Homeschoolers?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
pastorkevin said:
How many other homeschoolers are there out there?
:wave: Been homeschooling for almost ten years now. There are quite a few more of us here too. :)

Locke

why do you homeschool

do you live far away from the local school.

and do u send them to school at any time, how do they get their social interation with other kids, build bonds and friendships.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Locke said:
why do you homeschool

and do u send them to school at any time, how do they get their social interation with other kids, build bonds and friendships.
What better thread than this one to debate this?

Are you telling me that putting your child in a temperature controlled box for multiple hours a day around others of their same age yet different learning abilities is the proper environment for 'social interaction'?

You are misled.

Homeschooling doesn't have to be an empty minded, boxed-in structure, where the children are pushed through virtual corridors for 6-8 hours a day with a schedule that is kept militarily. This structure induces boredom and stifles creativity. It's an environment where rote is the plan, memory is king, and information is retained just long enough to make it to the next turn in the corridor.

Rather, the loving parent will homeschool their children in every possible experience that life can throw at them. At home, they are not sheltered from the world in a daily box where even playtime is designed around just their age group. Instead, they are given experiences that will shape them for life as they deal with people of all ages on a regular basis at the hardware store, the nursing home visit, the farmer's market, the flea market, the thrift store, their own siblings of varying ages, abilities and qualities. The occasional visit from the plumber, the UPS deliveryman, the trip to the Post Office, and so on, gives them high occasion to see the world in action, and helps prepare them for what the real world is actually like, and not a "Now Timmy, those boys are trouble..." educational video at school on a pull-down screen.

Adambassador

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Locke said:
why do you homeschool

I started homeschooling my daughter because a public school teacher, basically, told me that if I couldn't teach her to slow down on her learning that I should homeschool her. Now, we homeschool because she knows that she learns faster than the teachers want to teach her. And, she chooses to be homeschooled now.

Not so far that she couldn't take a bus (give or take five miles). But, that's got nothing to do with why we homeschool. And, I wouldn't send her to our local school if I was paid to. Several parents of students at the local school have told me that our local school is the worst in the state.

Well, she's in eleventh grade this year. She had two years of private school in kindergarten and first grade, two weeks of public school in second grade (thank you for the suggestion, Mrs. S), two full years of homeschooling before my husband passed away in 1999, a semester of public school in the fourth grade in 1999, a year and a half of homeschooling, a semester of private school in the sixth grade when I taught Spanish, and almost five and a half years straight of homeschooling now.

We do not mess with the public school here at all. School is for learning, not socialization. But, my daughter has no problem socializing. She has friends in the neighborhood, friends at church, about five or six "adopted grandparents", and friends from the interenet. She's decided to hold off a little while on dating, although she does like our pastor's son.

She's already been offered a scholarship to college, based solely on the fact that she's homeschooled. If she scores well on her ACT this spring, she will get a four-year free ride to college.

Locke

Before i make comments on ur post i have a few more questions about home schooling.

How many years does the child stay in home school. do you do lower school then the kid goes to high school.

what is the ciricular that you follow.

Parts of the school system are really military like, an part of the school system needs to change. However does the child receive academic quality and completeness from being home schooled. Do they have the ability to go to college or university and study chemistry or economics. After being homeschooled.

Socialization with the world is a good point but how about socialization with their peers of different ethnic and religios backgrounds. Do they receive this. Childern that go to school also can have interaction with all the people you listed once they come home from school.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Locke said:
Before i make comments on ur post i have a few more questions about home schooling.

How many years does the child stay in home school. do you do lower school then the kid goes to high school.

Childhood education lasts thirteen years, in the US. It starts around age five and then goes on to around age eighteen (some leeway on either end of the age spectrum and some kids take more or less than thirteen years). High school consists of grades nine through twelve and elementary school consists of grades kindergarten through eight.

what is the ciricular that you follow.

Personally, I prefer Bob Jones curriculum. But, there is no set-in-stone curriculum anywhere in the US, not even in the public schools. Let's just say that my daughter's getting a well-rounded education.

Parts of the school system are really military like, an part of the school system needs to change. However does the child receive academic quality and completeness from being home schooled. Do they have the ability to go to college or university and study chemistry or economics. After being homeschooled.

Whatever I haven't been able to teach my daughter, I've hired someone to teach her. According to testing, my daughter was academically ready for college when she was in the sixth grade.

Socialization with the world is a good point but how about socialization with their peers of different ethnic and religios backgrounds. Do they receive this. Childern that go to school also can have interaction with all the people you listed once they come home from school.

The social structure in schools is unrealistic and does not prepare children for real life. There is no career where a person (adult, that is) is going to spend eight hours a day, one hundred eighty days a year, with the same thirty or more people of the same age group for thirteen years straight. That is why my daughter has learned to socialize with all age groups, from all socio-economic backgrounds. She's very good with younger children and can talk like crazy to her own age group and knows how to speak respectfully to adults. For her, homeschooling has been the best choice.

PKevman

ebenz47037 said:
Childhood education lasts thirteen years, in the US. It starts around age five and then goes on to around age eighteen (some leeway on either end of the age spectrum and some kids take more or less than thirteen years). High school consists of grades nine through twelve and elementary school consists of grades kindergarten through eight.

Personally, I prefer Bob Jones curriculum. But, there is no set-in-stone curriculum anywhere in the US, not even in the public schools. Let's just say that my daughter's getting a well-rounded education.

Whatever I haven't been able to teach my daughter, I've hired someone to teach her. According to testing, my daughter was academically ready for college when she was in the sixth grade.

The social structure in schools is unrealistic and does not prepare children for real life. There is no career where a person (adult, that is) is going to spend eight hours a day, one hundred eighty days a year, with the same thirty or more people of the same age group for thirteen years straight. That is why my daughter has learned to socialize with all age groups, from all socio-economic backgrounds. She's very good with younger children and can talk like crazy to her own age group and knows how to speak respectfully to adults. For her, homeschooling has been the best choice.

:up: you took the words right out of my mouth!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
pastorkevin said:
:up: you took the words right out of my mouth!

Thank you, Pastor Kevin. As you can see, homeschooling is a topic near and dear to my heart and life. :)

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Homeschooling for 4 years now :)

Replies to Locke:
Why? Because I promised myself back when I went to PS I'd never do that to any kids I ever had. We tried private school, and found it wan't much better.

How long? Until she is through her senior year, how ever long that may take. Maybe 10, 11, or 12 years. While she isn't too keen on taking classes in the summer now, that may change when she gets older.

Socialization: We live in the middle of town, it's really hard not to learn to get along with folks of many different ages/genders/colors/religions/etc when you live out in the real world on a daily basis.

"what is the ciricular that you follow"? ABeka DVD accredited.

"does the child receive academic quality and completeness from being home schooled"? Yes, ABeka is an accredited school out of FL. As for college, she will be prepped for whatever she wants to pursue.

PKevman

In homeschool, the students receive all of the same basics that are considered necessary to a good education: English, Math, Science, Reading, Writing, History, Geography, Spelling, etc....

Furthermore, we participate in a homeschool group with other families who homeschool. This gives the children a chance to be with other children who are being homeschooled, so the social interaction argument is weak at best. And who better to interact with children than their own parents? Homeschooling allows the parent to directly impact what their child is taught and thus what type of person they become. YOU have the opportunity to shape their young and fragile minds, and not some government run organization that parrots what must be taught there. (Example that evolutionary theory is a scientific fact).
Our children are given a very well-rounded education! Locke, I would suggest you look into homeschooling a little more before attacking it. There are now millions of children around this country who are being homeschooled, so it isn't hard to find resources and information on the subject.

PKevman

Homeschool kids test higher across the board in all academic studies than public AND private school kids. That is a fact!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Locke is from Australia. I've only talked to one person from Australia/New Zealand that likes the idea of homeschooling. And, we used to have a "professional educator" from Australia on TOL who likened homeschooling to "do-it-yourself brain surgery." :chuckle:

The Berean

ebenz47037 said:
Locke is from Australia. I've only talked to one person from Australia/New Zealand that likes the idea of homeschooling. And, we used to have a "professional educator" from Australia on TOL who likened homeschooling to "do-it-yourself brain surgery." :chuckle:
Just wondering is homeschooling popular at all in Europe? I have a feeling it's not.

PKevman

ebenz47037 said:

Ken Ham is very pro-homeschool :)

PKevman

Homeschool statistics:

Homeschool statistics:

Academic Statistics
The average homeschool 8th grade student performs four grade levels above the national average (Rudner study). One in four homeschool students (24.5%) are enrolled one or more grades above age level. Students who have been home schooled their entire lives have the highest scholastic achievement. In every subject and at every grade level of the ITBS and TAP batteries, homeschool students scored significantly higher than their counterparts in public and private schools.

Homeschool profile

Median amount spent on home schooling per child in the US - $450

Household incomes

18% of home school families earn less than $25,000, 44% of households between $25,000 and $49,000.

Religion

Over 75% attend religious services

Television

65.3% of 4th grade homeschoolers spend one hour or less per day watching television

Regulation

States with High government regulation of home schools - homeschool battery score - 86

States with Moderate government regulation of home schools - homeschool battery score - 85

States with Low government regulation of home schools - homeschool battery score - 86

Certification

Performance of 4th grade home schoolers where at least one parent was certified - Composite Percentage Score 82

Performance of 4th grade home schoolers where neither parent was certified - Composite Percentage Score 82

Minority Performance

Home school - average reading score (white) - 87 percentile; Public school - average reading score (white) - 61 percentile

Home school - average reading score (minority) - 87 percentile; Public school - average reading score (minority) -49 percent

Home school - average math score (white) - 82 percentile; Public school - average math score (white) - 60 percentile

Home school - average math score (minority) - 77 percentile; Public school - average math score (minority) - 50 percentile

For data above reference Brian D. Ray, PhD, Home Schooling on the Threshold (NHERI Publications, PO Box 13939, Salem, OR 97309), and HSLDA, Home Education Across the USA (HSLDA, 17333 Pickwick Dr., Purcellville, VA 20132), and HSLDA, Home Schooling Works, Pass it on! Rudner Report, (HSLDA, 17333 Pickwick Dr., Purcellville, VA 20132).

PKevman

Why so successful?

Why so successful?

There are three main reasons that have been given as the factors for why homeschooling has been so succesful academically:
#1: parental involvement.
Educators everywhere will tell you that it is almost impossible to achieve success in education without cooperation, re-enforcement, and abiding interest registered by parents. In most homeschools, parents have committed themselves to a significant interest in their children's education.

#2: one-on-one teaching. This is especially important during the early years of educational development for children. Almost every family whose children do homework in the evenings already knows what it is to home school! The amount of one-on-one time spent with children, either in the class room or outside of classroom, often is an indicator of the success those children will enjoy in education. With home schooling, parents are inevitably drawn into one-on-one tutoring work with their children, especially as they work through phonics programs and early arithmetic.

#3: In the Homeschool, each child can be treated as an individual.
No two children are exactly alike. Unfortunately, as education becomes increasingly centralized and bureaucratized, the inevitable direction approaches a "one-size-fits-all" curriculum and classroom structure. Parents tend to be very capable of understanding their child's abilities and learning styles and tailor make the curriculum to the student, maximizing the educational experience for each child. The home school can be very flexible, adapting itself to the needs of each child. Students progress at their own pace in each subject. If one curriculum is ineffective for the student's learning style, the parent can change the curriculum. Each child has his own abilities and potentials and in the home school classroom the student remains challenged without being overwhelmed. There is no common denominator to which some students are reduced and by which others are intimidated. These factors have produced phenemenal success in home education.

An expanding base of knowledge:
As homeschooling continues to exercise itself in the free market it is fast becoming the wave of the future in education. Now technology is giving homeschool parents tools that they never had before. CD-ROM curriculum, video curriculum, satellite feeds, and on-line tutoring are bringing the best teaching tools and methods into the home.

This is a portion of an article, for the entire article, click here:

http://www.chec.org/Legislative/News/HomeschoolingStatistics/Index.html

Locke

ebenz47037 said:
Childhood education lasts thirteen years, in the US. etc.

Same as australia, primary school is 1-7, highschool is 7-12.

ebenz47037 said:
that is why my daughter has learned to socialize with all age groups, from all socio-economic backgrounds. She's very good with younger children and can talk like crazy to her own age group and knows how to speak respectfully to adults. For her, homeschooling has been the best choice.

I was not homeschooled but i have no probs talking to any of the age groups mentioned above.

I dont know how many people homeschool in australia, but i dont have any interactions with anyone that have been

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Berean said:
Just wondering is homeschooling popular at all in Europe? I have a feeling it's not.
I believe it is generally very restricted or illegal in Europe.