Here goes ... I am an atheist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

agreed, but for the grace of God were I the one writing, "I am an Atheist." I certainly haven't run after God on my own. I wouldn't believe if my eyes weren't first opened. I will be praying he does so for you!
If prayer was ever seen to have even small real effects then rational atheists at least would become theists at the same moment.

Dr.Watson

You'll live longer, be happier, have a context for existence in line with your biological imperative to survive, your intellectual need for purpose, and your emotional desire to value.

TH

I have a purpose and am satisfied with it. Intellectually. So that point is moot. Religion holds no exclusive right to intellectual desire for a purpose in life. Also, being happier could be ascribed to the fact that religious people are shown to be less intelligent than non-religious people (on average) (source). Also note that not only are smarter people more likely to be liberal atheists, but men have a greater value for sexual exclusivity (an interesting point I think).

In the current study, Kanazawa argues that humans are evolutionarily designed to be conservative, caring mostly about their family and friends, and being liberal, caring about an indefinite number of genetically unrelated strangers they never meet or interact with, is evolutionarily novel. So more intelligent children may be more likely to grow up to be liberals....

Similarly, religion is a byproduct of humans' tendency to perceive agency and intention as causes of events, to see "the hands of God" at work behind otherwise natural phenomena. "Humans are evolutionarily designed to be paranoid, and they believe in God because they are paranoid," says Kanazawa. This innate bias toward paranoia served humans well when self-preservation and protection of their families and clans depended on extreme vigilance to all potential dangers. "So, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to go against their natural evolutionary tendency to believe in God, and they become atheists."

Young adults who identify themselves as "not at all religious" have an average IQ of 103 during adolescence, while those who identify themselves as "very religious" have an average IQ of 97 during adolescence.

Here's another interesting article that discusses a report that OKCupid did in regards to its members that found that non-religious people have far superior writing abilities (among other things as well).

However, educational attainment is higher for Jews, atheists, and agnostics. They don’t try to control for that factor, but instead they look at how “serious” each user says (s)he is about his/her religion. They find that in the case of each religious group, the most proficient users are those who are least serious about their religion. However, for agnostics and atheists, the most proficient are those who are most serious about their religious preference. Basically, the less religious you are, the higher the grade level of your writing.

Ignorance is bliss they say. I know that you're intelligent, however, I think you're an outlier.

As for being more generous with the cash, does that include giving money to a church/religious organization? Or is that only those who give to non-profit/non-denominational organizations such as the red-cross (for example)?

nicholsmom

As I continue to suspect TH, you would seem advocate theism simply for the lifestyle, a purpose and a supposed longevity (questionable), all very practical reasons perhaps but not particularly honest ones imo. :think:

You don't think self interest is an honest reason??
You don't think ...??

Why not?

alwight

As I continue to suspect TH, you would seem advocate theism simply for the lifestyle, a purpose and a supposed longevity (questionable), all very practical reasons perhaps but not particularly honest ones imo. :think:
You don't think ...??

Why not?
I wouldn't be being very honest to myself was the point, even if TH's supposed benefits were true.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Only because you seem to insist on making belief something that happens to you rather than an attitude/decision made in the face of the unknowable. It would be dishonest to do or think something you know to be untrue. I'm not advocating that. I'm advocating the better and more reasonable choice given the objective vacuum.

As for the benefits, they're established. Google away. People of faith, not only Christian, are happier and (unsurprisingly) healthier. Happier, healthier people live longer, more productive lives. Equally established is the correspondence between the believer and charitable works, both in terms of financial donations and personal time attending. That's a better model for the social compact.

Atheists are, to my mind, mistaken romantics. :D

:e4e:

Last edited:

SovereigntyIsGods

Gutsy I suppose. However, if I can be tolerated, I am always interested to hear a reason to believe in any supernatural being, let alone the Christian God.

Why? What is the reasoning? Thanks.

Why? Because Man is not in the right state. Turn on the news and see what we do to each other. I'm not saying that religion makes good people. More than often it just channels their rage into another medium and aims it at a new target (something quite common around here)

Man lives in a state of sin and selfishness which can't be denied. You can try philosophies and Psychologies, but you can't get the evil out of yourself. You are not content with your thoughts and existence no matter how much you tell yourself and everyone else. But there is hope.

God has a purpose and a plan that has and will continue to present itself in the chaos. God wants to raise up a bride for himself and there was only one way to do that. He had to provide a sacrifice worthy to atone for the sins of all who will believe. This couldn't be done with any goat or lamb. It took his only begotten, in whom dwells the fullness of the Godhead bodily, to be the perfect sacrifice so that he could be with us.

The world screams of an intelligent creator. Who wouldn't want to meet him? Who wouldn't want to be his bride?

I, as well as my brothers and sisters in Christ here, will give testimony that the Lord will have a Love relationship with you. Its better than any drug and will satisfy ever facet of your life.
I weep for those of you who do not know him and i love you all. Please crack the Holy Scriptures and treat it with the same respect of at least your copy of On the Origin of Species or any other book. Hopefully you will soon realize that it isn't just a book.

Last edited:

nicholsmom

Man lives in a state of sin and selfishness which can't be denied. You can try philosophies and Psychologies, but you can't get the evil out of yourself.

This reminds me of Eustace when he was a dragon in Voyage of The Dawn Treader He scratched and clawed, and though he had great dragon claws that dug deeply, he couldn't get that dragon skin off - couldn't separate the monster from himself.

Which makes me think of the Skillet song "I Feel Like a Monster" :chuckle:

:wave:

alwight

Only because you seem to insist on making belief something that happens to you rather than an attitude/decision made in the face of the unknowable. It would be dishonest to do or think something you know to be untrue. I'm not advocating that. I'm advocating the better and more reasonable choice given the objective vacuum.

As for the benefits, they're established. Google away. People of faith, not only Christian, are happier and (unsurprisingly) healthier. Happier, healthier people live longer, more productive lives. Equally established is the correspondence between the believer and charitable works, both in terms of financial donations an personal time attending. That's a better model for the social compact.

Atheists are, to my mind, mistaken romantics. :D

:e4e:
However I think your pragmatism here is quite self evident TH. ;)

SovereigntyIsGods

This reminds me of Eustace when he was a dragon in Voyage of The Dawn Treader He scratched and clawed, and though he had great dragon claws that dug deeply, he couldn't get that dragon skin off - couldn't separate the monster from himself.

Which makes me think of the Skillet song "I Feel Like a Monster" :chuckle:

:wave:

Lol good analogy. And good song/band. No album of theirs beats collide though

Jmiller30

Hello, and here's my reasoning

Hello, and here's my reasoning

I hope to have an open debate with both parties able to keep an open mind. not to deviate from good sound reason.
anyways- the debate is not on phyisical evidence. at least my arguments. although I believe the evidence is ample in this catigory it however easily corritible and the arguement always ends in a negative spiral. again I digress; if there is imperfection then perfection must exist, otherwise it is what simply is. without another dimension it is a singular plane. so you must either say this is how it is, no other possibility (in the terms of improvement) or that this is imperfect (otherwise known as sin; sin meaning missing the mark, less then perfect) and there is something else that is perfect.

however since we have an idea of the 2 sides then both must exist. for we have conceived them. everything we know is either a truth or a perversion(alteration) of a truth. we cannot create; the mere fact we have conceived the idea of perfection says something/someone must be perfect.
thus leaving an opening for God
I would enjoy hearing your side of this

horiturk

welcome,it's perfectly fine to not believe in any religion and i respect your beliefs and opinions. consider a new way to define God,believe in the possibility instead of thinking it impossible altogether. After all God is the only logical conclusion to the creation of the universe,everything constructed has the fingerprint of intelligence on it. Believing in the possibility of God doesn't mean you have to worship,pray or be superstitious. I believe God is an energy,not a person....leave yourself open to possibilities and you'll stand in awe of the universe as a product of divine intelligence even through the lens of science. :)

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
and yet no one has offered their "reasons".
Since faith in God is entirely experiential in nature, any reason I give you for believing in God you will simply dismiss as invalid as it cannot be tested to any standard you would accept.

I will give you one reason that I believe in God. It is a change in my heart reflected in my changed attitudes towards people. Where is used to see people who "deserved" to be ridiculed because they stood out in some way (i.e. fat, slow, handicapped) I now see a human that God loves enough to send His Son to save.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It seems you guys effectively scared him away...
Considering how he was met, I'd say he must scare easily then...perhaps he was searching for TimidityOnline.com :think:

splendid job!

Though given the content of those six, glorious posts of summer he left us it's no great shakes. He came, he saw, he ran away. He'll live to not fight, somewhere else, another day.

I don't quite have the hang of this yet ....
:rip:

Last edited:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Gutsy I suppose. However, if I can be tolerated, I am always interested to hear a reason to believe in any supernatural being, let alone the Christian God.

I'm sometimes interested to hear what it is that atheists don't believe in. When you say a supernatural being, for instance, what on Earth do you mean?

Or is it that you make it your special thing to specifically deny the existence of each and every god that people worship from day to day? You know, like the way some people collect stamps or I play chess?

nicholsmom

Gutsy I suppose.
Note to newby: lurk awhile before posting. You couldn't possibly have missed the many respected atheists on this board if you'd lurked for any decent amount of time.

However, if I can be tolerated,
Atheists are tolerated if they mind their manners - but I must say, you must be very rude and presumptuous indeed to have earned yourself a negative reputation after only 6 posts :shut: Wow.

I am always interested to hear a reason to believe in any supernatural being, let alone the Christian God.

Have a look around the site. It's free and fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.