering came along. Now they can create the missing link. This is not only an affront to the Creator, and goes contrary to the Bible, but it’s the opening of a Pandora’s box of all sorts of unintended evil consequences where man is playing God, while not knowing what the consequences will be.

The ancient biblical writings are amazingly prescient on this issue when the Torah forbids the mixing of dissimilar species (such as seeds and animal species), which were separated in the creation by Elohim, and that he established to reproduce after their own kind.

The Creator simply commands men not to mix diverse kinds (species) without giving the reasons. We are to assume that he knows best whether we understand the technical reasons or not.

Since the recent emergence of the science of genetic engineering and the negative consequences of some aspects of it, perhaps the Creator’s prohibitions against mixing dissimilar species now makes more sense. . .
_____​
Alrighty then. Thanks for dropping by.

genuineoriginal

I'm saying I am not subject to judgement under Mosaic law.
The verse I quoted has nothing to do with the judgment, but everything to do with diseases.

Exodus 15:26
26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that healeth thee.​

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
The verse I quoted has nothing to do with the judgment, but everything to do with diseases.

Exodus 15:26
26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that healeth thee.​

You do understand the GMO seeds have greatly increased production and helped reduce famine, right?

genuineoriginal

You do understand the GMO seeds have greatly increased production and helped reduce famine, right?

You do understand that GMO seeds were created in order to have a patent that could be enforced so farmers would have to buy seeds every year instead of being able to use the seeds produced by the plants they grow, right?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The biggest reason I have for not using GMO foods/seeds/etc is that I know what's in my food and I know where my food is coming from. I buy from local farmers and the butcher shop in town, if I don't grow/raise my own food, with the exception of milk.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You do understand that GMO seeds were created in order to have a patent that could be enforced so farmers would have to buy seeds every year instead of being able to use the seeds produced by the plants they grow, right?

That is the unfortunate dark side of capitalism and yes I know. I also know that GMO seeds have greatly increased production that has helped the starving. And, ironically, hurt the farmers.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
The biggest reason I have for not using GMO foods/seeds/etc is that I know what's in my food and I know where my food is coming from. I buy from local farmers and the butcher shop in town, if I don't grow/raise my own food, with the exception of milk.

But why? What is it about GMO foods that you don't trust.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

I thought that the controversy depended upon that it is new, and so we don't have decades of data and information to prove its safety. I don't avoid it, and I don't seek it out, and the jury's still out on it.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But why? What is it about GMO foods that you don't trust.
I grew up on a farm, mostly. I was taught that one should provide for themselves and their family. Why should I step away from that and trust what someone else tells me? I eat the way I do and feed my family the way I do because that's what I was taught. I would rather know how to take care of myself and my family, just in case, than to depend on someone I don't know to feed me and/or my family.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

What is GMO ?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no "darkside" to capitalism. If it brings about seedless grapes, then I am all for it. And bring back the DDT too.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
There is no "darkside" to capitalism. If it brings about seedless grapes, then I am all for it. And bring back the DDT too.
Are seedless fruit GMO? I thought it was breeding, like cattle and dogs with desirable traits.

Myself I don't know why anybody'd need anything other than a Hereford for their beef needs (and we all have those needs), but, as you say, capitalism. :idunno:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Of course there is. Profit at all costs leads to Monsanto seeing farmers and scams like Bernie M.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Profit at all costs is not capitalism or free markets. In fact, a rigged system of you being forced a price without competition is the opposite of a free market(competition).