He was a dirty stinkin Homo

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sounds to me like he was just a mentally unstable individual looking to blame his urges on anything. That said, most of the urges he mentioned shouldn't even have any stigma attatched to them - it's the religious people that put the stigma upon them, thus causing the mentally unstable conneted to religion to act out when their faith contradicts their true nature.

In a sense, it's the church that was the creator of the shooter in the first place...

Dumbest post of the month???

Sharri

Sounds to me like he was just a mentally unstable individual looking to blame his urges on anything. That said, most of the urges he mentioned shouldn't even have any stigma attatched to them - it's the religious people that put the stigma upon them, thus causing the mentally unstable conneted to religion to act out when their faith contradicts their true nature.

In a sense, it's the church that was the creator of the shooter in the first place...

Church has nothing to do with why this kid did what he did, like you said he blamed his urges on anything except the fact that evil took over this kids life. Church doesn't create evil.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Church has nothing to do with why this kid did what he did, like you said he blamed his urges on anything except the fact that evil took over this kids life. Church doesn't create evil.

I agree. Other than possibly the environment that he grew up in, the only thing that comes into play with ANYONE'S actions is choice and personal accountability.

Punisher1984

While it's true that he was unstable and looked to blame his urges on other things, the stigma ascribed to those urges came from the church - promting the mentally disturbed individual to lash out at the church for stigmatizing him. Had the church not atatched stigma to his urges, this might not have happened (note: there's no guarantee that he wouldn't lash out over other issues that troubled him - he was unstable, after all...)

Adnas for the church creating "evil:" "evil" is just a point of view, but one can argue that churches have produced things that many people call "evil" (inquisitions, holy wars, discrimination, etc...). So that comment is moot...

Punisher1984

I agree. Other than possibly the environment that he grew up in, the only thing that comes into play with ANYONE'S actions is choice and personal accountability.

I'll have to disagree with you there: we are the sum of our predispositions (genetic, social and environmental), thus one can call into question whether there really is such a thing as "choice" or accountability...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"I hate you people for leaving me out of so many fun things. And no don't @#%$ say, "well thats your fault" because it isnt, you people had my phone #, and I asked and all, but no. no no no dont let the weird looking KID come along, ohh @#%$ nooo."

Gee I don't remember Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer resorting to a killing spree. :idunno:

PlastikBuddha

What does? It seems like the finger-pointing is going in all directions instead of just acknowledging that he was disturbed and unstable. It wasn't church, it wasn't music, it wasn't homosexuality- he was nuts.

Granite

Hall of Fame
No kidding. "Crazy homicidal basketcase" is all this sad story boils down to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sharri

What does? It seems like the finger-pointing is going in all directions instead of just acknowledging that he was disturbed and unstable. It wasn't church, it wasn't music, it wasn't homosexuality- he was nuts.

You need to get your facts right, I never said Church had anything to do with why this kid did what he did, I was responding to someone else.

Yes, let's acknowledge this kid was angry, not nuts.

PlastikBuddha

You need to get your facts right, I never said Church had anything to do with why this kid did what he did, I was responding to someone else.
The church bit wasn't directed at you, but a general comment. My point was that there are attempts to blame everything but the kid himself it seems.
Yes, let's acknowledge this kid was angry, not nuts.
He was angry, but he was crazy too. I get angry. I don't shoot people. It takes something more to make a shooter.

drbrumley

The church bit wasn't directed at you, but a general comment. My point was that there are attempts to blame everything but the kid himself it seems.

He was angry, but he was crazy too. I get angry. I don't shoot people. It takes something more to make a shooter.

Psychotropic drugs?

drbrumley

Drugs are usually an indication that someone has problems but to lay the blame on them is, to say the least, premature.

In this case I agree, it would be premature.

Did the drugs cause the massacre or prevent it from happening earlier or in an even worse way?

Well, it is known that Clebold and some others who also did such acts were on these crazy drugs. It doesn't diminish what they did. But something sets them off now, compared to back in the day, this kind of thing was unheard of.

PlastikBuddha

Well, it is known that Clebold and some others who also did such acts were on these crazy drugs. It doesn't diminish what they did. But something sets them off now, compared to back in the day, this kind of thing was unheard of.
Something indeed. What that something is, though- that's the million dollar question. Do you think these people would have been better off without medical treatment?