Homeschooling vs. Public Schooling

Caledvwlch

monochrome said:
I followed a very strict pattern for completing algebra while in Homeschool. I stole the answer key, and faked every few answers to make it look like I wasn't perfect. Then I took classes in highschool where I couldn't cheat and failed miserably. Guess that'll teach me to not steal the answer key...

- m -
Or simply not to take Algebra

beanieboy

Christine said:
:think: I don't know. I don't have a problem "dealing with other kids" as your quote says. I struggle with some subjects, but even those struggles aren't a huge problem.

Hmm.
How about this - is it hard to stay disciplined when you are studying home school?

beanieboy

ShadowMaid said:
Hmm... the hardest thing about homeschooling is trying to teach yourself. It's much more fun with a parent, or even a sibling.

My family isn't exactly social, but if we were, we wouldn't have a problem. :)

Wait. You teach yourself???
Really??

Wow. I'm impressed!
For a kid, honestly, that's really impressive. (Most kids hate school.)

monochrome

Caledvwlch said:
Of course, I'm just being dumb. I actually did fine in algebra, but my boy mono wasn't quite as fortunate.

Algebra is the language of the damned in my book. My mathematical shortcomings had nothing to do with my own laziness, I assure you.

- m -

Elaine

Um...that's what lots of homeschooled kids do. After all, if you don't keep up well enough on your own, your parents just have to step in and encourage/push you. :)

Edit: This was in response to Beanieboy's post about self-teaching.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
Hmm.
How about this - is it hard to stay disciplined when you are studying home school?

It can be, especially when a subject is difficult and you're feeling restless. You don't exactly need a hall pass, as it were.

TheSearcher

BANNED
Banned
Its not just the classroom, its interaction. Kids need it. They need to know how to act in social enviorments. Prime example, South Park, any one see the episode with the home school kids? Perfect example, all beit a little over blown. Young people do need to have social interaction with people their own age and older. They need it to survive in the real world.

ShadowMaid

TheSearcher said:
Its not just the classroom, its interaction. Kids need it. They need to know how to act in social enviorments. Prime example, South Park, any one see the episode with the home school kids? Perfect example, all beit a little over blown. Young people do need to have social interaction with people their own age and older. They need it to survive in the real world.

Hmm, this is a very common misconception. Homeschoolers are not socially drained.

As a matter of fact, they often get along very well with children their age, younger children, and older adults.

And they know how to survive in the real world. :)

Elaine

TheSearcher said:
Searcher,

I think the point that several homeschoolers have been trying to make on this thread is that homeschooled kids get plenty of socialization without going to public school. Also, I think someone mentioned that homeschooled kids get more interaction with adults, as opposed to primarily being around kids their own age.

Last edited:

JoyfulRook

TheSearcher said:
Its not just the classroom, its interaction. Kids need it.
Never said they didn't. Did you miss the first bullet in the article?
Prime example, South Park, any one see the episode with the home school kids? Perfect example, all beit a little over blown.
You are quoting an explicit animated "comedy" to prove your point? I would have been more impressed to see you quote the Simpsons (and that's not saying much).
Young people do need to have social interaction with people their own age and older. They need it to survive in the real world.
That's why Homeschooling is so great!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Searcher-
You missed the point. Homeschooled kids do get social interaction. With kids their own age, and older and younger kids as well. Not to mention the interaction with adults.

Speaking of teaching yourself, I had to teach myself when I got into public school. But at some point, when I realized no one else cared, I got lazy. And yet, I can still teach myself things. And I graduated, mostly on remembering what I learned.

Jeremiah85

TheSearcher said:
I don't know about the other homeschoolers here, but my homeschool group has had many group activities such as bowling, 4-H, Boy Scouts, swimming, field trips, co-op classes, and other assorted social activities. Most homeschoolers in my group are liked by their peers and get along very well with those who are older than them. I, personally have done very well in the real world.

TheSearcher

BANNED
Banned
Im not saying that kids are social backward, coming from being home schooled, I get along great. I can interact with adults fine, but when I did get into a classroom, I found myself at a loss on how to deal with kids my own age. This is not true of all kids. Some get along better then others, the others are just socialy inept. I apologize if my point was taken out of context.

Christine

TheSearcher said:
Im not saying that kids are social backward, coming from being home schooled, I get along great. I can interact with adults fine, but when I did get into a classroom, I found myself at a loss on how to deal with kids my own age. This is not true of all kids. Some get along better then others, the others are just socialy inept. I apologize if my point was taken out of context.

Searcher,
You say nothing of your educational background, so I'm assuming you went to public school (correct me if I'm wrong). If so, then you are admitting that public schoolers, despite all their "social interaction" still can have social difficulties. If what your saying is true, then, socially, you just proved homeschoolers are better off than public schoolers.

FYI: I'm a homeschooled senior, been homeschooled all my life, but I have taken some classroom courses through our local homeschool co-op. I had no difficulty adjusting to classroom learning. :)

TheSearcher

BANNED
Banned
Your wrong. Was home schooled and then Christian school. Never said they werent. But I still believe that kids need the social interaction.